PDA

View Full Version : Avoid This Orger At All Costs

vintagepower3
15-Jul-11, 07:59
An orger called BruanBiker should be avoided, im posting this because i was advised to do so. He was recently giving away an 8 year old collie free to a good home, me been the way i am with dogs, i took it. He failed to mention the flaws it might have had. It seemed like a well mannered dog and an animal i was sure i could look after. The only thing he was specific on was it had to be the only dog in the house wich it is. Now the problems he failed to mention are as follows. It snaps and bites, it attempted to bite me when i first got it but luckily enough left no damage, it then did it again several days later to me & my father. It snarls when people other than me try to pet it or say its name, i mean i have an eight year old sister who loves animals and she is now to frightened to come and visit me because it snarls at her. I contacted the dog warden and she tells me this man has been trying to off load this dog onto people for months, she tells me its not good with children, its not good with other dogs & he cross breeds it with german shepards. He also made the false claim the animal was house trained and it isnt. I take it for several walks a day for lengthy periods of time, ill give the dog its due it does do its buisness outside, but it still comes back into the house and does it again several times over. This may seem funny to some people but when the animal is urinating on leather sofas that cost a lot of money it isnt. Ive been tring to get in touch with him regarding the animal to allow him to take it back but have had no luck. He is a liar plain and simple and now im stuck with an animal that i cant control and the warden has no space for it so im in a tricky situation. I just would like to inform people & as i said i was also advised, to warn people about this orger. If it was up to me the animal could go right now, but he wont respond, so i cant just let it loose on the streets. It will have to be sent to balmore or whatever its called just outside of Thurso

Walter Ego
15-Jul-11, 08:06
An orger called BruanBiker should be avoided, im posting this because i was advised to do so. He was recently giving away an 8 year old collie free to a good home, me been the way i am with dogs, i took it. He failed to mention the flaws it might have had. It seemed like a well mannered dog and an animal i was sure i could look after. The only thing he was specific on was it had to be the only dog in the house wich it is. Now the problems he failed to mention are as follows. It snaps and bites, it attempted to bite me when i first got it but luckily enough left no damage, it then did it again several days later to me & my father. It snarls when people other than me try to pet it or say its name, i mean i have an eight year old sister who loves animals and she is now to frightened to come and visit me because it snarls at her. I contacted the dog warden and she tells me this man has been trying to off load this dog onto people for months, she tells me its not good with children, its not good with other dogs & he cross breeds it with german shepards. He also made the false claim the animal was house trained and it isnt. I take it for several walks a day for lengthy periods of time, ill give the dog its due it does do its buisness outside, but it still comes back into the house and does it again several times over. This may seem funny to some people but when the animal is urinating on leather sofas that cost a lot of money it isnt. Ive been tring to get in touch with him regarding the animal to allow him to take it back but have had no luck. He is a liar plain and simple and now im stuck with an animal that i cant control and the warden has no space for it so im in a tricky situation. I just would like to inform people & as i said i was also advised, to warn people about this orger. If it was up to me the animal could go right now, but he wont respond, so i cant just let it loose on the streets. It will have to be sent to balmore or whatever its called just outside of Thurso

It's a Collie. A working dog. Not a pet. It's in unfamiliar surroundings.

It will possibly improve with time., but if it has a snappy temprement (I have known a few collies like that) then you'll certainly have your work cut out.

As for you complaining about the dog marking on the sofa - if you're bothered about your sofa why the hell did you get a dog?

brandy
15-Jul-11, 08:44
i have a leather sofa... and my dog wouldnt dream of fouling it. it sounds as if this animal has severe behavioral problems.
a collie is not a small dog, and could in theory do a lot of damage.. and not all collies are working dogs, as many are useless for the task and are rehomed as pets.
all in all.. it sounds like this poor doggie has had a horrible life, and is basically feral and dosent know any better.
it may be a case of a LOT of hard work and time spent to rehabilitate it..
if it is nature and not nurture.. then it may just be a case of the dog ending up being put down.. if it cant be controlled and bites people.
all the best and good luck with him!

porshiepoo
15-Jul-11, 08:47
If that's a working collie then nothing you do short of working it is going to change its temperament. These breeds NEED to be worked, it's why they make such good working dogs and not working it will result in an animal crawling the walls and behaving just as you have mentioned.

You have a few options here but none of them ideal I'm afraid. You could eventually contact the owner and make them take it back though I don't see how this can be in the dogs best interests and lets face it, it ain't the dogs fault. Or you can try to rehome it to someone who is capable of working with it, though I doubt at 8 years of age it will be much use to a farmer (but I know nothing about training a working collie), or you can take the unfortunate step (but some may say the kindest) and have the poor dog euthanised OR you make the decision to work with the dog and a trainer and see if you can manage to bring him down to earth. Maybe agility would be a good way to lose some of his energy?
Clearly the dog cannot be left to just carry on the way he is, it will result in a nasty incident and probably end up having to be PTS anyway!

First thing, is this dog entire? If he is then get him to the vets asap and get him neutered. Many people may say that it's a tad late in the day and that neutering may not make a difference but I believe it will and has done for us in the past. If nothing else, it may calm him down.

Next go to citizens advice and find out where you stand - assuming you are willing to hand the dog back over to this numpty?

Walter Ego: Just because a person wants a dog does not automatically mean they have to be accepting of it peeing up the furniture. It's not normal behaviour for a well balanced dog, it smacks of dominating an area and should not be accepted or tolerated simply because they wanted the dog.

It annoys me so much when people falsely advertise their animals just to get rid of them. We got a Shih Tzu from here once and the signs were there when we went to fetch her but we just didn't see them. The reason this woman was re-homing the dog (supposedly) was due to pregnancy and could only cope with the Yorkie she had. When we got her home we found that she bites ankles constantly, barks from anxiety incessantly and would hide under the table guarding her food bowl.
The woman knew all this but just figured she wouldn't say and I can see why she wanted to re-home her. As it turns out we've managed to iron out those negative tendencies and she's now the most lovely pet ever, though she's still not as confident as we'd like.
Silly thing is if the woman had been honest we still would have taken her as we're experienced enough to work with the dog.
I did try to contact the woman via here but she'd removed her post instantly and couldn't be found. She hasn't kept in touch once like she said she would either - her loss!

Walter Ego
15-Jul-11, 09:26
If that's a working collie then nothing you do short of working it is going to change its temperament. These breeds NEED to be worked, it's why they make such good working dogs and not working it will result in an animal crawling the walls and behaving just as you have mentioned.

You have a few options here but none of them ideal I'm afraid. You could eventually contact the owner and make them take it back though I don't see how this can be in the dogs best interests and lets face it, it ain't the dogs fault. Or you can try to rehome it to someone who is capable of working with it, though I doubt at 8 years of age it will be much use to a farmer (but I know nothing about training a working collie), or you can take the unfortunate step (but some may say the kindest) and have the poor dog euthanised OR you make the decision to work with the dog and a trainer and see if you can manage to bring him down to earth. Maybe agility would be a good way to lose some of his energy?
Clearly the dog cannot be left to just carry on the way he is, it will result in a nasty incident and probably end up having to be PTS anyway!

First thing, is this dog entire? If he is then get him to the vets asap and get him neutered. Many people may say that it's a tad late in the day and that neutering may not make a difference but I believe it will and has done for us in the past. If nothing else, it may calm him down.

Next go to citizens advice and find out where you stand - assuming you are willing to hand the dog back over to this numpty?

Walter Ego: Just because a person wants a dog does not automatically mean they have to be accepting of it peeing up the furniture. It's not normal behaviour for a well balanced dog, it smacks of dominating an area and should not be accepted or tolerated simply because they wanted the dog.

It annoys me so much when people falsely advertise their animals just to get rid of them. We got a Shih Tzu from here once and the signs were there when we went to fetch her but we just didn't see them. The reason this woman was re-homing the dog (supposedly) was due to pregnancy and could only cope with the Yorkie she had. When we got her home we found that she bites ankles constantly, barks from anxiety incessantly and would hide under the table guarding her food bowl.
The woman knew all this but just figured she wouldn't say and I can see why she wanted to re-home her. As it turns out we've managed to iron out those negative tendencies and she's now the most lovely pet ever, though she's still not as confident as we'd like.
Silly thing is if the woman had been honest we still would have taken her as we're experienced enough to work with the dog.
I did try to contact the woman via here but she'd removed her post instantly and couldn't be found. She hasn't kept in touch once like she said she would either - her loss!

I'd agree with everything you've said there. My remark regarding the sofa was meant to highlight the fact that you never know what you are bringing into the house and that problems may arise with furniture or urinating through being stressed out (or simply not used to an indoor environment). For example you can't tell if a dog is going to, say, chew the arms off the chairs just by looking at it.

Brandy, all collies are working dogs - regardless of whether it is actually working or not. Getting a 'problem' dog sorted like the one we're talking about here is a long hard road. The owner is already trying to wear the dog out a bit to get it to settle, but collies can go all day - even an eight year old one in reasonable health.

I might be preaching to the converted here, VP3, but routine, routine, routine, will be the way forward and the best way for your family to deal with the dog is to completely ignore it until the dog is comfortable to approach them with out going on the defensive at the first reaction from the person. Give it a chance to understand that not everyone around it is a threat. You've already said you can pet the dog with no problems - so it's not 100% unapproachable.

Keep working at it if you can. You could have a bloody good dog there in a few months time.....

mop top
15-Jul-11, 10:11
The original post about rehoming the dog is in the for sale sect pets and animal acessories, i have just replied to it so its bumped back to the top. There is also a tel no which may be useful its a mobile tel no but if you search their previous posts there is also a landline from when they were selling chinchillas in the past.

davem
15-Jul-11, 10:29
I remember a bruanbiker, internet conspiracies are yet to reach bruan, must have left.

binnes
15-Jul-11, 11:29
Sorry to hear of your problems Vintagepower....as has been said already, please keep working with it and seek the help of a professional trainer. I am sure you will both come out the end of it happy together.

porshiepoo
15-Jul-11, 11:40
What we have to remember is that VP may not have the time that is needed to sort this dog out or the cash that it will take if VP is not experienced enough to do it without expert help. Getting a dog and having the time for a normal, healthy animal is one thing but the time and experience this poor boy is going to need could be something else all together.

VP if you want to do this yourself then start at the beginning and lay basic ground rules for the animal. Feed him at set times and remove his bowl when he's finished or if he leaves it. He may not have food issues but it all helps with asserting your dominance. Walk him regular and as often as you can and eventually take him where it's safe to let him off for a run. Failing that find a safe, quiet rd (industrial est, country lane?), get on a bike and run him alongside - he needs to be knackered but remember he'll be unfit regardless of how hyper he is now. When he's hyper ignore him, hard as it may be lol, only interact when he's calm. When people come round do not let them enter while he's hyper and keep him sectioned off and away from people till he's calm. If you let him out to greet people when he's calm and he gets aggressive take him straight back out.
Personally I'd look into agility if you really want to keep the boy. His brain needs to work regardless of his ability or inability to work as a farm animal. Also obedience classes are a must. If you keep him you need to know you have control of him.

Get on tinternet and look up as much info as you can. Look up a Collie forum (yep, they all have em) and get expert advice. Failing that get in touch with Collie rescue and you may find they will take him or know someone who can foster him.

Good luck in your quest. It's gonna be long and hard!

Dadie
15-Jul-11, 11:46
buanbiker was last on the org at 11:18 today.
They were looking at this thread so must have seen all your posts upto davems post.
Hope they get in contact with you vintagepower3 to sort out this mess.

davem
15-Jul-11, 12:26
To be fair these behaviour problems could be entirely down to a change of home. Anything completely uplifted from all it had as familiar and reassuring would find a vast increase in stress, maybe bearing that in mind will get a handle on the situation from the dogs POV. It is quite possible that this behaviour is as much as a surprise to the original owner as it was to the OP. Getting in touch without blame and animosity is far more likely to get a good outcome for all concerned.

funky-dunky
15-Jul-11, 13:35
hope u get it all sorted out soon

Stefan
15-Jul-11, 15:56
To be fair these behaviour problems could be entirely down to a change of home. Anything completely uplifted from all it had as familiar and reassuring would find a vast increase in stress, maybe bearing that in mind will get a handle on the situation from the dogs POV. It is quite possible that this behaviour is as much as a surprise to the original owner as it was to the OP. Getting in touch without blame and animosity is far more likely to get a good outcome for all concerned.
A well adjusted dog without any behaviour problems would not suddenly start biting, snarling and toileting in the house due to a change of surroundings ! Regardless of working breed or not.
vintagpower3, pm me, I can help if you are keeping the dog.

vintagepower3
15-Jul-11, 16:03
The problem has been resolved now. I was mistaken on some of the information i was given from the dog warden, i stand by what i said that the animal can be aggressive towards children and others. It just seems to me to be one of those dogs that likes one person & one person only. At the end of the day it has gone back to the org member who i complained about. It went some time this morning. He came & explained that the things i was told from the dog warden were not true & he was very understanding about the situation. The reason he gave me the animal in the first place are personal reasons. But in the long run im just glad it went back to its original owner without having to be found a new home or something worse. Long story short, its finished with now. I posted the thread because i was advised to do so by the dog warden. He is a nice enough bloke who is very understanding. So thank you to everyone who has offered there opinion, especially porshiepoo, because she/he seems to have been the most understanding. I also appologize to BruanBiker for sounding so harsh in this thread if he is reading this

porshiepoo
15-Jul-11, 16:29
The problem has been resolved now. I was mistaken on some of the information i was given from the dog warden, i stand by what i said that the animal can be aggressive towards children and others. It just seems to me to be one of those dogs that likes one person & one person only. At the end of the day it has gone back to the org member who i complained about. It went some time this morning. He came & explained that the things i was told from the dog warden were not true & he was very understanding about the situation. The reason he gave me the animal in the first place are personal reasons. But in the long run im just glad it went back to its original owner without having to be found a new home or something worse. Long story short, its finished with now. I posted the thread because i was advised to do so by the dog warden. He is a nice enough bloke who is very understanding. So thank you to everyone who has offered there opinion, especially porshiepoo, because she/he seems to have been the most understanding. I also appologize to BruanBiker for sounding so harsh in this thread if he is reading this

Great news. The owner has done the responsible thing and quietly got back to you and put the situation right so in my book they obviously have the dogs best interests at heart. Hopefully it's a happy ending all round.

I do hope this hasn't put you off re-homing an animal though VP? Unfortunately these animal foibles do tend to come out when they are stressed or their environment changes but for the most I don't think you would get such a negative and dangerous reaction as you did with this one. It is hit and miss though as people are re-homing for a reason and unfortunately in my experience there are very few owners that are 100% honest as to their reasons behind it.
Fortunately for you though you seem to have found one of the even fewer people willing to take the animal back.
This now leaves you with a huge gap that maybe another needy dog could fill?;)

Thank you for your kind words re my advice. Unfortunately I've been exactly where you were a few times so I know exactly how frustrating and worrying it can be.
Glad everything worked out for you.

John Little
15-Jul-11, 16:51
You could delete the thread...