PDA

View Full Version : just who do the murdochs think they are?

NickInTheNorth
14-Jul-11, 13:31
James Murdoch - too busy to attend a Parliamentary Committee until August
Rubert Murdoch - unwilling to attend

Brooks will attend but might not say much.

It's going to be very interesting to see what action the speaker takes when the murdoch's don't attend even though they have now been summonsed.

I suspect that parliament may well start to wake up, and realise that it does have teeth, and despite having lain in the glass by the bed for many years they still it fit!

I suspect that Mr Speaker Bercow might well relish calling the Murdoch's to the Bar of the House for a wee telling off! :)

golach
14-Jul-11, 13:40
Its the Maxwell case all over again, cannot speak, will not speak.

Humerous Vegetable
14-Jul-11, 13:51
James Murdoch - too busy to attend a Parliamentary Committee until August
Rubert Murdoch - unwilling to attend

Brooks will attend but might not say much.

It's going to be very interesting to see what action the speaker takes when the murdoch's don't attend even though they have now been summonsed.

I suspect that parliament may well start to wake up, and realise that it does have teeth, and despite having lain in the glass by the bed for many years they still it fit!

I suspect that Mr Speaker Bercow might well relish calling the Murdoch's to the Bar of the House for a wee telling off! :)
I think, as US citizens, they cannot be compelled to appear, whereas the Ginger Whinger is still a Brit and does not have a choice. She will probably restrict herself to "No comment, on legal advice". The only time parliament ever shows it's teeth is when it's biting lumps out of the taxpayer.

John Little
14-Jul-11, 14:07
So if a group of foreigners have been hacking into the private messages of our establishment up to and including the PM and the Monarch, why may they not be arrested and charged with espionage?

weezer 316
14-Jul-11, 14:17
Murdoch needs shot. not the most constructive comment on this I know.

As US citizens they dont need to appear as far as I know.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jul-11, 14:25
I think, as US citizens, they cannot be compelled to appear, whereas the Ginger Whinger is still a Brit and does not have a choice. She will probably restrict herself to "No comment, on legal advice". The only time parliament ever shows it's teeth is when it's biting lumps out of the taxpayer.

The whole question of whether or not a foreign national can be compelled to attend Parliament is open at the moment. The final arbiters of the powers of parliament are in reality parliament. The courts would not interfere in such matters, not having jurisdiction over matters of parliamentary discipline.

It is a quite intriguing situation.

RecQuery
14-Jul-11, 15:32
Okay so legally they can't be compelled to appear, in that case I think there should be some sort of penalty for resident non-domiciled people who refuse to comply reasonably with such requests. Perhaps deportation or some sort of sanction on their economic interests.

ducati
14-Jul-11, 15:34
Okay so legally they can't be compelled to appear, I think there should be some sort of penalty for resident non-domiciled people who refuse to comply reasonably with such requests. Perhaps deportation or something.

Theyre not are they? Murdoch lives in the states.

Kodiak
14-Jul-11, 15:42
Mr Rupert Murdoch Nationality United States (naturalized 1985)

As he has no Diplomatic Immunity he could be arrested for questioning if he is in the UK. If he is in the USA he could ignore any summons.

binnes
14-Jul-11, 16:14
Mind you though, it was pleasing to see the way in which everybody seemed to turn on them as a result of the NOTW scandal. And of course seeing the collapse of the B Sky B will have caused them considerable embarassment!!

ducati
14-Jul-11, 16:18
Mind you though, it was pleasing to see the way in which everybody seemed to turn on them as a result of the NOTW scandal. And of course seeing the collapse of the B Sky B will have caused them considerable embarassment!!

Is murdoch the last of the press moguls? All the other nationals are owned by trust groups I think.

binnes
14-Jul-11, 16:35
I dont think there is anybody in the same league as the Murdoch's - well one would hope not lol. The rest of the nationals, I believe, are owned by smaller groups like the Barclay Brothers etc.

binnes
14-Jul-11, 17:05
Just heard on the radio that the Murdoch's along with Rebekah Brooks will be attending questioning next Tuesday. I bet there are some real red faces behind the closed doors of the News Corp boardroom :lol:

Oddquine
14-Jul-11, 21:20
I dont think there is anybody in the same league as the Murdoch's - well one would hope not lol. The rest of the nationals, I believe, are owned by smaller groups like the Barclay Brothers etc.

Given their aptitude for being economical with the truth, I get the impression that red faces don't come naturally to News corp management/employees.

If this whole furore rids the UK of the poisonous Murdoch Dynasty..it can only be a good thing.