PDA

View Full Version : thank goodness for the rain tonight

lynne duncan
07-Nov-04, 00:22
sounds like a daft subject, but at least the rain cut down on the amount of fireworks, after friday nights extravaganza which started at 5:45 and didn't end until after 10:30.
WHY!! am I grumping when I like the displays they create and enjoy seeing the bairns faces light up, the Noise they emit is the reason is there any real need for it because if there is then next year I really must go to the vet and get a sedative for my westie, he was sick 3 times and that scared he was even wetting himself.
So at least with the rain tonight the fireworks seemed to be curtailed and the dog didn't suffer to much...
any other folks suffer from the fireworks affecting pets

MadPict
07-Nov-04, 00:52
I know where you are coming from. My neighbour called round this afternoon to say he was having his grandkids over and they were going to be having a small firework display and was concerned for our dog. Such consideration is rare, but he thinks the world of our dog and often calls round to make a fuss of her.

We decided to go out into town and took the dog with us to save any problems, but on the way home the fireworks in the village were still going off and so we drove around for about an hour to let the worst of the noise be over and done with. As she is so wound up we couldn't fool her into eating her food with a ACP tablet in it, so she was unsedated.
But on getting home around about 8pm some idiots decided to fire up a bonfire and launch air bombs over our house.
Needless to say the dog went beserk - she was throwing herself at the patio doors and getting very distressed in the process. It was very upsetting to see her in this state. And it has now made me completely anti fireworks. I was wavering before but this evening has made me furious at the total ignorance and anti social behaviour of some people.
The new legislation is a pathetic attempt to gain public support while keeping the firework industry sweet. It is totally unenforceable by the police and I doubt if they would turn out for a complaint of fireworks being let off after 11pm.
No doubt this stance will elicit replies of "don't be such a miserable git" and other such remarks but for those who do not have companion animals and so do not see the suffering that they go through each year will never understand.

http://www.looking-glass.co.uk/campaigns/banthebang_intro.htm

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminblob.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

Tugmistress
07-Nov-04, 01:15
I think we are lucky, when we lived down in englandshire, in a city, for about 4 weeks before and a couple of weeks after bonfire night there were fireworks going off in the street outside our front door as that was the local 'hang out' for the teenagers (closed shop on the corner scenario).
When 4 dogs decide they are going to go berserk and they all weighed more than i, there wasn't a lot i could do about it!
we only have 2 of the original 4 now, but the last 2 years i have been p here has been bliss at bonfire time of year. I think if they have barked twice at fireworks that would be exagerating.

jellybean
07-Nov-04, 13:55
One of my dogs was very nervous and one of the others was sick after coming in from the garden. I wanted to keep them inside but they had to get out to the toilet! I enjoy firework displays and I think that they should be kept that way - as displays - not in back gardens. When there is a display about to take place you can ensure that your pets are kept away - and the fireworks are also going off for a relatively short space of time.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Nov-04, 20:36
Guide dogs are trained from a young age to be able to cope with different situations and keep calm. Gun Dogs are trained to deal with loud bangs. Maybe it is too late for an adult dog to get used to such things and maybe some breeds are more prone to nervous reactions than others. But maybe if as a puppy it was intoduced to loud noises and whistles it may be able to cope a lot better at this time of year. I am sure I have seen CDs of sound effects that you can play to your pup to introduce them to different sounds.

golach
07-Nov-04, 20:47
Banning the FIREWORKS is a lot easier
Golach

Naefearjustbeer
07-Nov-04, 21:03
Maybe, Maybe not but fireworks are allowed at the moment and probally will be for a while. Surely if you love animals you will do what you can to protect the ones that you look after. We live miles away from the town and we can still here bangs and screeches from several miles away on a still night. So if you restrict fireworks to organised events only, you will be seeing and hearing louder bigger explosions than your common garden fireworks. So for at least one night a year your animals will be submitted to the bangs. More small villages might decide to organise a local firework display instead of the 2 main towns so some of the village dwellers will be hearing bigger bangs than before. Even if the goverment does decide to ban fireworks how long will it take to come into force.

golach
07-Nov-04, 21:41
Catch 22 then
Golach

phoenix
07-Nov-04, 22:55
Our dog is totally stressed out with the fireworks.Dont get me wrong I like fireworks, but these past two nights have been a nightmare, so much so that we are totally shattered and decided to have an early night tonight, and guess what some morons out there decided to let some more off [evil] Hence Im up venting on here.A neighbours cat has even taken refuge behind our settee. I wish the government would bring out some kind of legislation the sooner the better. :mad:

Mandy
07-Nov-04, 23:17
Fireworks are a major topic of conversation at the moment - and to be honest, that doesn't surprise me.

I realise a lot of people will disagree with me, and accuse me of of being some kind of spoilsport that would like to stop people having fun. But I really think something has to be done about fireworks, as they are becoming a problem, and causing injury and distress to animals and children.

I have heard fireworks going off constantly near my house over the last 3 or 4 evenings. Oh good, that means lots of people are having fun. At the same time, it means lots of animals are terrified. This evening, I went outside to say goodbye to some visitors. As I was standing outside, a poor little cat came running past me, on my path - he had been scared by the loud bangs and screeches coming from some fireworks. So - is that acceptable? A family were having fun with fireworks in their garden, which had terrified at least one cat? My elderly cat was also scared - why should she be terrified in her own house?

So many children are injured by fireworks at this time of year, and so many animals are injured or terrified.

I don't see why animals or children should be made to suffer just so some people can enjoy themselves. We need to have some kind of law or legislation, to stop private firework displays going on for days at a time. If people enjoy fireworks so much, why can't we just have 1 big fireworks event, organised by an official party - maybe to raise money for the community at the same time. Everyone would then know to keep their pets in that night, and no harm would come to any children.

I am not going to put up with animals suffering, when there is no need for it. It's time the government took some kind of action against this, as it is getting beyond a joke now.

MadPict
07-Nov-04, 23:40
Guide dogs are trained from a young age to be able to cope with different situations and keep calm. Gun Dogs are trained to deal with loud bangs. Maybe it is too late for an adult dog to get used to such things and maybe some breeds are more prone to nervous reactions than others. But maybe if as a puppy it was intoduced to loud noises and whistles it may be able to cope a lot better at this time of year. I am sure I have seen CDs of sound effects that you can play to your pup to introduce them to different sounds.

From my local paper:

A number of guide dogs have to be retired or retrained every year due to the trauma caused by fireworks. Last year, six guide dogs had to be retired at a cost of £35,000 each. Besides the financial implications, many guide dog owners are left without the independence and mobility that their dogs provide.

In the case of our remaining dog, she was totally unfazed by fireworks, gunshots or thunderstorms as a youngster, but something triggered her fear and she is now a complete wreck. So what do you do then? It's easy to desensitise the animal if the fear is spotted early but when there is no fear until later years I becomes a problem.

And the knowledge that for one evening a year there are going to be firework displays would make sedating pets a lot easier. No suprises or fireworks for 2 weeks beforehand and for a week after. Just one night a year. But then I am in the minority and industry has the governments ear...

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict

MadPict
07-Nov-04, 23:57
The government has brought out legislation - only it is not enough. It is totally unenforceable. OK, if police see under 18's with fireworks in a public place they can fine them, but they have to catch the little dears first. 11pm is far too late a time to have as a cut off - at this time of the year it is dark by 6pm, so anything after 8.30 should be illegal. People who have to get up early for work go to bed early - and the cretins who let fireworks off at 9, 10 and later are causing disturbance to those who may go to bed early.

Even when our last pet is gone, I will not change my view on this, because I know the distress it causes, but then I am not the ignorant, moronic halfwit who derives some sick pleasure at setting off what are explosive devices in the middle of residential areas.

A COMPLETE ban on the sale of fireworks to unlicensed persons and a restriction on nights which fireworks can be set off is the only way forward for me...

JAWS
08-Nov-04, 01:19
Why is it that when people find something that does not suit them they always want it banned?

JammyDodger69
08-Nov-04, 11:52
I don't have a problem with fireworks..

But some eejit was setting them off at 6:30am on Sunday morning...

I hadn't been to bed yet thats how I heard them :roll:

Mr P Cannop
08-Nov-04, 12:30
there was some going off last night

KAT1E
08-Nov-04, 13:18
Children love fireworks, most of us like a good firework display but I think that the COUNCIL should organise and pay for a good firework display, one in Wick, one in Thurso, and also a smaller firework display for each of the parishes (our well paid councillors could see to such matters and hold the responsibility, they were voted for by their community, they should return the favour and thank their electors). Each of these should be on the SAME night, with lots of notice for horse and animal owners etc. We pay council tax etc and should get back something for our trouble.

I don’t think that a ban is necessary, I have lots of animals but I wouldn’t want children of today to miss out on the fireworks that I happily remember. I’m sure that most people would agree that a big firework display (done properly with no expense spared) would be better than people setting off their own little ones.

squidge
08-Nov-04, 14:16
I have two dogs and neither of them is particularly scared of fireworks. Ok it helps that my house sounds like there are fireworks going off every day of the week with three boys and the noise they make. not to mention me doing my shouting thing on occasion. I understand what you all say about fireworks but i STILL would defend my right to enjoy a small amount of fireworks in my back garden if i wanted to. Last year i had a bonfire party and a firework display which was more fun than fantastic i have to say but it was enjoyed by all. I was thoughtful and spoke to my neighbours and i was sure the fireworks were over by 10ish.

I love my pets and would never wish to see them distressed but are we really talking about banning something cos it scares the dogs and cats? Neighbours cats should be in neighbours houses dogs should be walked before the dark sets in and then after the bulk of the fireworks, the law should be enforced to ensure that unsocial and inappropriate use of fireworks is challenged and dealt with. But fireworks are a human pastime and should be enjoyed as such and not banned cos our pets dont like them.

lynne duncan
08-Nov-04, 16:02
I don't want them banned just the noise reduced somewhat and yes we did walk seamus before 5 but even with the telly up and my 3 bairns making their usual racket the noise of the fireworks was still enough to terrify the dog

phoenix
08-Nov-04, 17:23
I took our dog out a walk in the thick of it all on Friday night hoping that it may allay her fears. It did work temporarily, when she saw for herself what all the noise was really about she then appeared to calm down and was fine the rest of that night. Until last night. Neither do I think there are any hard and fast rules as to how to deal with distressed pets, whats right for one is not necessarily right for another.

I do think it very disrespectful though that some people let of fireworks in built up areas, in these areas there are young babies, sick people, frail old people plus the pets. Is it a case of we can do what we want regardless. In my eyes thats being selfish with little or no respect for anything or anyone else. [evil] Or do they think how are we to know theres old, young, sick etc or do they not think or care as long as theyre having their bit of fun.

I wouldnt want them banned but some come kind of laws governing their use wouldnt go amiss.

Has anyone thought that the pets maybe picking up on the fear thats associated with the people that are lighting the fireworks and not necessarily the bang itself?.

As for a neighbours cat in our home I doubt if thats got anything to do with anyone else Hes been coming to our home for a long time now for various reasons, hes like one of the family, his owners dont mind and neither do we. Our dog and the neighbours cat get on very well thankyou :)

George Brims
08-Nov-04, 18:22
How about the council designating only certain areas for the letting off of fireworks, such as the middle of Bignold Park in Wick, or similar space elsewhere. This would also allow the poilce to be able to keep a watchful eye without having to dedicate more than one or two people to the job.

Anyone want to buy a Dachshund that *loves* fireworks?

Donnie
08-Nov-04, 18:32
That would bring the end to the backyard fireworks party and i don't think that's fair. I'm sure a large % of the people complaining are the same people that have no problem letting their dogs mess in public areas and do nothing about them barking at passing people.

squidge
08-Nov-04, 18:34
Designated areas?

i dont know. I think that as long as people are sensible there is nothing wrong with a few fireworks in someones back garden. Speak to your neighbours let them know what is happening and that one night a year there will be loud bangs and squealy whooshes. Its the same if you live in a street and are having a party - you speak to your neighbours and say - well there will be loud music and a bit of noise tonight we are having a party/ barbeque/ whatever. No one suggests that the party one night a year or two nights a year should be banned cos its too loud. If it continues night after night after night then you call the police and they deal with it.

golach
08-Nov-04, 20:52
i dont know. I think that as long as people are sensible . Speak to your neighbours let them know what is happening and that one night a year there will be loud bangs and squealy whooshes. Its the same if you live in a street and are having a party - you speak to your neighbours and say - well there will be loud music and a bit of noise tonight we are having a party/ barbeque/ whatever. No one suggests that the party one night a year or two nights a year should be banned cos its too loud. If it continues night after night after night then you call the police and they deal with it.

Squidge Oh I wish I lived on your planet, whats it called again, Utopia? or is it Shangrila ?
keep wishing Squidge
Golach

MadPict
08-Nov-04, 20:54
That would bring the end to the backyard fireworks party and i don't think that's fair. I'm sure a large % of the people complaining are the same people that have no problem letting their dogs mess in public areas and do nothing about them barking at passing people.

Donnie,
As one of the more vociferous 'complainers' in this thread I should point out that around my neck of the woods if your dog fouls a public place you get fined more than if I set off a firework in that same public place, I clean up after my dog and it doesn't bark at passing people. I also keep her on a lead when in the vicinity of other dogs/people as I respect the law which states that dogs should be under control in public places and I would hate to have a destruction order imposed on my dog due to my stupidity or wanting to look like a macho man and show off my off lead control (or lack of) of my dog.

Sqiudge:
"I love my pets and would never wish to see them distressed but are we really talking about banning something cos it scares the dogs and cats? "

It's not jus about this - it is a bout the old and infirm being frightened out of their skin everytime one of these things goes off.
It is about the wildlife which gets the bejabbuz scared out of them during the 2 weeks around Nov 5th.
It's about the farm animals which are subjected to sights and sounds they are not used to.
It's about the scumbags who abuse fireworks and put them through peoples letter boxes.
Or how about sticking a firework in the mouth of a dog, which happened last week?
Or tying them to the tail of a cat?
Oh, such harmless fun....

Let me just clarify, I am not saying ban public organised displays, just restrict the sale of fireworks to properly licensed individuals. They are, after all, explosive devices and as such should be treated with respect. A drunken cretin, staggering in after a night on the pop, having a few rockets left over from Nov 5th, decides to wake up the neighbourhood with an impromptu firework display should be a thing of the past. But I give it a few days until we get woken up at 1am on a Friday night....

phoenix:
"...when she saw for herself what all the noise was really about she then appeared to calm down and was fine the rest of that night."

It was probably a state of shock she was in - not a state of relaxed nirvana. If your dog had slipped her lead I doubt if you would have seen her for a few hours or even days. Maybe never again.
Human nature makes it very hard not to try and comfort a family member in a state of distress (yes, even your dog is a family member), even though animal behaviourists state this is the wrong thing to do as it just enforces the fear/reaction. And you're right in saying what is right for one dog may not be right for another. Some say just leave the animal to find its own way round the fear, but when your dog is digging up the carpet by the door or throwing itself at the patio doors to get out it's impossible not to take some action. So right off youre re-enforcing the fear by trying to comfort the animal.
I speak from years as a dog owner, trainer of working dogs and being married to a veterinary nurse. So even with all our combined experience and knowledge we find it frustrating. Imagine how someone with less patience would react - taking the dog to a animal shelter is probably their final option short of putting the animal down.
And all for the momentary enjoyment of the anti-social few.

Naefearjustbeer
08-Nov-04, 21:14
Tongue firmly in cheek for this post.

If you were really worried about animals getting frightened and harmed we would not keep cats, the amount of suffering and destruction they cause to wild birds and rodents and fluffy little bunny rabbits... How often does your darling kitty leave a dismembered carcass in the garden? If you were really animal lovers you would not have such a evil animal. What if there were animals wandering about outside that did this to your pet cats? You would all be up in arms wanting them banned or deystroyed. I think people have to look at the bigger picture nature works in strange ways and believe it or not Humans are animals too and some of them do things that other animals dont like.

JAWS
08-Nov-04, 21:39
My current dogs don't seem to be bothered by fireworks and the dog I had a few years ago used to enjoy bonfire night. He used to fuss until he was allowed outside.

MadPict, I agree about the idiots who use them to abuse animals but that has little to do with fireworks, they would quite happily use something else if they were not available.

As for wildlife and farm animals, are we to stop everything else which might upset them?

What has "infirm" got to do with it? Are you suggesting that anybody with an infirmity is automatically of a nervous disposition and terrified out of their skin by the slightest noise?

Not all old people are "scared out of their skin" at every loud noise many of them are far tougher than people a lot younger than them.

And I find the insinuation that any pet owner that disagrees with you suffers from a total inability to read the reactions of their pets to be completely obnoxious.

I thought I had an ability to come up with totally outrageous exaggerations to make a point but I bow to your superior ability on that subject!

MadPict
08-Nov-04, 22:24
Me obnoxious?
Did I say they were unable to read their pets reactions? I merely stated an alternative to their perception of the way their pet was behaving. Maybe I'll burn all my Animal Psychology/Behaviour books next bonfire night.....

Wildlife and farm animals - I was again pointing out that it goes a bit further than just cats and dogs as Squidge suggested.

Infirm - maybe poor selection of word there - it was meant to cover the old and unwell. Not only the old and unwell, but also the old and the unwell. Oh, might as well through in babies too while I'm at it! I was taking examples from the elderly neighbours around me who I have talked to in the course of the day and who have expressed their dislike of this time of the year.

Oh but then I could have made it all up because I live in the middle of nowhere with no other houses for miles around and never suffer from firework disturbance............:roll:

I would never dream of trying to knock you off the top spot as the forum wag.....

:eyes MadPict

JAWS
08-Nov-04, 22:53
Do read what I said MadPict. I said that your insinuation that other pet owners could not read their pets reactions was what I found obnoxious.

In reply to phoenix saying her dog had calmed down you replied "It was probably a state of shock she was in - not a state of relaxed nirvana. If your dog had slipped her lead I doubt if you would have seen her for a few hours or even days. Maybe never again."
I would think that phoenix knows her dog well enough to be aware of the difference between it being calm and being in a state of shock!

Wildlife and farm animals? Cowering Cows? Stupefied Sheep? Petrified Pigs? Horrified Horses? Well I suppose they might be, but it's the first time I have ever heard that one as a reason to ban fireworks, but perhaps farmer's children have never had fireworks. And sorry, I forgot the Geriatric Goats!

People disliking this time of year there might be, even elderly people, but are we to put a stop to everything that some people find they dislike? Where would we stop?

And who would it be who lives in the middle of nowhere with no other houses for miles around? I wonder!

phoenix
08-Nov-04, 23:50
In reply to Donnie, my dog is always on the lead and kept under control at all times, does not foul in public places and does not bark at anyone, infact shed most probably lick you to death. And neither do I think that youre going to have to give up your backyard fireworks parties. That is not the issue here. Although I do think that people should be a little more thoughtful of the people that live in the surrounding area before they start setting them off. Its the fireworks that have been going off at odd times for almost a month now which is distressing people and animals.

In reply to Naefearjustbeer dont know what planet you live on that you think that humans are animals :confused Some of us have evolved since the cave man days, its apparent though that there are quite a few who havent.They must be the ones that are setting off these fireworks without a thought for anyone else but themselves..

Madpict Ive had my dog long enough to know her pretty well, I dont need a vetinary surgeon or book to guide me on that one. Do you really think I would be stupid enough to take her outside while the fireworks were going off if I thought it was going to distress her more than she was. I have instincts too and I use them, and she was off the lead at one point and no she didnt run away. Aniimals do communicate with us or hadnt you noticed.

MadPict
08-Nov-04, 23:51
My insinuation was obnoxious ergo I am obnoxious - that is how I read your statement.

It appears you do not read my posts either - "Did I say they were unable to read their pets reactions? I merely stated an alternative to their perception of the way their pet was behaving. "

Why do dogs wag their tails? Is because they are happy to see their owner or are they displaying submissive signs so that they are not put back in their rightful place in the pack?

You may see happiness, but I may see submission. Phoenix may see calm but I may see fright. Phoenix did write on 07 Nov 2004 21:55 "Our dog is totally stressed out with the fireworks."
So she tried to desensitise it by exposing it to the full fury of fireworks by walking it outside. Not an approach I or any other dog trainer I know would recommend. Desensitisation takes place over a period of time - it is not the same as a human being told to get over it, it won't hurt you. I could write pages on this but I hope you will accept what I say. If not...

First time you have heard about banning fireworks because of distress to farm animals?
First time for everything I suppose, but a little reading would show that it is not a new viewpoint.

Once again, and in uppercase so you actually absorb what I am saying -
I AM NOT FOR BANNING FIREWORKS - I AM FOR THE RESTRICTION OF THE SALE AND USE OF FIREWORKS.

R-e-s-t-r-i-c-t-i-o-n....

I wrote on 07 Nov 2004 @ 22:57 "A COMPLETE ban on the sale of fireworks to unlicensed persons and a restriction on nights which fireworks can be set off is the only way forward for me..."

I followed it up on 08 Nov 2004 @ 19:54 with "Let me just clarify, I am not saying ban public organised displays, just restrict the sale of fireworks to properly licensed individuals."

Now who's not reading...

"And who would it be who lives in the middle of nowhere with no other houses for miles around? I wonder!" - Sadly not me.......

MadPict
09-Nov-04, 00:17
Madpict Ive had my dog long enough to know her pretty well, I dont need a vetinary surgeon or book to guide me on that one. Do you really think I would be stupid enough to take her outside while the fireworks were going off if I thought it was going to distress her more than she was. I have instincts too and I use them, and she was off the lead at one point and no she didnt run away. Aniimals do communicate with us or hadnt you noticed.

Did I, at any point in this thread, call you stupid. Please do not make me out to be rude as well as obnoxious!
I am surprised you risked letting her off the lead. You admit she was already distressed - how much more distress could have triggered a flight response? And at night? How long would it have taken you to find her. How distressed would you have become at the prospect of losing your pet? Even for a short time.
Yes, animals do communicate with us and with 28 yrs experience working with animals I have noticed.....
:roll:

phoenix
09-Nov-04, 00:26
Madpict I never set out with our dog with the intention of desensitising her. Ill talk you through what happened shall I. Fireworks start going off, dog starts to panic, dog starts hyperventilating, I start to sense her stress so I decide to take her out in the fresh air{ I did ask her and she agreed, at no time did she display any signs that she didnt want to go had she done so I wouldnt have taken her out, she went willingly} I didnt take her out with the sole intention of desensitizing her, thats your perception.. Had she appeared more distressed I would have taken her back indoors. I walked her a little and let her lead the way as to where she wanted to go. I then took the lead off and she stayed by me, she lay down in the grass I presume to cool of a bit, she got up I asked her if she wanted to go home and she said yes. So we did. When we got home she got on the couch lay down and appeared to be thinking that wasnt so bad dont know what I was so worried about,"she was calm and relaxed" not fightened as you appeared to think. When shes frightened she shakes, she wasnt shaking. I know my dog. The fireworks were still going off but she didnt appear so bothered by them anymore that night. The following night they were going off again she started getting stressed a bit but not as bad as she had been previously. I know my dog and she knows me thats all Ill say. I dont give a hoot what dog-trainers think. I did what I felt I needed to do. Simple. :)

phoenix
09-Nov-04, 00:37
Madpict. It never once entered my head that she may take off. As I said I know my dog. Simple.

MadPict
09-Nov-04, 00:55
...{ I did ask her and she agreed,...:eek:

... she got up I asked her if she wanted to go home and she said yes....:eek:

...appeared to be thinking that wasnt so bad dont know what I was so worried about...

I dont give a hoot what dog-trainers think. I did what I felt I needed to do. Simple. :)

Whoa, a talking reasoning dog!! You have a fortune sitting on your couch!!!! [lol]

I am glad your approach worked on your dog. I am glad your dog didn't run off.
I am glad your dog appeared to be less stressed out. And I am glad she got through the next night with less stress.
I am not wishing to sound like I am criticising you. I wasn't, but I sense some hostility towards people who may try to help others with animal behaviour issues.
I think I will just shut up now and leave this thread before I need something to counter my stress.....

phoenix
09-Nov-04, 01:16
I am not being hostile towards anyone who may try to help others with animal behaviour issues.You see hostility I dont, you have your way of doing things I have mine Simple. :)

And yes my dog communicates with me, and yes she is worth a fortune. :D

JAWS
09-Nov-04, 01:48
MadPict, an obnoxious suggestion does not necessarily render the person making it obnoxious just as a brilliant suggestion does not necessarily render a person a genius.

Yes, dogs wag their tails for various reasons. Babies smile for various reasons, but I suspect that most mothers can tell if their baby is happy or just suffering from wind.
I also suspect that most dog owners can tell the difference between "Happy Dog" and "Submissive Dog".

My apologies for not clarifying, but as the general trend of the thread was about the misuse of fireworks I took it as read that we were not discussing the banning of organised displays but the banning of sales to the general public. As far as I am aware nobody has made the suggestion that organised displays be banned, though how animals tell the difference is a subject on which I would have to take advice.

As far as stress is concerned I always find walking my dogs a good source of releif! :D

Naefearjustbeer
09-Nov-04, 11:00
"And who would it be who lives in the middle of nowhere with no other houses for miles around? I wonder!" - Sadly not me.......

I do sort of :D :D . I live with no other inhabited house within a 1 mile circumference of my house and not even a road going past my house. I still see and hear fireworks from 4 miles away from the organised displays!! But I can make as much noise as i like with my garden firworks and not disturb anyone. In fact I can play my music as loud as I want & wander about outside in my garden naked if I so choose without upseting anyone. If you dont like the noise and activities assosiated with towns and cities you can always move.

JAWS
09-Nov-04, 13:44
I have a fairly good idea who MadPict was refering to as living in the middle of nowhere Naefearjustbeer and I also have a good idea that he didn't wish to risk walking into that particular minefield.

golach
09-Nov-04, 15:34
[quote=MadPict]

I do sort of :D :D . I live with no other inhabited house within a 1 mile circumference of my house and not even a road going past my house. I still see and hear fireworks from 4 miles away from the organised displays!! But I can make as much noise as i like with my garden firworks and not disturb anyone. In fact I can play my music as loud as I want & wander about outside in my garden naked if I so choose without upseting anyone. If you dont like the noise and activities assosiated with towns and cities you can always move.

I thought Caithness was part of Scotland not " Cloud Cuckoo Land. What planet do Naefearjsubeer and Jaws live on? Get real you pair!!!!!! because you have the luxury of living out in the country, you will not feel the pressure of life in an urban environment, especially at this time of year,when did Scots need to celebrate the burning of a Catholic Yorkshire man???? Fireworks should be Banned for sale to the Plebs
Golach

jellybean
09-Nov-04, 16:34
Jaws, As far as I am aware animals cannot tell the difference between organised firework displays, and back garden fireworks. :confused
IMHO, the point that others are making is that if only firework displays were permitted then the fireworks would last for a limited time that night rather than an entire week leading up to Nov 5th and after.
By allowing displays we keep the firework lovers happy, and by not allowing back garden fireworks we keep the pet owners happy.
I feel that peoples reactions to this topic are greatly affected by their pets reactions to fireworks.

DrSzin
09-Nov-04, 17:16
Golach, Golach, Golach, you are getting worryingly good at playing at "The original Grumpy Owld Man". You almost had me fooled for a minute, but I know you're not really anti-Catholic, anti-Yorkshireman, anti-rural, or even anti-Naefearjustbeer.

This thread does seem to be a case of: "Here are my (dog's) recent experiences of fireworks. Here are a few thoughts. This is what I want to do. Right, let's impose this solution on everyone else willy nilly."

It's not just a town v country thing either. Golach and I live about five miles apart on opposite sides of town. Mr G seems have suffered from firework abuse, but I haven't. I have seen and heard dozens of fireworks, bangs, and all the other usual stuff over the last week or so, but I have seen nothing I would call firework abuse. Maybe that says more about the area I live in than anything else(!), but it's true nonetheless. I guess I live in Cloud Cuckoo Land too. Nice to have you as a neighbour Naefearjustbeer. Mine's a pint of Caley IPA!

There does appear to be a lot of support for a ban on the sale of fireworks to the public. Last night's North Tonight reported the result of a recent poll (http://northtonight.grampiantv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=5234). Their news story begins:

An exclusive poll for North Tonight has revealed overwhelming support for a ban on the sale of fireworks to members of the public.

The results come after an overall drop in the number of mischiveous fires across Grampian, despite several worrying incidents during the bonfire period.

The Grampian Television poll produced a massive response to the fireworks debate.. and an overwhelming result IN FAVOUR of a ban on selling the potentially lethal explosives to members of the public.

Nearly six thousand people took part with 93% backing calls to stop fireworks being sold over the counter.

Just 7% of callers insisted the public should be able to buy fireworks.

That's about five and a half thousand people who felt sufficiently strongly to take part in a phone poll to call for a ban. I would take the figure of 93% with the largest grain of salt you can find because most people who support the status quo are not going to bother picking up the phone to say they don't want any change in the law. However, it does indicate a lot of very strong feeling "out there".

Personally, I don't much mind whether there is a ban on sales to the public or not. I used to love back-garden bonfires and firework displays when I was a young kid, but the last one I was at was in a friend's garden in London way back in 1985 or '86. To be honest, I am scared of setting the things off. I don't like the idea of lighting something that's designed to explode when lit! Call me a wimp if you like, but I am slightly scared of the things. I would much rather go to an organised display. I guess I would happily live in jellybean's world.

I was in France on July 14 this year and was horrified by young kids' antics with fireworks. But that's a different story for a different day.

JAWS
10-Nov-04, 00:28
What’s this about keeping people happy jellybean? That’s something that’s never crossed my mind before, I might even try it one day. Have you ever thought that pets just throw wobblers just to test the reactions of their owners? Watch the smug little look on their face next time they see their pals, “You should have seen the fuss I got. All that walking to heel, sitting, staying, waiting to be fed, wow, did I get my own back!”

Golach, that wee Yorkshire Tyke was trying to blow up a good Stuart King who was trying to civilise the English. He failed in his devious scheme so celebrate away.

And oh dear Golach, I never expected you to walk into the minefield, especially after my comment in my previous post. I suspect, having spent thirty years in a area about the size of Caithness but which had over two and a half million people crammed into it and living less than four miles from the city centre, I might just have a small inkling of urban life. Reports of people having fireworks put through their letter-boxes was an annual event, and not just the odd one either. Caithness at it’s worst is the epitome of silence by comparison.

As DrSzin points out, fireworks are not just a British Bonfire Night occurrence, most Countries have the same sort of thing only using a different excuse.
In France it’s to celebrate the storming of the Bastille and the release of all the poor prisoners. All half dozen or so of them, one of whom told them to clear off and stop bothering him, but I believe the rumour he told them to shut the door and stop the draught is an exaggeration.

Bonfire nights and fireworks are always good for getting a good discussion going and you can get it almost as heated as football or politics. (No pun intended)
Hope all your pets have recovered and are back to normal and that none of them suffered too much!