PDA

View Full Version : Winter forecast LOL

grantyg
26-Sep-06, 19:11
So the met office released the winter 2006/2007 forecast with a cracking line.............
"near-average temperatures and an approximately even chance of wetter or drier-than-average conditions for the season as a whole."
LOL
Anyway here`s the rundown
I`ll be in wick for xmas so as long as it is snowy and cold up there I`m happy - just as long as I can get oot tae the spoons!

21 September 2006
Prospects for this coming winter are finely balanced, long-range forecasters at the Met Office are saying today, partly due to El Niņo conditions becoming established in the Pacific Ocean.
There has been a shift from the early signal (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2006/pr20060710.html), issued by the Met Office in July, which suggested the winter would be milder than average and wetter than last year. The long-range forecast for Winter 2006/7 across the UK, now released, indicates near-average temperatures and an approximately even chance of wetter or drier-than-average conditions for the season as a whole.
El Niņo conditions are becoming established in the Pacific Ocean and this is helping to produce a winter forecast that is in the balance. Significantly, these developing influences could shift probabilities to favour a colder outlook, particularly for late Winter 2006/7.
Rob Varley, Head of the Public Weather Service at the Met Office commented: "In July, we issued a first assessment of the winter. This was based on the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) technique and indicated a mild winter. However, from September, other forecast data becomes available, allowing us to make a further expert judgement on how the winter is likely to play out. It's interesting to note that the chances of a colder winter have increased slightly in light of recent information, with a focus on the late-winter period. We will track this possible trend and update the forecast in coming months as necessary."

More here..............http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/seasonal/winter2006_7/index.html