PDA

View Full Version : Lost oppurtunity?

Kenn
15-Jul-11, 17:36
I was wondering why none of "The Tall Ships," called into Scrabster or at least Thurso Bay.
It seems such a missed oppurtunity especially as there were four last night that were just into The North Sea, the largest of which had come through The Pentland Firth during the afternoon and was idling before heading into Kirkwall today.
I am just hoping that as the others come north from Ullapool,Oban and Stornaway that they will head along the north coast and not just head direct NNE to Lerwick as there are several I have great memories of and have not seen for a few years,

Tugmistress
15-Jul-11, 20:12
In my opinion it is the same as normal, orkney and shetland are very well geared towards tourists and getting the people to call there, whereas caithness is left behind :( damn shame really.

Kenn
15-Jul-11, 23:32
Give The Harbour Board a boot where the sun does n't shine Tugs!

Mystical Potato Head
16-Jul-11, 00:56
Give The Harbour Board a boot where the sun does n't shine Tugs!

Orkney has more to offer the tourists,its not that Orkney is better at marketing itself,it just has more to offer.Old Man of Hoy,St Johns Head,Skara Brae,Ring of Brodgar and many Cairns and Brochs like Midhowe on Rousay
being one of the best there is to see.Orkneys nautical history,especially that of Stromness and Scapa Flow makes it a popular destination for yachts and large sailing boats anyway.Hard to compete against things like that so i dont know what the Harbour board could do about it anyway.

yorkshire lassie
16-Jul-11, 10:27
We can see a tall ship on the horizon from our house in Kirtomy right now. According to AIS, it's the Europa. Looks inmpressive.

Kenn
16-Jul-11, 11:40
I agree that there is alot to do for tourists on Orkney MPH but equally with a little thought Caithness has much to offer but is sadly lacking in information for visitors.
There is a plethora of wild life here, stunning coastal sceenery both of which get little publicity and some amazing beaches.
Many a time we have met tourists who are looking for specific things and have been happy to share our knowledge of the area in the hope that they will enjoy their stay with greater pleasure.
Whilst appreciating that The RSPB,Rangers and the like do their best surely their could be a little more effort from The Tourist Board to make the area a must visit.