PDA

View Full Version : Old Books, and other sources for genealogy

sgmcgregor
13-Jul-11, 20:26
Hello all,

I have a site that I use for "out of copyright" books, which I have found invaluable for research into general life in Caithness, and elsewhere in the world, where there has been no specific information on an individual, or their family. It has helped me to write background information pertinent to many family members. I have a question regarding what books people may know about, which would be useful reading in other areas.

The site can be found at http://www.archive.org/

I have found a couple of really useful books there...

"General View of the Agriculture of the County of Caithness", by Captain John Henderson (published 1812);
"Convict Life in New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land", by Charles White (published 1889);
"The History of the Family of Dallas", by James Dallas, FLS, Oxford (published 1921, after the author's death);

Statistical Accounts, and Law Books, etc...........

Again, is there any general background book that people would suggest for reading? Anything on life in the 1800s (hopefully for Caithness); anything on fishing, saddlery, ropemakers, coopers, etc....?

Any suggestions would be welcomed, as I can't always find details pertaining to particular individuals. But there are many trades that I would enjoy reading a little more about.

Regards,
Steven