PDA

View Full Version : Unusual insect

lambsie
13-Jul-11, 23:12
I saw a really striking jewel red & black chunky flying insect today. Looked a bit like a compressed dragonfly. No photo as I was on the tractor at the time! I'd like to know if it's a stinger in case I meet it again!

Torvaig
14-Jul-11, 10:17
A ladybird in flight perhaps? Red, black and chunky sounds very like it...... I think you are safe!

Mrs Bucket
15-Jul-11, 06:52
I saw something like that the other day it was more like a moth or butterfly but I have never seen anything that colour before it was an amazing colour it defo wasnt a lady bird.

Mrs Bucket
15-Jul-11, 06:55
should have mentiioned that the body was black really black and looked as if it might be fluffy.

Backlass
15-Jul-11, 17:43
Could be a Burnet moth. Google for images of six-spot burnet moth and see what you think.

Mrs Bucket
16-Jul-11, 19:18
Burnet moth was what I saw. beautiful thing more so now I know it wont have a sting attached. Thank you Backlass

annex
16-Jul-11, 22:56
I was out log splitting the day and came across exacty what you just described. It landed on the saw dust and my father informed me it was a wood wasp. what a striking lookin creature. :)

Mrs Bucket
30-Jul-11, 16:55
Lovely picture of Burnet Mothe in P & J today page 37. It was what I saw for the first time recently Have they always been in Caithness?