PDA

View Full Version : Craigston or Craigstown?

McS29614
17-Jul-11, 14:38
is it Craigstown or Craigton? and where is it?
On 1861 Census it looks like "Craigtton Parish of Wick".
On a birth registration in 1863 it's "Craigston Burgh of Wick".
On a death registration in 1868 it looks more like "Craigtown District of Wick".

I've googled Craigton/Craigtown and can't find a clear answer; it's not on the O.S. First series Map #116 as far as I can see.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a landowner named Craig but I cannot find that information again either :confused.

Can anyone help?
Martin

Mosser
17-Jul-11, 17:35
is it Craigstown or Craigton? and where is it?
On 1861 Census it looks like "Craigtton Parish of Wick".
On a birth registration in 1863 it's "Craigston Burgh of Wick".
On a death registration in 1868 it looks more like "Craigtown District of Wick".

I've googled Craigton/Craigtown and can't find a clear answer; it's not on the O.S. First series Map #116 as far as I can see.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a landowner named Craig but I cannot find that information again either :confused.

Can anyone help?
Martin

Craigstown was a farm more or less where Henrietta Street, Wick, is today.
Mosser

McS29614
17-Jul-11, 17:47
Thanks Mosser,

Do you know anything about the history of Craigstown Farm? My great great grandfather lived there between 1851 and 1891.
Thanks in advance
Martin

Mosser
18-Jul-11, 17:03
Thanks Mosser,

Do you know anything about the history of Craigstown Farm? My great great grandfather lived there between 1851 and 1891.
Thanks in advance
Martin

Sorry I made a typo, it should be Craigston. Sorry that I have no more info on the farm
Mosser

Sinkler
05-May-17, 20:20
Hi Martin, did you ever find out any more about Craigstown? Was your gg gf William Budge? I only ask as I am trying to trace my gg gf James Sinclair who was a Ploughman at Hillhead in the 1880s and looking at the Groat at that time William Budge is described as a Farmer living at Hillhead, but on the 1881 census he is described as being at Craigstown. Assuming this is the same man, did you discover anything more about him or the farm? Malcolm