PDA

View Full Version : when giving...

mumof2
13-Jul-11, 09:32
when you have a clear out do you put your stuff to charity? if so which charity shop do you prefer to give to?. i always donate bags of toys and clothes etc. but was just wondering where to go this time.

poppett
13-Jul-11, 10:51
Usually have a full car load of stuff by the time I want to part with anything, so usually donate to Highland Hospice as it is easy to park at the door and unload.

Kodiak
13-Jul-11, 11:23
As an Ex-Director of HomeAid I gererally donate to HomeAid. Their shop in princess st. is usually easy to gain access to. :D

Hoida
13-Jul-11, 11:26
Usally give to Highland Hospice on Princes Street.

mumof2
13-Jul-11, 11:31
i've mostly given to blythswood but have put some bits and bobs into tylers trust and home aid. Homeaid is probably the easiest for parking in wick.

John Little
13-Jul-11, 12:08
We generally prefer local ones for some reason - we have a clear out and fill the boot and usually it goes to the local hospice shop.

Mumof2 - your signature put me in mind of when I lived in London and we were in fear of our lives for a few weeks-

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/68471/TURNIP-HURLED-FROM-CAR-KILLS-MAN-IN-LONDON-JOGGER-HIT-BY-CABBAGE.html

I don't think they ever caught the person who did it.

Ash
13-Jul-11, 12:19
I tend to go to red cross shop or cancer shop as they are close buy or i put them at the recycle bins at the harbour

jings00
13-Jul-11, 12:20
Highland Hospice is where I donate

Koi
13-Jul-11, 22:47
I tend to give to red cross. I know someone who volouteers there and she usually tells me if something is in that i might be interested in or looking for. Really depends on what it is as there are some things that red cross don't accept. Parking is ok for getting red cross as i'll just park outside in the car park outside 99p shop and factory shop.

sweetpea
14-Jul-11, 00:41
To begin with anything good goes on ebay. After that usually cancer shop, bridge st, wick, then Blythsewood. Never put anything to Homeaid because they get funding from other sources etc.

mop top
14-Jul-11, 07:43
All very good causes that have been mentioned so far. For anyone that wants to offer support to a dog charity, KWK9 a recently formed dog rescue charity in Caithness are always very grateful to accept any bric a brac, childrens toys etc, we have tried a few car boot sales over the last few months thanks to donations already received and done quite well. All funds raised are spent on helping dogs in the Caithness area. We may also be able to organise pick up from your own home if you gave us a few days to coordinate. It is run soley by volunteers in their spare time. Check out the website www.kwk9.org (http://www.kwk9.org) for more info on what we have been up to in the last year or follow us on facebook kwk9 petservices. Thanks for looking.

Liz
14-Jul-11, 12:18
I donate it to KWK9 as they do such a great work. :)

Some clothes I put in the Salvation Army collection point at Tesco.

lindsaymcc
14-Jul-11, 12:55
I tend to put clothes and books to the Highland Hospice shop, but other bric-a-brac stuff into Homeaid. I dont find clothing all that good in Homeaid, yet lovely stuff in Hospice shop.

Will keep KWK9 in mind for future though.... didnt realise you took bric-a-brac!

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-11, 14:40
Free section on Caithness.Org

porshiepoo
14-Jul-11, 14:45
OH and I were moaning about charity shops just the other day lol. We find it absolutely ridiculous that they can charge such extortionate prices for stuff that has been given to them.
Charity shops used to be the place for students, low income families etc to go to buy some half decent clobber or household items at an affordable rate. Not any more! The prices charged for some stuff is near on full mark up price and going to the sales in decent high street shops is now much cheaper than charity shops.

I don't give anything but my time to charity shops now. Any stuff worth selling is sold via EBay and charitable donations paid as and when I feel like it to charities I feel are worthy.

lindsaymcc
14-Jul-11, 14:51
OH and I were moaning about charity shops just the other day lol. We find it absolutely ridiculous that they can charge such extortionate prices for stuff that has been given to them.
Charity shops used to be the place for students, low income families etc to go to buy some half decent clobber or household items at an affordable rate. Not any more! The prices charged for some stuff is near on full mark up price and going to the sales in decent high street shops is now much cheaper than charity shops.

I don't give anything but my time to charity shops now. Any stuff worth selling is sold via EBay and charitable donations paid as and when I feel like it to charities I feel are worthy.

I agree with you to a degree - the pricing seems silly sometimes. I always try and buy books from charity shops as they are very well priced and I always give them back when I have read them. Clothes vary dramatically.... last year I got a complete outfit (jeans, boots, top and cardi) for £8 which was amazing, yet I saw 1 top a few weeks ago that I liked for £5.... it went back on the rack!

annemarie482
14-Jul-11, 15:04
i usually try to sell the stuff myself first via the org, or the caithness local ads on facebook. or if i have a family member that can make use of it they get it.
(charity starts at home ;) )
anything left after that i give to anywhere that collects such things that has easy access on the day.

panda
14-Jul-11, 16:40
agree here its donated so why charge ridiculous prices.

bagpuss
14-Jul-11, 23:20
In London, our stuff goes to Oxfam, or Age Concern/osteoporosis research

In Caithness Cancer Research

Why?

These are causes which will- thanks to donations -save lives.

A craze in Hampstead is buying bone china tea sets from charity shops- and then holding tea parties. However, what saddens me is that many of the tea sets spent many years in some old lady's china cabinet, only being brought out for special occasions. What happens after the old lady dies? House clearance and her treasured possessions ending up in a charity shop. Makes one think, doesn't it?

Aaldtimer
15-Jul-11, 03:03
In London, our stuff goes to Oxfam, or Age Concern/osteoporosis research

In Caithness Cancer Research

Why?

These are causes which will- thanks to donations -save lives.

A craze in Hampstead is buying bone china tea sets from charity shops- and then holding tea parties. However, what saddens me is that many of the tea sets spent many years in some old lady's china cabinet, only being brought out for special occasions. What happens after the old lady dies? House clearance and her treasured possessions ending up in a charity shop. Makes one think, doesn't it?

Don't you think that the old lady might be pleased that her tea/dinner set might be going to a good cause?

As for other stuff, I would say any charity that provides Cancer Relief/Hospices etc rather than research...they have plenty of funding, and don't seem to have provided much results over the years.:confused

bagpuss
15-Jul-11, 23:07
Beg to disagree there- I have a number of friends who are alive thanks to that research. There may be a time when we're all glad of advances in medical science-and it doesn't all come from government