PDA

View Full Version : A new broch for Caithness/Scotland?

Rheghead
06-Nov-04, 07:57
On a recent trip to Lewis I was impressed by a copy of a dwelling from the stone age. It was completely renovated with thatched roof and it gave me a good idea of how it may have been to live in there at those times.
As Caithness is the broch county, could a new broch be built for the purpose of an experiment in iron age broch research and ultimately as a tourist feature?

JAWS
06-Nov-04, 09:18
Sounds like a great idea to me in fact it sounds very much like a "Why didn't somebody think of that before" ideas. I've never heard of it having been done before unless anybody know of one.

If people go to Orkney for the Archeology then why not Caithness, the County is full of it.

MadPict
07-Nov-04, 00:34
On my recent trip to Orkney we revisited Skara Brae and I have to say that I was impressed with the new visitor centre and cafe and the reconstruction of one of the houses. It was probably a necessary introduction as I recall being able to walk around the proper houses many years ago. Obviously the passage of endless feet was causing damage to the site so the new build house was brought in - although the plastic lobster on the shelves was something that could be done away with!
The whole 'ancient monument industry' in Orkney seemed to be a well thought out visitor attraction and would probably need someone with vision to get something similar off the ground in Caithness.
It can be done on a private basis - witness The Tomb Of The Eagles - a family run historic monument and interesting to pay a visit to. The ability to get your hands on artifacts 5,000 years old adds to the experience.
Could this be done in Caithness? And where would you start?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

JAWS
07-Nov-04, 04:56
Where to start? Well there's a half-hearted attempt at Camster but I dread to think what visitors think of it.

There's a small plaque with almost no information about the site at all and the lane to the Cairns has obviously been neglected for years and in places is in danger of collapsing. What sort of impression this gives to the many Foreign tourists who go to the site I dread to think.

What about the Yarrows? Again, the information about the area is minimal to say the least.

Achavanich? No information at all, not even a sign saying it's there. A lay-by was recently provided there, I presume by the Council. What did they do? Well, instead of putting it on the opposite side of the lane to the sight they managed to dig into the site but fortunately did little damage. You try digging great lumps out of an Ancient Monument to park your car and see what happens!

That's just a sample of three sites people pass on their way into the County which, apart from the odd small sign, are virtually ignored.

There are a wealth of similar sites in the area which could be made just as interesting as those on Orkney. The only difference being that Orkney has got it's act together and the local authorities have got off their backsides and used some imagination.

If Orkney can be bothered to make the effort to attract visitors then why can't Caithness?

Zael
08-Nov-04, 12:59
Where to start? Well there's a half-hearted attempt at Camster but I dread to think what visitors think of it.

Half hearted? I'm sure all the volunteers that took part really love you JAWS. Just exactly how much work did you put into that project? You really do love to have a go at the efforts of others, dont you? Where can we visit an example of your efforts?

JAWS
08-Nov-04, 19:11
Zael, thanks for pointing out to me how that part of my post read. I see exactly what you mean but I didn't intend it to read like that. If I have offended anybody who helped with the sites restoration then I apologise without reservation, it certainly was not meant.

The Cairns themselves are not the problem I would recommend anybody to visit them. The board walks to the Cairns are excellent giving both dry access for visitors and saving muddy, unsightly paths round about the site.

What I was complaining about was the minimal amount of information at the site itself and the state of the road to them which is in a disgraceful state and has been for quite some time. The only action which has been carried out is to create a Weight Limit, which in effect stops coaches carrying visitors having access to the site. Making the road suitable for traffic other than private cars has just been ignored.

Surely an Information Board similar to those at places like Lybster Harbour and Castletown could be provided so visitors are given some details of the sites history would be helpful. And not only there but at other similar site throughout the County.

Rheghead
09-Nov-04, 01:17
what Caithness needs is a better global plan to promote its heritage. The efforts by a few well-intended individuals must be commended. They are not at fault, it is us (people who live in caithness) and local government who should promote our area without quarter. Without public support we cannot do ' an Orkney' or do ' a stone henge'
I think it would be a good idea to build a fully reconstructed broch as the flagship for a reconstructed archaeological and tourist image for Caithness.
Visitors to this area might then delay their ferry to orkney and stay for a bit longer?

Without tourism how can we make an honest crust without relying on established income that won't be around forever? :confused

Caithness's heritage is the only thing they can't take away from us!

Naefearjustbeer
09-Nov-04, 11:02
Did they not build a cairn or something this summer at spittal? I am sure I saw pictures on this site and in the Groat

http://www.caithnessarchaeology.org.uk/

edit to add website