PDA

View Full Version : Someone brave to help?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Jul-11, 17:21
Anyone brave enough in Wick to help me seek and remove / destroy a wasps nest tonight?

donnick
12-Jul-11, 17:28
get the council to do it for you or get intouch with the bee or wasp lol clubs.....not me aint brave enough

Scunner
12-Jul-11, 17:54
I'm brave enough but Wick is too far away -already taken 3 swarms of honey bees in the last 10 days - phew

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Jul-11, 18:26
Phoned council no help - they dont do any private stuff - phoned rentokill - their person locally is on holiday so have to bide my time til they can get someone up - but from my description it might be hornets and not wasps - apparently hornets don't sting so that's good.

bekisman
12-Jul-11, 18:31
Last week son in Lancashire, in private house, got Council out, cost him £40!

Just douse it in petrol and throw a match (taking suitable precautions before the usual outrage)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Jul-11, 18:32
hmmmmmmmmmmm google tells me hornets do sting............argh!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Jul-11, 18:37
Last week son in Lancashire, in private house, got Council out, cost him £40!

Just douse it in petrol and throw a match (taking suitable precautions before the usual outrage)

This week in Caithness, girl calls coucil, they say no!

George Brims
12-Jul-11, 20:12
Phoned council no help - they dont do any private stuff - phoned rentokill - their person locally is on holiday so have to bide my time til they can get someone up - but from my description it might be hornets and not wasps - apparently hornets don't sting so that's good.
Hornets definitely do sting. They also bite!

golach
12-Jul-11, 20:17
I would see professional help

http://www.eliminatewasps.net/wasps_nest_removal.php

http://www.hampshire-waspcontrol.co.uk/wasp-nest.html

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Jul-11, 20:18

Yes I see that now- but I have to say it was the Rentokil lady who told me they didn't i'd have thought she'd have known!!!

binnes
12-Jul-11, 20:21
Believe me, Hornets do sting....and they pack one hell of a punch when they do!!

bekisman
12-Jul-11, 21:42
This week in Caithness, girl calls coucil, they say no!
I did read your: "Phoned council no help - they dont do any private stuff" I mentioned Lancashire that's not near e north is it?

John Little
12-Jul-11, 21:47

Yes they do! Got stung by one 2 years ago and had a 'cushion' of painful red swelling down my front for 5 days after.

Flying syringes.

funky-dunky
13-Jul-11, 13:27
good luck removing it, maybe u should wear some etc clothing for protection, dont know if it will work or not mind u but worth a try

BillyEspie
13-Jul-11, 13:34
Hornets prefer protein and will eat meat and high protein substances like pet food. It is best to keep such things as fish remains, pet food, and other sources of protein out of your yard. This can include compost piles and compost heaps where raw fruits and other protein rich materials are left out in the open. Try to keep compost heaps either buried or kept in sealable containers. Keep pet food in sealable containers if you have outdoors pets, or if you can get pet-released food containers, that will work too.

Keeping garbage cans sealed, clean, and taking garbage out regularly should help get rid of hornets. Even though hornets do prefer to feed on other pests, there are times when food is scarce and grabbing a bite to eat at the local dumpster is just easier. Garbage cans that are left outdoors should have a spring mechanism to keep them closed. Garbage bins should have a top that seals properly and is never left open during the early months of summer (while hornet nests are still growing). If you can’t manage to keep garbage sealed, you may want to think about dusting what garbage cans you have with Borax now and again.
http://www.getridofthings.com/images/hornets-3.jpgVinegar apparently makes a good bait for water traps designed to capture and get rid of hornets. A company named Skone has designed something of an adaptation from the original do-it-yourself 2-liter soda bottle wasp traps. They still use a 2-liter or even a 1-liter soda bottle (so long as it has a standard mouth, not a “wide” mouth), but what they’ve done is created an attachment that simply fits onto a bottle, so there’s no cutting involved. Very smart. Just add 1 cup of sweetened water (sugar only), one cup of apple cider vinegar, a drop of mild dish soap, and some raw meat for the hornets, and you’re ready to kill some hornets.
http://www.getridofthings.com/images/hornets-4.jpgThere is another type of non-chemical trap that is useful for getting rid of hornets, and it’s called a Queen trap. Now, because queen hornets are solitary creatures in the early spring, looking for food and a good place to nest, it would follow logically that you could stop the entire process of colony building if you caught that one wasp. This is what queen traps are for. Any kind of homemade trap will do, but the key is to get a piece of raw meat out in the open early enough in the season to gain the attention of recently awoken hornet queens. Kill the queen, and you’ve essentially spared yourself and your neighbors the trouble of spraying your yard with nasty chemicals.
http://www.getridofthings.com/images/hornets-5.jpgMechanical extermination outdoors is not a recommended means of getting rid of hornets, but it is a good way to get rid of hornets indoors. When hornets are killed, a hormone is released that triggers nearby hornets to attack. It’s a safety mechanism, designed to keep the nest safe from intruders. Rolling up a newspaper and swatting a hornet outside is what we call “signing your death warrant,” especially if it’s remains are smeared all of over your pants or something. For those hornets who manage to get indoors, simply vacuum them up and in a matter of days they should die of starvation or dehydration if they’ve managed to survived being sucked through a vacuum in the first place.

binnes
13-Jul-11, 16:00
Flying syringes.

LOL...very true