PDA

View Full Version : Asda Planning Passed

Niall Fernie
27-Sep-06, 13:46
I've just heard from my Dad (Bill Fernie) who is in Inverness just now, that Adsa's planning application has been passed, 18 votes for and 8 against.

dragonfly
27-Sep-06, 13:50
woohoo!!!! great news niall, thanks for letting us know

cuddlepop
27-Sep-06, 13:50
Its good to see that commensense won through in the end.:D

Geo
27-Sep-06, 14:00
Is it at the original site?

bigpete
27-Sep-06, 14:07
Wonder who the 8 were against?

jaykay
27-Sep-06, 14:07
Wonderful news! Nice to see that common sense prevailed in the end!!!

Piglet
27-Sep-06, 14:12
Fantastic news. :D

Look forward to shopping when it opens.

unicorn
27-Sep-06, 14:15
absolutely fantastic news!!!!!!!!!! well done to all for making these people see sense......

molly
27-Sep-06, 14:31
I am so delighted to read the forum today and find that ASDA is coming. Good News. Cant wait to see what happens. Thurso is changing and not before time.

henry20
27-Sep-06, 14:37
Yipee, another supermarket to drag the hubby round!! I'm sure he'll be delighted :D

kwbrown111
27-Sep-06, 15:08
Brilliant, if what ASDA rep said at Pentland Housing AGM it should be up and running by Summer/Autumn next year

concerned resident
27-Sep-06, 15:10
Delighted to hear something positive for Thurso Area, only wish it could have been dealt with in Caithness, and not have to have Inverness show us the way forward.

Buttercup
27-Sep-06, 15:10
Great News:D ~ Look forward to it, my pay will go a bit further now!

Jeid
27-Sep-06, 15:13
Yipee, another supermarket to drag the hubby round!! I'm sure he'll be delighted :D

He's gonna love that I'm sure [lol]

changilass
27-Sep-06, 15:19
Excellent news. A big thanks to Bill and Niall for letting us know so quickly:D

teritoots
27-Sep-06, 15:31
Brilliant!!!:lol: :D

Billy Boy
27-Sep-06, 15:32
thats made my day lol:lol:

sharon
27-Sep-06, 15:34
:Razz fantastic news cant wait.... the kids love shopping in tesco and asda so will make my life easier and we will be spoilt for choice where to shop now!

nightowl
27-Sep-06, 15:38
Fantastic, "icing on the cake" for us Wickers.

GGS
27-Sep-06, 15:41
Good news
Long overdue

peter macdonald
27-Sep-06, 15:48
Congrats to Thurso on getting Asda Well done!!!! Just as an aside were the three Thurso councilors who voted against Asda in the first place involved in this vote??? and did they stick to their principles and vote against Asda again ??
"I think we should be told" Again well done to Thurso fowk!!!!!

pennys
27-Sep-06, 16:01
great news. Thanks for letting us know so quickly:)

sapphire
27-Sep-06, 16:06
I'm delighted...just one problem..I think I'm gonna need another job to pay for all the spending I'm planning to do between Tesco and Asda ;)

Mr P Cannop
27-Sep-06, 16:14
I've just heard from my Dad (Bill Fernie) who is in Inverness just now, that Adsa's planning application has been passed, 18 votes for and 8 against.

who was for and who was against it ??

Jeid
27-Sep-06, 16:37
Does it really matter Paul?

henry20
27-Sep-06, 16:40
who was for and who was against it ??

What difference does it make? The end result is the same. Asda is on its way, 18 votes say so, 8 votes don't have a say in the matter. End of story.

bigjjuk
27-Sep-06, 16:48
I think we do need to know Henry, after all our votes keep them in power so to speak and if they are still not representing the people properly then we need to know to maybe make a change.

henry20
27-Sep-06, 16:51
I think we do need to know Henry, after all our votes keep them in power so to speak and if they are still not representing the people properly then we need to know to maybe make a change.

Used in the right way, this information may prove useful to some, but the last Asda thread (IMO) turned into a mini hate campaign for those that voted against or weren't there.

WeeBurd
27-Sep-06, 16:56
Fantastic news for the county.. particularly us weeman folk o' Kaitness!!:lol:

loo-b-loo
27-Sep-06, 17:56
Thats brill news I won't have to miss out on my designer "Georgio" clothes!!!
Great news for Wick as Tesco and Asda will now compete making prices better for the customers!

zappster
27-Sep-06, 18:00
brilliant news

simpsoney
27-Sep-06, 18:47
Excellent news. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

drmopp
27-Sep-06, 18:51
A good result. Wonder where it'll be built, it'll save me having to go through to the Tesco when it opens, or maybe I'll still stick with Lidl.

bigpete
27-Sep-06, 18:53
Found this on BBC news: "Approval for far north Asda store Asda has been given planning approval for a Superstore and petrol station in Thurso, Caithness.
The community council and a majority of local councillors supported the development.
They said that it would mean spending on shopping which is currently lost to Wick and Inverness will be retained in Thurso.
However, objectors said they had not given up on reversing the decision made by Highland councillors" (My emphasis)

So the fat lady 'aint sung yet!

Let's hope their efforts to deny us a good shopping alternative does not succeed!

hereboy
27-Sep-06, 19:04
Joke from the Edinburgh Festival

Hey - you want to feel really handsome? Go shopping at Asda.
Brendon Burns at the Pleasance

I thank you.

young_fishin_neep
27-Sep-06, 19:20
hello guys and gals, i was at the meeting today as mum (tugmistress) had to speak at the meeting, the game aint over yet, the whole thing has to go through something to do with the scottish executive so it could all change, hopefully not though!
fingers crossed for the next 20something days.

kaz xx

obiron
27-Sep-06, 19:28
cheaper shopping and clothes man its got to come here.

Cattach
27-Sep-06, 19:32
Used in the right way, this information may prove useful to some, but the last Asda thread (IMO) turned into a mini hate campaign for those that voted against or weren't there.

Those people were elected to represent the views of the public and quite clearly did not. There was some self-interest which is unacceptable in ademocracy and they must now be brought to book through the ballot box. Knowing how Caithness councillors voted is essential. There may have been some hate which is a pity but that does not alter the fact that tghey did not represented the views of the vast majority.
Come May they will see the error of their ways.

Cattach
27-Sep-06, 19:36
Found this on BBC news: "Approval for far north Asda store Asda has been given planning approval for a Superstore and petrol station in Thurso, Caithness.
The community council and a majority of local councillors supported the development.
They said that it would mean spending on shopping which is currently lost to Wick and Inverness will be retained in Thurso.
However, objectors said they had not given up on reversing the decision made by Highland councillors" (My emphasis)

So the fat lady 'aint sung yet!

Let's hope their efforts to deny us a good shopping alternative does not succeed!

It is piry those people who bought Dounreay house at knock down prices and retired on a good government pension cannot accept that they did well in the property market and the view from their windows for a few years was a bonus. They should now shut up and let us all benefit from the retail market that the majority of the country have enjoyed for a number of years.

brokencross
27-Sep-06, 19:39
I presume the "objectors" must be the nearby residents who originally wrote the letters of objection at the first application, and not the councillors who voted against. This was a review situation so indeed if anyone is taking it forward they will have to go to a "higher" court or decision making body.

henry20
27-Sep-06, 19:57
. There was some self-interest which is unacceptable.

There may have been some hate which is a pity.

I totally agree with you on these points.

I just hope that any anger is vented through the ballot boxes and not as personal (verbal) attacks!!

I am in no way connected to any councillors (and would struggle to name any) but every decision they make is 'wrong' in someones eyes.

I'll actually point out that I have never voted as I don't know what each party stands for - so maybe I would feel differently if I did :)

Tugmistress
27-Sep-06, 20:00
it's been a long day and most of the 'council speak' i did not understand.
From what i can gather, the war may not have been won yet but this particular battle has. Niall i wish your dad had said hello, i was feeling very lonely speaking to that lot for a few seconds and more than a little nervous.
The petition i set up was admitted and i was granted time to speak on behalf of asda and the local community feeling towards wanting it. excuse my fuzzy memory as today has been 'different' but i can remember one councillor stating 'be cautious of the petition, it is not site specific, which is what we are dealing with today' and he also said 'children have signed this petiton'. On the petition statement, i actually named pennyland, so it is site specific, and from what i can gather by my daughter (the neep) going through it with me, yes there are some young adults that have signed it, but had i had the chance to reply i would have stated that these young adults are the next generation of voters, of employess, of shoppers etc.
it's been a scary day and i am having a beer, so excuse me please, i will probably think of other stuff later lol. and i managed to escape the P&J journalist :D

peter macdonald
27-Sep-06, 20:02
Cattach I could not agree with you more!! One of the problems for years with local government was the lack of accountability of councillors How many times in the past were things done behind closed doors with the electors knowing absolutly nothing about what went on???? Lets face it if had not been for the Thurso public being so forthright in their opposition to the original decision then
the thought of Asda coming to Caithness would have died there and then. I think the councillors owe the folks at least a thank you!!!
PS Well done Tugmistress Enjoy ur pint!!

Piglet
27-Sep-06, 20:03
Well Done Tug.
Its always the way you think of things you could have said when its too late. :confused

hobbes1962
27-Sep-06, 20:06
That's great news!!! Its definitely what this town needs.

highlander
27-Sep-06, 20:08
Fantastic news, but i still think we should now vote for getting a duel carrageway built, cos with us all going back and fore lol

bigpete
27-Sep-06, 20:08
Well done tugmistress! petition admitted - that's good.

I think it has to go to the Executive for ratification as (under new laws) if it affects the 'local plan' it has to go higher?

Really it's terrible, the vast majority of Thurso (and outwith) want the store, it's mainly those with views that will be interrupted and various persons (must be careful as a certain Councillor is contacting his Solicitor about me) who object to what is happening all over the country.
We should be ripping their hands off [ASDA] - Dounreay is going, lets encourage others into the area - this ASDA pathetic action WILL be noted by potential businesses and these Councillors 'aint done us any favours

henry20
27-Sep-06, 20:14
Fantastic news, but i still think we should now vote for getting a duel carrageway built, cos with us all going back and fore lol

I'd agree with that - even if its just so we can get past all the tractors!! :lol:

Tugmistress
27-Sep-06, 20:14
Thanks for congrats folks, but it ain't over yet.
What big pete says is ringing bells with me in my shattered state about the exec, but if i have to do it again i will :) though gawd only knows where!
and yes peter, i am definately enjoying my pint :D

Murchiemannie
27-Sep-06, 20:32
Well done to Thurso and all of Caithness.
The more stores the better for the shoppers......keen competion always brings the prices down and that can only be a good thing.
Bring it on...

unicorn
27-Sep-06, 20:40
WELL DONE TUGMISTRESS :) you have done a fantastic job!!

Max
27-Sep-06, 20:42
Fantastic! I canna wait!

bigpete
27-Sep-06, 23:06
For those who want to know it was Councillors Saxon, Mackay, Jackson & Smith who voted against ASDA at Inverness today, obviously NOT representing their voters.

golach
27-Sep-06, 23:28
What big pete says is ringing bells with me in my shattered state about the exec, but if i have to do it again i will :) though gawd only knows where!
Well done Tuggs

Victor Vendetta
27-Sep-06, 23:43
'children have signed this petiton'

Presumably not the same ones who appeared as objectors to the original proposal, one of whom was nine.

The objectors may be wriggling on the hook but they ain't getting off.

The best the Thurso councillors who voted against Asda can hope for is that enough people forget between now and next years elections.

And to be truthful we probably will, they are not worth bothering about.

big man
27-Sep-06, 23:48
e co op or morrissons probably close but good to see a decent shop getting eh go ahead

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Sep-06, 02:00
For those who want to know it was Councillors Saxon, Mackay, Jackson & Smith who voted against ASDA at Inverness today, obviously NOT representing their voters.

Just out of interest, how many of said names are actually from Thurso? Curious is all.

Ann
28-Sep-06, 02:10
All but Smith are Thurso representatives.

Mr P Cannop
28-Sep-06, 07:29

the same names crop up yet again

liamofthurso
28-Sep-06, 07:56
Its great asda got the go ahead, we need a new superstore so everyone doesn't shop in wick.
A great adition to the shopping community

bigpete
28-Sep-06, 08:01
Hi - bit of a correction. Councillors Jackson and MacKay are not members the full planning committee and therefore do not have a vote, but they made their feelings known as they stood up and spoke against the application.
Sorry about that

JAWS
28-Sep-06, 08:57
Hope that an eye is kept on this one in case a small, self-centred minority try to ride roughshod over the interests of the majority.

It is as well for people to remember that, with the exception of a few decent, fairminded people, the majority of people who enter politics do so in order to impose their particular view of things on the rest of us.

To translate the comment about "overturning" the decision into everyday English, read it as, "We will keep trampling everybody else underfoot until we force everybody to accept what we want!"

Why do I keep having a picture of petulant toddlers throwing a tantrum at the sweet counter?

Well done, Tuggs. You obviously had more guts than I would have had and I don't mind admitting it!

bigjjuk
28-Sep-06, 09:08
You guys from Thurso, must make a real effort to remember the guys who voted against what you wanted. When the elections arrive next year, i say make em pay. Mayb they will listen then. Otherwise they are just going to do it again

Wickerchick
28-Sep-06, 09:16
Brilliant news Tesco and Asda is soo going to change Wick and Thurso and much needed change wahay

Cattach
28-Sep-06, 13:23

Keep up the fight! The objects cannot win in the end. If not this time then next time ASDA will come. Ludites always lose out in the end. Whether we like it or not the world is changing in all respects and certainly it is no different in business. More small shops closed in Wick and Thurso before the advent of the supermarkets than since they came. Remember all those small businesses on every street corner in the two towns - most all gone before Templetons, Presto, Safeway, Morrisions, The big Co-ops, Somerfield etc?!
It is just the way things are and the changes in society and the needs and aspirations of the public.

Boozeburglar
28-Sep-06, 14:16
I would hate to have my view of Thurso bay exchanged for one of a supermarket or anything else. People impacted directly are entitled to object to such proposals, and their views should carry much more weight than those unaffected, whose only concern is to have more available goods.

Your councilors are your elected representatives, but they do not have to follow the public mood on every decision they take. They are expected to have a more informed basis for decisions, and act accordingly. That is how our type of democracy works.

Massive stores being part of societal change and the inevitability of such changes is just tripe.

Their activities are far from sympathetic to the genuine societal change going on. People have a growing awareness of the carbon wasteful impact of mass transportation of goods, and the exploitation of workers involved in the production of cheap goods.

The only reason companies like Asda and Tesco are able to compete, and put superstores where there is no rational need for them, or sustainable market, is that they squeeze their suppliers to subsidize their operations and operate on a ruthless monopoly basis, undercutting the competition and forcing them out of business.

They will strip the remaining local shops of business and once the competition has surrendered (Co-op, etc...) they will do what they like.

All this talk of progress and dismissal of heartfelt objections seems plain selfish to me.

Come on. We are talking about just another big shop versus the destruction of an area that holds a precious part of Thurso’s charm for many former and present inhabitants.

Why exactly does it have to be put at Pennyland?

If there is such a demand for it, would it not sit just as happily somewhere else?

Does Dounreay’s legacy have to be a population so desperate for symbols of change and ‘progress’ they are prepared to obliterate every reminder of Caithness as a farming community, and scar every hill with industrial structures spinning and whining in disdain of what beauty existed in the open skies we once took for granted?

henry20
28-Sep-06, 14:26
I would hate to have my view of Thurso bay exchanged for one of a supermarket or anything else.

Why exactly does it have to be put at Pennyland?

If there is such a demand for it, would it not sit just as happily somewhere else?

A supermarket has to be built somewhere if granted approval and the planning law clearly states that a view is not a right, but a privilege. I am led to believe that 'I object because I can't see the bay' is not a valid objection.

Someones view would have to be destroyed, so yes - it would sit just as happily somewhere else - disrupting someone else's view.

I have defended councillors that they should not get personal attacks for their vote - but only if their vote has proper basis. If they genuinly feel that Asda's presence will be counter-beneficial to the county, fine. If it is because their view or family/friends view is disrupted, then this is abusing their vote. Their vote should be impartial with the communities benefit in mind.

Also, was the site not earmarked for a hotel?? To me this would disrupt the view just as much as a supermarket.

MagicalTrevor
28-Sep-06, 14:36
The only good prospect we can hope for is if ASDA and Tesco get tangled in a price war to win customers. However I find it quite likely that as local small businesses are strangled to death and people become increasingly dependant on these superstores, prices will go up probably much higher than you would expect. In fact I reckon prices will be like those inner city "express" stores so those of you looking to save a buck or two in the short term should maybe think about your local buddies who face a grim future.

golach
28-Sep-06, 14:36
Having walked the road from Thurso to Scrabster many times as a bairn and a visitor ( I dont drive ) I am sure a supermarket building would be a welcomed windbreak from the usual snell winds coming off the bay. I know the Rocket Shed was always a good place to get the breath back

henry20
28-Sep-06, 14:41
The only good prospect we can hope for is if ASDA and Tesco get tangled in a price war to win customers. However I find it quite likely that as local small businesses are strangled to death and people become increasingly dependant on these superstores, prices will go up probably much higher than you would expect. In fact I reckon prices will be like those inner city "express" stores so those of you looking to save a buck or two in the short term should maybe think about your local buddies who face a grim future.

While I may shop in Asda or Tesco's, I shan't be turning my back on the small local businesses. In my case, the only businesses likely to suffer that I use at the moment will be Co-op or Somerfield. Even then, I do my majority of shopping in a big Tesco shop in Inverness. If the local clothes companies catered for a wider range of people then there wouldn't be so much demand for New Look, Tesco & Asda. I for one would struggle to buy anything out of McAllans.

Murdina Bug
28-Sep-06, 15:03
After reading most of these posts my first thought was that it's a good job that witch-hunts are no longer going on 'cos most of you would make a very good 'angry mob'!

Just remember that some folk did object (they do have a right to) so the councillers that also objected were reflecting the views of members of their wards and not just doing so for devilment.

Finally, they were objecting to the LOCATION of the store, not against Asda itself - a point which a lot of people seem to have missed.

Humerous Vegetable
28-Sep-06, 15:53
Yes, local councillors are our elected representatives...........they should, therefore, represent the marjority view. You are not claiming, I hope, that only a minority of Thurso citizens want decent retail outlets?

bigjjuk
28-Sep-06, 16:08
A supermarket has to be built somewhere if granted approval and the planning law clearly states that a view is not a right, but a privilege. I am led to believe that 'I object because I can't see the bay' is not a valid objection.

Someones view would have to be destroyed, so yes - it would sit just as happily somewhere else - disrupting someone else's view.

I have defended councillors that they should not get personal attacks for their vote - but only if their vote has proper basis. If they genuinly feel that Asda's presence will be counter-beneficial to the county, fine. If it is because their view or family/friends view is disrupted, then this is abusing their vote. Their vote should be impartial with the communities benefit in mind.

Also, was the site not earmarked for a hotel?? To me this would disrupt the view just as much as a supermarket.

Well said Henry, Medina bugg did you miss henry's post about views not being a valid reason????? Witch hunt i would say no, voicing our views to a councillor who has just turned his hearing of to the majority or has his own self opinions on it....yes

peter macdonald
28-Sep-06, 18:15
"They will strip the remaining local shops of business and once the competition has surrendered (Co-op, etc...) they will do what they like."
I have asked this question frequently ..who are all these local businesss who will be put out of business ??? Nearly all local shops in Wick and Thurso are niche shops selling high quality goods eg Bews the Butcher, MacKays fish shop , Hugos tackle shop in Wick ,Blackstairs Fish shop in Wick etc and matter how good Tesco and Asda are I dont think their beef fish etc will come near the quality of the locals!! the rest of Wick town centre mostly consists of take aways and charity shops
Regarding the "competition" there have been threads frequently complaining about Somerfields(in its many guises) and the Coop in both Wick and Thurso ,the Coop had the cheek to object to Tesco in Wick --a different story to when it opened its supermarket in Wick and finished off most the last of the small shops in Pulteney--- it was selling goods cheaper over the counter than the local shopkeepers could buy them wholesale for!! If the Coop was really bothered about Wick it would start to clean up/demolish all the eyesore property it owns scattered about the town It gets what it deserves
Sorry for the rant

JAWS
28-Sep-06, 23:18
"They will strip the remaining local shops of business and once the competition has surrendered (Co-op, etc...) they will do what they like."
I have asked this question frequently ..who are all these local businesss who will be put out of business ??? Nearly all local shops in Wick and Thurso are niche shops selling high quality goods eg Bews the Butcher, MacKays fish shop , Hugos tackle shop in Wick ,Blackstairs Fish shop in Wick etc and matter how good Tesco and Asda are I dont think their beef fish etc will come near the quality of the locals!! the rest of Wick town centre mostly consists of take aways and charity shops
Regarding the "competition" there have been threads frequently complaining about Somerfields(in its many guises) and the Coop in both Wick and Thurso ,the Coop had the cheek to object to Tesco in Wick --a different story to when it opened its supermarket in Wick and finished off most the last of the small shops in Pulteney--- it was selling goods cheaper over the counter than the local shopkeepers could buy them wholesale for!! If the Coop was really bothered about Wick it would start to clean up/demolish all the eyesore property it owns scattered about the town It gets what it deserves
Sorry for the rantThe same sad sorry record gets resurrected every time a Supermarket opens and I have yet to discover a Deceased Town Centre.

As for the Co-op and it's silly game what can I say?
They decided to exercise their prerogative to try to stop me shopping at Tesco.
Well, I decided to exercise my prerogative to stop shopping at the Co-op and I haven’t spent one penny there since I heard about their attempt to restrict my choice of shop. .

Piglet
28-Sep-06, 23:22
Everyone has the right to shop where they want to shop but we also have the right to get a large supermarket here for a wider selection of products at cheaper prices.

Why should we be paying inflated prices for food & petrol just because we live in a beautiful part of the world?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Sep-06, 23:23
Tescos and Asda in Caithness.About time too.Will make all the wee traders better because now the competition has arrived.:D

Cattach
29-Sep-06, 07:11
Tescos and Asda in Caithness.About time too.Will make all the wee traders better because now the competition has arrived.:D

It is good that BOTH Wick and Thurso will have good shopping outlets. As someone who has lived in both towns I detest the attitudes and arrogance of people like Councillor Smith who quite clearly is anti- Thurso rather than anti ASDA. His comments in the Groat today are an insult to the vast numbers in Thurso who supported ASDA. He has in the past driven a coach and horses through planning regulations and now he has the cheek to speak against a minor alteration to the local plan and an alteration wanted and required by the people of Caithness - not just Thurso. On your bike Mr Smith or will it be in your car with cheap petrol from ASDA and Tesco - paid by the taxpayer through Highland Council and with a nice surplus out of the Councillors travel allowance!

Murdina Bug
29-Sep-06, 08:20
Yes, local councillors are our elected representatives...........they should, therefore, represent the marjority view. You are not claiming, I hope, that only a minority of Thurso citizens want decent retail outlets?

I am not claiming anything - but you seem to think that you can read my opinion from my post! All I was pointing out was that people (even if they are in the minority) have the right to object , whether or not you think their reasons are valid. And, they also have a right to be represented.

What I do object to is the big boot that comes down on anyone who dares differ from the 'majority' opinion whose mantra seems to be 'we want Asda, we don't care where it goes, what it looks like, who it affects, so long as we can save a few pennies on our petrol and buy cheap clothes'.

By the way, I do want Asda, but I also care about the overall look of the town and think that due thought should be given to planning issues longterm around the whole town instead of plonking things in the nearest open space.

robglysen
29-Sep-06, 16:58
Well, I think its a good thing, though I hope we dont lose the high street especially the local butchers. Having read the groat, I think the 'against' votes were because it hadn't been fully thought through, I do know Roger Saxon to say hello to and I respect him and believe his opinion to always be well though out and in the interests of the future of Thurso. I also believe he only objects to the location.

I'd rather they used the old auction mart site, rather than dig up a whole other field, I feel its more of a shame to lose a green field than a view, though they probably go hand in hand.

jaykay
29-Sep-06, 18:04
What is so special about the people in the Pennyland housing scheme that nothing can be built in case it may spoil their view? What about all the other areas in Thurso where green field sites have been developed and peoples views spoilt. i.e Burnside, Ormlie and the latest new housing scheme in Springpark. That is not to mention the eyesore shed that was built at Janetstown and spoilt the view of people in Glengolly, Janetstown ,Hill of Forss etc. To suggest that ASDA should build on the old mart instead of Pennyland is also a bit cheeky. Does anything need to be built there? why not landscape it and let the people of Ormlie have a nice green site to look at. After all they have had to put up with the mart for all these years and deserve a decent view for a change. The bottom line is no matter where a supermarket is built it is going to spoil somebodies view and it may as well be the people at Pennyland as anyone else!!!

bigpete
29-Sep-06, 18:29
So Councillor Smith voted against the application [for ASDA] because it was against the "Local Plan" .
However, on the 28th April councillor Smith voted to allow Tesco to build in Wick - inspite of the FACT (I quote) "this does not comply with the Local Plan". How does he explain this totally incomprehensible volte-face? For heavens sake he's a Wick Councillor; votes to allow encroachment on their 'Local Plan' but scuppers up Thurso's!
And he has the audacity to state we are all 'Shallow'!! and 'Knee-jerk reactions' and 'Will live to regret', my God how the man spouts platitudes, is he so totally unaware that the Chamber of Commerce wants ASDA, that The Community Council wants ASDA, that the Mart was TOTALLY unsuitable (access, etc etc) that near 3,000 people signed a petition, who basically does he think he is?
Of course we have two Thurso Councillors who voted against but hey, wait a minute, where do they live?

Local plan! The local plan was put in place when it was envisioned that Dounreay would go on for ever, whoops! no it 'aint, so if you got some supermarket offering to come into Thurso, bite their bleeding hands off! That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???
Green Field site? - Thurso's SURROUNDED by greenfields! A Local Plan is not encased in concrete, things CHANGE (honest), would Pennyland be happy with a great big hotel with guests looking into their windows? A noisy sports arena? .. So we won't see Smith going into ASDA? yeah right!

Yours, a knee-jerker and shallow(er)

dragonfly
29-Sep-06, 18:43
Cllr Smith is just aggreived that all the Thurso folk that will be coming to Tesco's come November/December will be staying in Thurso in Summer/Autumn 2007 once ASDA is built and hey, some wick folk might even take their hard earned money and spend it in Thurso..... shock :eek: horror :eek:

Max
29-Sep-06, 22:24
It makes my blood boil - this whole view thing! How many times have we read in the paper when people are objecting to developments that you can't buy a view. If Asda isn't developed rest assured the land will be used for something, sooner or later, and I think Asda may be the better option for the people of Pennyland. So Councillor Smith says the people of Thurso will regret our knee jerk reaction - what nonsense. Yep, I will really regret not having to pay through the nose for everything, I absolutely will regret that I have the option to buy cheaper fuel in Thurso etc etc! What rubbish!

Yours,
another knee jerker (not forgetting shallow!)

thickrodney
29-Sep-06, 23:17
i heard today (from the tullock area manager in Inverness) that asda is just the start and will start the ball rolling.
KFC, Pizza Hut, warners brothers, Micky dee, next, monsoon and more.
The whole area is earmarked for development.

pink lady
30-Sep-06, 03:44
I am so happy to hear that Asda was approved and if that means that other businesses will come along too then let them! Its about time the local shops/small businesses in this town stopped taking our small community for granted and pricing everything so highly and SHUTTING FOR LUNCH! It makes me so mad everyone going on about how it will put them out of business, it will be GOOD for them as it will give them a good kick up the backside into reality! It will give them a great oppertunity to provide us with specialised goods that even the superstores cant offer us, if they play it right their business could even go up!?

Dont even get me started on this VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS "ITS RUINING OUR VIEWS" malarky! The residents over-looking the Pennyland site got a good deal many years ago and even with an Asda built in front of their property they would still make a huge profit! What people dont realise is that the store will only be one level, under 5m high and the proposed site for building has a gradual slope towards the road so they will still be able to see the Pentland Firth clearly over the top of a shop that will benefit the town greatly! I cant wait for Asda to be built and to see most of them taking the very short journey from their houses (some probably a 1minute walk!) to indulge in the joys that Asda has to offer them! - It will definately happen!

Buttercup
30-Sep-06, 15:41
I am so happy to hear that Asda was approved and if that means that other businesses will come along too then let them! Its about time the local shops/small businesses in this town stopped taking our small community for granted and pricing everything so highly and SHUTTING FOR LUNCH! It makes me so mad everyone going on about how it will put them out of business, it will be GOOD for them as it will give them a good kick up the backside into reality! It will give them a great oppertunity to provide us with specialised goods that even the superstores cant offer us, if they play it right their business could even go up!?

Dont even get me started on this VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS "ITS RUINING OUR VIEWS" malarky! The residents over-looking the Pennyland site got a good deal many years ago and even with an Asda built in front of their property they would still make a huge profit! What people dont realise is that the store will only be one level, under 5m high and the proposed site for building has a gradual slope towards the road so they will still be able to see the Pentland Firth clearly over the top of a shop that will benefit the town greatly! I cant wait for Asda to be built and to see most of them taking the very short journey from their houses (some probably a 1minute walk!) to indulge in the joys that Asda has to offer them! - It will definately happen!
Yes Pink Lady they'll be popping into ASDA the same as the people who did the most shouting about Lidl's opening now nip in there.

obiron
30-Sep-06, 16:00
Cllr Smith is just aggreived that all the Thurso folk that will be coming to Tesco's come November/December will be staying in Thurso in Summer/Autumn 2007 once ASDA is built and hey, some wick folk might even take their hard earned money and spend it in Thurso..... shock :eek: horror :eek:

i will certainly come up frae wick to spend my money. cheapest shopping to right.

jaykay
30-Sep-06, 17:05

If councillors are not representing the majority of their voters then surely there must be some way of getting them removed from office now rather than having to wait until the next election to get rid of them. Does anyone know if there is anyway this can be done?

Buttercup
30-Sep-06, 18:20
If councillors are not representing the majority of their voters then surely there must be some way of getting them removed from office now rather than having to wait until the next election to get rid of them. Does anyone know if there is anyway this can be done?
Chances are they'll get back in anyway if nobody stands against them. Any volunteers? ;)

Bobinovich
30-Sep-06, 18:51
Cllr Smith is just aggreived that all the Thurso folk that will be coming to Tesco's come November/December will be staying in Thurso in Summer/Autumn 2007 once ASDA is built and hey, some wick folk might even take their hard earned money and spend it in Thurso..... shock horror

S'funny I did wonder about this myself - especially as he was OK with going against the Local Plan for Tesco. Hmmmm:Razz

thickrodney
30-Sep-06, 20:35
[QUOTE=bigpete;140338]So Councillor Smith voted against the application [for ASDA] because it was against the "Local Plan" .
However, on the 28th April councillor Smith voted to allow Tesco to build in Wick - inspite of the FACT (I quote) "this does not comply with the Local Plan". How does he explain this totally incomprehensible volte-face? For heavens sake he's a Wick Councillor; votes to allow encroachment on their 'Local Plan' but scuppers up Thurso's!

if this is fact, then the man should not set foot in office ever again.
Consistency is the key.

MileHigh
30-Sep-06, 20:45
I think that the Tescos site was owned by HIAL and was not a greefield site but a Industrial site. HIAL had plans to sell of land for Retail purposes and still have plans for a Retail Park next to Tescos. So the ground that Tescos is building on is not a greenfield anyway two totally different Issues i think

WeeBurd
30-Sep-06, 21:35
i heard today (from the tullock area manager in Inverness) that asda is just the start and will start the ball rolling.
KFC, Pizza Hut, warners brothers, Micky dee, next, monsoon and more.
The whole area is earmarked for development.

Aye, Rodders, you keep winding 'em up and sucking 'em in [lol] !

Spirit
30-Sep-06, 21:40
While I may shop in Asda or Tesco's, I shan't be turning my back on the small local businesses. In my case, the only businesses likely to suffer that I use at the moment will be Co-op or Somerfield. Even then, I do my majority of shopping in a big Tesco shop in Inverness. If the local clothes companies catered for a wider range of people then there wouldn't be so much demand for New Look, Tesco & Asda. I for one would struggle to buy anything out of McAllans.

I completly agree, I can't remember the last time I bought anything from McAllans or Butresses.
Tesco & Asda are also good for childrens toys, clothing etc.

WeeBurd
30-Sep-06, 21:45
I completly agree, I can't remember the last time I bought anything from McAllans or Butresses...snip

I believe they cater for a niche market - chavs! Personally I'm no too keen on having "Bench" stamped across the rear of my jeans in case someone tries to sit on me [lol] .

But seriously, the clothing shops in the town certainly do not cover the needs of the town in my opinion. I internet shop or treck to Inverness for MrBurd and I's clothing, and it's Tesco's, Asda or Next for the kids. I'd be happy to shop locally if the variety/value could match those stores.

Cattach
30-Sep-06, 21:46
I think that the Tescos site was owned by HIAL and was not a greefield site but a Industrial site. HIAL had plans to sell of land for Retail purposes and still have plans for a Retail Park next to Tescos. So the ground that Tescos is building on is not a greenfield anyway two totally different Issues i think

Still an alteration from the local plan which was the reason four local councillors gave for voting against! Smith voted for the local plan in Tesco case. Tesco and Asda are both required in Caithness. Mr Smith is not!!!

Tristan
01-Oct-06, 10:24
I don't overlook the proposed new Asda site but I can understand the people of Pennyland's views. If I was there I would try and stop it as well. They may not have the right to win but they have the right to try and stop it.

I have heard different and conflicting reports can someone tell me what use of the site is in the town plan. Was/is the site greenfield or was/is it earmarked for development as a hotel or houses etc?

Thanks

Moby
01-Oct-06, 10:55
Pennyland Farm is a greenfield site. A small portion of this site is allocated for sensitive tourism development: “….At Pennyland farm 1.2 ha of land is allocated for a hotel. Detailed proposals should retain, respect and incorporate the listed farmhouse and steading in the design and layout, as well as interpretation of the historic interest……….”
This does not mean the same thing as developing the entire area for all forms of commercial development.

The remainder of this area:
· “The Council will protect and enhance major open spaces and amenity land in and around the town…”
· “The Council will protect amenity areas from development not associated with their purpose or function”
· “… develop open land north and south of the A836 at Pennyland Farm as a public park in the long term……..”
· “…the siting of all ancillary buildings will be rigorously controlled to ensure that the panoramic view across this area will be maintained in its entirety”.
· “…..Associated outdoor recreation uses could be provided over adjoining land to the west to retain its open character….”

mickey101
01-Oct-06, 13:40
Hi
Given the strength of feeling in the community for and against this development and ignoring our local councillors( who voted with self interest of themselves and there petrol retailing friends)I think now is a good time for some good old fashioned horse trading.

Lets not forget that Asda have only got Ouline planning permission. This is only the first step and they can be blocked and delayed at every step from here on until they eventually open their doors for business. Getting outline planning permission is only a small victory. ( according to my limited understanding of the planning rules).

I think most people would agree that Pennyland farm is not the best location for it and that the other side of the Business park would be much better. I think now would be a good time ( if it is allowable) for the local council to approach Asda and offer this as an alternative site with some suitable inducements attached.

However let us not forget who owns Pennyland farm and that he will not stop trying to get something on the piece of land. He is not fussy if it is a supermarket or houses crammed in so tight you would not get a fag packet paper between the gable ends ( example the disgraceful ghetto currently being built in the centre of Thurso)

A Supermarket may be the lesser of two evils for Pennyland farm short of buying the land off the gentleman in question.

M

engiebenjy
01-Oct-06, 16:51
I was told yesterday that the houses that overlook the mart site on Ormlie hill have been sent letters from an Edinburgh based solicitor acting on behalf of a major retail company asking if they would have any objections to a supermarket and petrol station being built on the mart site. Anyone heard about this?

robglysen
01-Oct-06, 17:03
On a much lighter note, we should have rejected Asda as they now have the most irritating tv advertising campaign ever devised, I have never wanted to strangle a child until now.

On the other hand Tescos 'Every Little Helps' makes no sense at all, its gramatically incorrect, if i'd written that at school i'd have the teachers red pen all over my book.

I think i'd like to walk off into the highlands at sunset and never return.......

Max
01-Oct-06, 22:29
In answer to Mickey101 thank goodness the owner of the land at Pennyland has had the good sense to negotiate with Asda - I think the residents should be grateful that it will be Asda and I think I am right in saying, a kids play area , instead of a hotel or other development that will totally block their view. Not that anyone has a right to a view anyway! The landowners have obviously been very considerate!

pink lady
02-Oct-06, 02:56
I think most people would agree that Pennyland farm is not the best location for it and that the other side of the Business park would be much better. I think now would be a good time ( if it is allowable) for the local council to approach Asda and offer this as an alternative site with some suitable inducements attached.

However let us not forget who owns Pennyland farm and that he will not stop trying to get something on the piece of land. He is not fussy if it is a supermarket or houses crammed in so tight you would not get a fag packet paper between the gable ends ( example the disgraceful ghetto currently being built in the centre of Thurso)

A Supermarket may be the lesser of two evils for Pennyland farm short of buying the land off the gentleman in question.

M

The site chosen at Pennyland is the ONLY option for Asda.

a) The site beyond the Business Park - how do you know that it is owned by Pennyland Farm, is it not infact Srabster Farm's land which is used for farming purposes. Also this site would not catch all the traffic and is too far from the town for people without transport to walk out to.

b) The Mart is a ridiculous idea, It is right next to TWO schools and would be extremely UNSAFE for school children with so many cars. It should not even be considered on any level due to the impact it would have on traffic in the town.

Dont name a site if you do not know the facts, dont just look at a field and think "oh Asda could go there instead!" some land owners want to use their land for their own purposes and you need to think about the Business impact for Asda itself, the location is very important on whether the shop is sucsessful or not, and Pennyland is the perfect option.

a) It would catch the Dounrey, BT and Ferry traffic
b) It is on the edge of the Town so would not cause traffic issues but is also near enough that people can walk to the store

This "Gentleman in Question" - what evidence exactly do you have that he would try and pack in as many houses as possible? Has this Gentleman built any houses on his land yet NO! So do not try and promote a bad view of his developments. You obviously have some kind of sad grudge if you are making these ridiculous accusations. I believe the owners of Pennyland Farm are benefiting the town greatly by dealing with Asda. It is about time this town moved ahead with the times and stopped being "Closed for Lunch" and I believe 95% or even more of the Community agrees with this. Maybe the small number of people who overlook the site, but that is just because they are bitter at the thought of losing out on a bob or two that they arnt even entitled to. VIEWS ARE AN ADVANTAGE NOT A RIGHT!!!

I would also like to add that if you are trying to put across that the housing being built beside the Coop has anything to do with the owners at Pennyland you are wrong. So stop with the propeganda, you are working on a lost cause here, Pennyland is the only considerable option for the community! Do not try and speak for others by saying "I think most people would agree that Pennyland farm is not the best location for it" - this statment is not backed up at all is it? You just made it up, to back up your own corrupted view............................I have a funny feeling you may be an over-looking resident???

jaykay
02-Oct-06, 07:03
Well said Pink Lady! You are dead right in what you say. I would say that the vast majority of people I have spoken to think that the Pennyland site would be more suitable than the alternative sites that are continually being suggested by the anti Pennyland people.

Cattach
02-Oct-06, 07:22
Hi
Given the strength of feeling in the community for and against this development and ignoring our local councillors( who voted with self interest of themselves and there petrol retailing friends)I think now is a good time for some good old fashioned horse trading.

Lets not forget that Asda have only got Ouline planning permission. This is only the first step and they can be blocked and delayed at every step from here on until they eventually open their doors for business. Getting outline planning permission is only a small victory. ( according to my limited understanding of the planning rules).

M

Wrong on two points. Though not perfect Pennyland is the best option. The site you suggest is a crazy one. Suitable mainly for those with cars. Not everyone could walk to Pennyland but very few could walk to your site. As for the owner of Pennyland, he makes no bones about it, he is a property developer and proud of it. If he has been willing to put his money and effort into developemnts to benefit himself and the town 'Good Luck' to him.

WeeBurd
02-Oct-06, 08:16
The site chosen at Pennyland is the ONLY option for Asda.

a) The site beyond the Business Park - how do you know that it is owned by Pennyland Farm, is it not infact Srabster Farm's land which is used for farming purposes. Also this site would not catch all the traffic and is too far from the town for people without transport to walk out to.

b) The Mart is a ridiculous idea, It is right next to TWO schools and would be extremely UNSAFE for school children with so many cars. It should not even be considered on any level due to the impact it would have on traffic in the town.

Dont name a site if you do not know the facts, dont just look at a field and think "oh Asda could go there instead!" some land owners want to use their land for their own purposes and you need to think about the Business impact for Asda itself, the location is very important on whether the shop is sucsessful or not, and Pennyland is the perfect option.

a) It would catch the Dounrey, BT and Ferry traffic
b) It is on the edge of the Town so would not cause traffic issues but is also near enough that people can walk to the store

This "Gentleman in Question" - what evidence exactly do you have that he would try and pack in as many houses as possible? Has this Gentleman built any houses on his land yet NO! So do not try and promote a bad view of his developments. You obviously have some kind of sad grudge if you are making these ridiculous accusations. I believe the owners of Pennyland Farm are benefiting the town greatly by dealing with Asda. It is about time this town moved ahead with the times and stopped being "Closed for Lunch" and I believe 95% or even more of the Community agrees with this. Maybe the small number of people who overlook the site, but that is just because they are bitter at the thought of losing out on a bob or two that they arnt even entitled to. VIEWS ARE AN ADVANTAGE NOT A RIGHT!!!

I would also like to add that if you are trying to put across that the housing being built beside the Coop has anything to do with the owners at Pennyland you are wrong. So stop with the propeganda, you are working on a lost cause here, Pennyland is the only considerable option for the community! Do not try and speak for others by saying "I think most people would agree that Pennyland farm is not the best location for it" - this statment is not backed up at all is it? You just made it up, to back up your own corrupted view............................I have a funny feeling you may be an over-looking resident???

Pink Lady is bang on with her comments, although I don't think Mickey meant to imply anything of the current landowners, more so he's just offering alternative suggestions to satisfy the objectors as well as the supporters. Then again, I might be too trusting - Mickey, care to perhaps clarify?[lol]

Max
02-Oct-06, 11:27
I 100% absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with you PinkLady - perhaps some people are just a little dare I say - envious!

mickey101
02-Oct-06, 12:44
Hi
As a number of you have "Called me out" so to speak here I am.
Lets get one thing straight from the get go. If you would care to look back at the ASDA threads you will see that I have been a supporter and defender of the idea of an ASDA store all along.
That said I will address the other points.
1) I do not live in a houses overlooking the area that ASDA propose to develop.
2) If houses had gone onto the area you can guarantee that they would be packed in like "Herring in a barrel". How do I know that. Simple. look at West Gills. Look at the centre of Thurso. It doesnt take rocket science. Simple fact the Gentleman who owns Pennyland Farm is a business man and out to make the maximum return on his investment. That is it period. So please dont hold him up as a hero of the community.
3) Regarding siting of the shop. Yes I think there are better places and I am fully entitled to my opinion. I didnt mention the Mart in my post but for the record putting it there would be a mistake ( although several months ago I did think it would be a good idea) The traffic situation there is bad enough.

The reasoning against putting it slightly further out the road is flawed. What about the people walking from the other side of the river? Having it there only advantages people who are on foot from the Pennyland( and immediately surrounding )area. The local bus company like their counterparts in Inverness will quickly realise a profit opportunity and work a stop at Asda into all the Thurso bus routes, Just like Inverness.
4) Trust me a half decent Superstore in Thurso will be a winner regardless of where it is sited ( Short of the middle of the bay)

Having said all this I am more than concerned about this Witch Hunt attitude over this development and the YOU ARE EITHER FOR US OR AGAINST US attitude. This is still a free country and I am still entitled to my opinion we havent adopted MOB law yet.

I happily await the FLAK

Mickey

jaykay
02-Oct-06, 13:11
I hear what you say Mickey but the bottom line is Asda have already had outline planning permission for their chosen site at Pennyland and the question of alternative sites should not need to arise. We should not even be looking at alternative sites. However, having seen what happened to the first Asda planning application where a small minority of objectors (supported by 3 Thurso councillors voting against the wishes of the majority of their voters) managed to get the appliction refused there is a good chance that this minority group will again manage to stop Asda coming to Thurso. Therefore my argument is lets stop discussing alternative site and channel our efforts into ensuring that Asda get to build their superstore on he site that they already have outline planning permission for. Any suggestions on how we can do this would be of much more use than to be discussing alternative sites.
After all Asda have already stated that if they don't get permission to use this site then they will be looking at sites outwith Caithness. Does the majority of the population of Caithness want that? I think noT!!

Cattach
02-Oct-06, 13:40
Hi
As a number of you have "Called me out" so to speak here I am.
Lets get one thing straight from the get go. If you would care to look back at the ASDA threads you will see that I have been a supporter and defender of the idea of an ASDA store all along.
That said I will address the other points.
1) I do not live in a houses overlooking the area that ASDA propose to develop.
2) If houses had gone onto the area you can guarantee that they would be packed in like "Herring in a barrel". How do I know that. Simple. look at West Gills. Look at the centre of Thurso. It doesnt take rocket science. Simple fact the Gentleman who owns Pennyland Farm is a business man and out to make the maximum return on his investment. That is it period. So please dont hold him up as a hero of the community.
3) Regarding siting of the shop. Yes I think there are better places and I am fully entitled to my opinion. I didnt mention the Mart in my post but for the record putting it there would be a mistake ( although several months ago I did think it would be a good idea) The traffic situation there is bad enough.

The reasoning against putting it slightly further out the road is flawed. What about the people walking from the other side of the river? Having it there only advantages people who are on foot from the Pennyland( and immediately surrounding )area. The local bus company like their counterparts in Inverness will quickly realise a profit opportunity and work a stop at Asda into all the Thurso bus routes, Just like Inverness.
4) Trust me a half decent Superstore in Thurso will be a winner regardless of where it is sited ( Short of the middle of the bay)

Having said all this I am more than concerned about this Witch Hunt attitude over this development and the YOU ARE EITHER FOR US OR AGAINST US attitude. This is still a free country and I am still entitled to my opinion we havent adopted MOB law yet.

I happily await the FLAK

Mickey

Does not look as though you have been into the West Gills site. Certainly not like "Herring in a barrel". If you had been anywhere south of the Ord to see housing sites you would know what "Herring in a barrel" sites are really like. I have to agree about the housing at the co-op - dreadful! We are very lucky in this area as most housing developments are pretty good. We have lots of space and indeed 'green belt' is not a problem. Walk from the centre of Thurso for less than 10 minutes in any direction (except seaward!) and you are in green belt so the loss of the field at Pennyland farm hardly matters unless you own property overlooking it.

pink lady
02-Oct-06, 14:26
I hear what you say Mickey but the bottom line is Asda have already had outline planning permission for their chosen site at Pennyland and the question of alternative sites should not need to arise. We should not even be looking at alternative sites. However, having seen what happened to the first Asda planning application where a small minority of objectors (supported by 3 Thurso councillors voting against the wishes of the majority of their voters) managed to get the appliction refused there is a good chance that this minority group will again manage to stop Asda coming to Thurso. Therefore my argument is lets stop discussing alternative site and channel our efforts into ensuring that Asda get to build their superstore on he site that they already have outline planning permission for. Any suggestions on how we can do this would be of much more use than to be discussing alternative sites.
After all Asda have already stated that if they don't get permission to use this site then they will be looking at sites outwith Caithness. Does the majority of the population of Caithness want that? I think noT!!

Jakay, you are spot on here! We should be focussing our efforts on the next hurdle instead of coming up with new ideas!

Mickey - I did not try and put across that you were anti-Asda, before I left my comment I reviewed your previous posts and understood that you were definately FOR Asda. However, you say that anything built on this land will be developed for maximum profit for the land owner, but if you say this is just what Business men do why did you previously say

"Lets not forget who owns the land at Pennyland"

I think it is you who is on the Witch Hunt and not us, stop making assumptions and accusations and just support the fact that we are nearly there! We have nearly finalised something which the vast majority of the town wants!

bigpete
02-Oct-06, 16:12
Hi Folks just a bit of info 06/00038/OUTCA) Re ASDA, Highland Council wants ASDA to:
A new footway along the southern kerb of the A9.
An off-road footpath / cycle path from the development to the Pennyland estate.
A bus stop and lay by on the A9 directly to the south of the site.
A pedestrian crossing of the A9.
An additional pedestrian route from Brims road to form a link to Scrabster, Pennyland and thurso Business Park.(?)
A pedestrian access from Castlegreen Road.(?)
Direct path access from ASDA to the Playing Field.(?)
A 'Pelican' crossing of the A836.
Bus shelters on either side of the A836/A9
A MOVA (Microprocessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation Signal Control System) installation at the existing Sir George Street/Traill Street A9 (T)/Sinclair Street 4-arm signalised junction [eh?]
Subject to approval of the application by the Executive, that once the recreational land and community facilities are completed, the ownership of 2.5 acres of land and community facilities be transferred to Highland Council without cost to the Council. To secure a financial bond for the sum of 40 times the annual maintenance cost of the recreational site and community facilities to provide for their future maintenance.
Prior to commencement of trading ASDA a major area of public open space and associated community facilities shall be provided including any necessary access and car parking, the Public Open space shall include a playing field/kick about pitch of min 70 x 50 metres..

Tugmistress
02-Oct-06, 16:52
Hi Folks just a bit of info 06/00038/OUTCA) Re ASDA, Highland Council wants ASDA to:
A new footway along the southern kerb of the A9.
An off-road footpath / cycle path from the development to the Pennyland estate.
A bus stop and lay by on the A9 directly to the south of the site.
A pedestrian crossing of the A9.
An additional pedestrian route from Brims road to form a link to Scrabster, Pennyland and thurso Business Park.(?)
A pedestrian access from Castlegreen Road.(?)
Direct path access from ASDA to the Playing Field.(?)
A 'Pelican' crossing of the A836.
Bus shelters on either side of the A836/A9
A MOVA (Microprocessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation Signal Control System) installation at the existing Sir George Street/Traill Street A9 (T)/Sinclair Street 4-arm signalised junction [eh?]
Subject to approval of the application by the Executive, that once the recreational land and community facilities are completed, the ownership of 2.5 acres of land and community facilities be transferred to Highland Council without cost to the Council. To secure a financial bond for the sum of 40 times the annual maintenance cost of the recreational site and community facilities to provide for their future maintenance.
Prior to commencement of trading ASDA a major area of public open space and associated community facilities shall be provided including any necessary access and car parking, the Public Open space shall include a playing field/kick about pitch of min 70 x 50 metres..

ok maybe i am being thick here, but i didn't think my direction bearings where too bad, where you say "A bus stop and lay by on the A9 directly to the south of the site." surely the A9 is the north edge of the field? or the proposed site is to the south of the A9, whichever way you want to look at it ;)
can't comment on the brims road as i don't know which one that is, sorry.
is there anyway, without going through someones garden, that pedestrian access from castlegreen road can be made?
and i guess this bit ...."A MOVA (Microprocessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation Signal Control System) installation at the existing Sir George Street/Traill Street A9 (T)/Sinclair Street 4-arm signalised junction [eh?]" is the council being greedy/awkward? as well as wanting both a pedestrian crossing and a pelican crossing within what i would guess to be a few yards of each other?

engiebenjy
02-Oct-06, 17:14
ok maybe i am being thick here, but i didn't think my direction bearings where too bad, where you say "A bus stop and lay by on the A9 directly to the south of the site." surely the A9 is the north edge of the field? or the proposed site is to the south of the A9, whichever way you want to look at it ;)
can't comment on the brims road as i don't know which one that is, sorry.
is there anyway, without going through someones garden, that pedestrian access from castlegreen road can be made?
and i guess this bit ...."A MOVA (Microprocessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation Signal Control System) installation at the existing Sir George Street/Traill Street A9 (T)/Sinclair Street 4-arm signalised junction [eh?]" is the council being greedy/awkward? as well as wanting both a pedestrian crossing and a pelican crossing within what i would guess to be a few yards of each other?

Think of Orkney as being north!

gollach
02-Oct-06, 17:22
A MOVA (Microprocessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation Signal Control System) installation at the existing Sir George Street/Traill Street A9 (T)/Sinclair Street 4-arm signalised junction [eh?]" is the council being greedy/awkward?

Tugmistress,

perhaps the council are trying to get their god-awful traffic management system sorted at last. Remember they conveniently came to inspect it on a publilc holiday when they would not have seen traffic queuing all the way up to Gillock Park swings with Dounreay traffic. ASDA will only add to the congestion and fair enough for them to chip in to fix the problem.

Tugmistress
02-Oct-06, 19:52
Fair comment gollach :)
i must admit i tend to avoid the thurso equivalent of 'rush hour' :)

Victor Vendetta
03-Oct-06, 23:07
is the council being greedy/awkward?

No, I think the council knows exactly what is at stake both for them and Asda.
Bear in mind that Tesco were that keen to extend at the Inverness retail park they agreed to pay for the new road system exiting from the Culloden/Smithton estate.
I think Asda will haggle but give ground on most points.They will know exactly what the cost vs. gains equation is.
Also the Highland council are more aware of what concessions the store companies are likely to give because of their Inverness experience.
I fully support Asda in the town at the Pennyland site.
If you look around the town for a green belt gap that could be developed the fields between the housing estate and the Weigh Inn are the obvious choice.

I will also leave this thought hanging in the air. Who says that it was Asda who were and still are considering the mart site.

TESCO!

WeeBurd
03-Oct-06, 23:18
is the council being greedy/awkward?

No, I think the council knows exactly what is at stake both for them and Asda.
Bear in mind that Tesco were that keen to extend at the Inverness retail park they agreed to pay for the new road system exiting from the Culloden/Smithton estate.
I think Asda will haggle but give ground on most points.They will know exactly what the cost vs. gains equation is.
Also the Highland council are more aware of what concessions the store companies are likely to give because of their Inverness experience.
I fully support Asda in the town at the Pennyland site.
If you look around the town for a green belt gap that could be developed the fields between the housing estate and the Weigh Inn are the obvious choice.

I will also leave this thought hanging in the air. Who says that it was Asda who were and still are considering the mart site.

TESCO!

I was told, from a very reliable source, that Tesco have been looking at Thurso for a number of years. I will add, I was told that BEFORE the Wick store went ahead, so whether it still applies or now, I have no idea...

Victor Vendetta
04-Oct-06, 12:16
Correct they tried to buy it years ago.
A high profile campaign against it was fronted by one of the then Thurso councillors.

Donald
04-Oct-06, 13:01
Interesting to see local councillors being over-ruled by their masters in Inverness. Looking at how local shopkeepers struggle in the Highland capital does not make me think Highland Council knows best.

The case against ASDA is very strong. No-one can pretend that it will be good for Thurso. Cheap food but at too high a price.

All ASDA care about is market share. If they make a profit in Thurso, well that's okay but really this is all about Tesco and ASDA trying to be the number one. If the local food retail market is wiped out they won't care. If local shops go to the wall, they won't care. When we moan about the lack of variety and good quality shops, they won't care.

Sad really. Of course they could do what happens in Ireland where the supermarkets are forced to provide an arcade of shops for local businesses at reasonable rents. But, as I say, ASDA don't care.

And that's before we even start on the arguements of food miles, standards of employment and exploitation of farmers in the developing world.

There are loads of websites with info on all of this. see www.tescopoly.com (http://www.tescopoly.com) as an example of this.

Don't suppose any of this will change anyone's mind but makes me feel better getting it off my chest :D

henry20
04-Oct-06, 13:11
If the local food retail market is wiped out they won't care.

I would have to disagree Donald - if the butchers & bakers can survive competing against Co-Op & Somerfield at the moment, then Asda & Tesco will make little difference. Anyone that enjoys quality meat knows that the butchers meat is of much higher standard than the packaged meat at the supermarkets.

I very rarely use a bakers - nor do I buy baking from the supermarkets, but on the rare occassions that I have, the bakers win every time.

If they keep their standards up, they should have no worries! Some people will always go for cost over quality, but not always. The people who currently support the local butchers will still do so. Personally, I use both and will continue to do so.

Technically, this has nothing to do with whether Asda care or not, but it doesn't have to be the end for local retailers.

Donald
05-Oct-06, 08:48
Henry20, I don't think it will be the end for local retailers either. There will always be people like myself who only shop in supermarkets when there is no other option. Equally some people only want a loaf of bread so again are less likely to go the supermarket.

The point is that as money is not spent on the High Street then new shops that might have opened won't. Those that are there will struggle and the potential to create a thriving local centre is lost.

The more general point about ASDA is that they are not local. Any profits they make are taken out of the local community and their main concern is their shareholders in America not the needs of the local community.

Of course the sad truth is that how we spend our money makes a difference and if we choose not to shop locally then local shops will close. And of course you can't force people to shop in one place rather than another. But it's not an even playing field. ASDA have cheap rates because they are not in the centre, then gain huge economies of scale and of course they don't even have to make a profit. How can local businesses compete with that?

Donald.

bigpete
05-Oct-06, 10:21
Interesting to see local councillors being over-ruled by their masters in Inverness. Looking at how local shopkeepers struggle in the Highland capital does not make me think Highland Council knows best.
[No, local Councillors had a split vote which was decided by a Wick Councillor - Smith -who voted his opposition to ASDA because it was against the 'Local Plan' but perversely voted FOR Tesco when that too was against the 'Local Plan'. 'Shopkeepers Struggle'? take for example a look at Souters and note large number of staff, "whoops it's 1pm time to close, back at 2pm", my wife and I have been ushered out just as we were about to purchase, have they never heard of split lunchtimes?, wonder how much they loose as it's when most of the other shop-workers have their lunch ]

The case against ASDA is very strong. No-one can pretend that it will be good for Thurso. Cheap food but at too high a price. [not good for Thurso? so 3,000 of us are wrong?, are you against cheap food? I'd rather have a 20,000 line selection than the present 3,000 with co-op/Somerfield. I - along with great numbers of other folk, regularly go south for shopping at Tesco/Morrisons, it's variety and price plus freshness, Somerfields is terrible for it's rotten fruit and vegetable, I've complained a number of times to the manager and nothing changes, what can he do about it? Folk knock Lidl but yesterday I purchased a hand of Fyffe bananas there at 49p; Somerfield (unknown brand) £1.38 a hand. Have you noticed how things have changed in Somerfield? Suddenly they realize that another store is coming and they had better buck up their ideas, which is something that a lot of stores could do in Thurso. My wife wanted a certain skein of wool, the particular shop did not have it; ran out, said they would order, three weeks later still not in, so on a regular trip to Inverness got it there. For FAR too long have the shops in Thurso and Wick just given mediocre service, with "why bother this lot ain't got anywhere else to go" - any wonder £millions get spent in Inverness?]

All ASDA care about is market share. If they make a profit in Thurso, well that's okay but really this is all about Tesco and ASDA trying to be the number one. [like any other business] If the local food retail market is wiped out they won't care. If local shops go to the wall, they won't care. When we moan about the lack of variety and good quality shops, they won't care. [why the heck should they, if a good service is NOT provided businesses will go to the wall]

Sad really. Of course they could do what happens in Ireland where the supermarkets are forced to provide an arcade of shops for local businesses at reasonable rents. But, as I say, ASDA don't care And that's before we even start on the arguements of food miles, standards of employment [what?] and exploitation of farmers in the developing world. [don't forget the new jobs ASDA will create, pay cheques to spend in the locality]

The point is that as money is not spent on the High Street then new shops that might have opened won't. Those that are there will struggle and the potential to create a thriving local centre is lost. [Thurso/Wick a 'thriving local centre', looked around lately?]

The more general point about ASDA is that they are not local. Any profits they make are taken out of the local community [as with Somerfield's, Tesco's, Waitrose, Morrisons, Sainsbury's etc] and their main concern is their shareholders in America not the needs of the local community. [what supermarket does?]

Of course the sad truth is that how we spend our money makes a difference and if we choose not to shop locally then local shops will close. [good service reasonable times, good value - it's not a God-given right for local shops to be supported, come what may] And of course you can't force people to shop in one place rather than another. But it's not an even playing field. ASDA have cheap rates because they are not in the centre, then gain huge economies of scale and of course they don't even have to make a profit. How can local businesses compete with that? [have you ever thought that once upon a time there was one shop in Thurso, then another one opened "heaven forbid, we'll go out of business" then yet another one; "heaven forbid, we'll go out of business" and it goes on it's almost natural progression, those with effort will survive. We're in the Accommodation business and it embarrasses us when more cosmopolitan folk express shock "what, they close for lunch up here!"? or "what, Thurso actually turned down a large Supermarket"!? It's 2006 not 1806!

thebigman
11-Oct-06, 12:05
Even then, I do my majority of shopping in a big Tesco shop in Inverness.

I'd be interested to know why folk would travel all the way to Inverness to shop for foodstuff? I can't see how there is not enough available locally.

dragonfly
11-Oct-06, 13:32
I was down yesterday, granted not just for foodstuffs but as a working Mum (whose husband works away from home) I try to feed the family on homemade food but there are times when I have to work late and find myself coming home and rummaging in the freezer for something I can just throw in.

Predominately the choice of frozen food aisles in Caithness extends to burgers, pizzas and fish fingers - foods which I do not buy at all - no family size lasagnes/pasta type dishes or cottage pies, very little choice in vegitarian meals. Also, impossible to find 15kg bags of dog food under £20. Those are my reasons for choosing Inverness/Tesco