PDA

View Full Version : DVDs And Cd's Are In Danger

tori
08-Jul-11, 20:04
DVDs And Cd's Are In Danger According To Study's More People Are Downloading Than Buying Them Out Of The Shops.
What Are Other Peoples Views
Personally I Think 15 Pound For A New DVD Just Out Is A Rip Off When U Can Download Them For Free.
May bay They Should Take The Price Down And More People Would Buy Them Out The Shops.

bagpuss
08-Jul-11, 20:08
Illegal downloads starve the industry of money needed to produce new films etc.
Agree that the price of a DVD is too high- but keep in mind that it is the lower budget films that would be hit hardest.

A film gets its reputation and ranking fromwhat it takes at the box office from cinemas- what comes later is built on the back of that

noswebservices
08-Jul-11, 20:17
to be totaly honest £15 is not much for a dvd when if you think it will last you years watching it time and time again but people dont grudge £20 for a bottle of vodka ware?

tori
08-Jul-11, 20:26
why pay 15 pound when u can get it for nothing put it on disk and you still can still watch it for years.
And u can get the newest films months before they are released.

SunnyChick
08-Jul-11, 20:33
I think Lady Gaga has the right idea - make her material available at a really good price, and folks will buy it. Even those who aren't that fussed would buy it at a cheap price, and she's more likely to gather a bigger fan base by making her stuff cheaper and therefore more accessible? No?

http://mashable.com/2011/05/23/lady-gaga-amazon-2/ Pity about the "technical difficulties" ofcourse! LOL!

weezer 316
08-Jul-11, 21:40
Tori,

If everyone did that there would be no content produced at all, so you would have no films or music!

I agree its way over priced though. its quite incredible when you consider 10 years ago it would often take 9 months + before a film was released on DVD as they were milking every last penny from it. Piracy forced them to release it far sooner

Phill
08-Jul-11, 21:54
Unfortunately the pirateers / pirates / piratees (I'm sure someone will be along to correct me grammor n stuff) are there own worse enemy. The more they try and download stolen gear and share it the more control the industry will want. Including lobbying govts for stronger legislation which forces ISPs etc into closing down websites or turning off your tinterweb.Yes the prices for some CDs and DVDs are high but in the scheme of things not always that bad. What I don't like is the vision of the future where iTunes and the like dictate how many times you listen to your music or how many devices you load it onto.At least when I buy a CD I then have control over my purchase, rather the industry deciding where I store/ load it. Time may soon come when pretty much all devices and high fidelity equipment will not play any unknown media, possibly including old CDs, thus forcing all the legitimate owners to repurchase via a controlled download, music they already have paid for.

J C Denton
08-Jul-11, 22:03
"Home taping is killing the music industry".

I, and I'm sure many others on here, can remember that being emblazoned on the inner sleeves of LPs. It didn't happen, and it didn't stop people buying LPs. P2P file sharing is, essentially, home taping for a new generation. It won't kill the music industry, and it won't stop people buying CDs.

Kodiak
08-Jul-11, 22:15
why pay 15 pound when u can get it for nothing put it on disk and you still can still watch it for years.
And u can get the newest films months before they are released.

Downloading New Films and not paying for them is Theft and you can get prosecuted for this. Personally I would rather buy a DVD than run the risk of getting a Criminal Record.

I never have or would ever consider using a illegal Torrent site as you suggest.

tori
08-Jul-11, 22:20
what i never suggested anything im just saying what i think

Geo
08-Jul-11, 22:54
Are we talking legal or illegal downloads? I stream most of my music these days, legally via Spotify. If more and more people do that then CD sales will go down however the industry is getting paid by Spotify's customers. With films I sometimes stream free ones, again legally. With DVDs I usually wait until they are available for about £4 in the shop before I buy them, otherwise I buy them 2nd hand. I doubt the film industry will get rich off me. :)

Mystical Potato Head
08-Jul-11, 23:19
Downloading New Films and not paying for them is Theft and you can get prosecuted for this. Personally I would rather buy a DVD than run the risk of getting a Criminal Record.

I never have or would ever consider using a illegal Torrent site as you suggest.

Who suggested using an illegal Torrent site and what do torrent sites do anyway?

tori
08-Jul-11, 23:23
hey a torrent site is where u can download dvds and cds for free such as www.isohunt.com but u can also download of websites such as www.oneclickmoveiz.com (http://www.oneclickmoveiz.com)

RecQuery
09-Jul-11, 00:02
The problem with those "studies"... well there are many problems but the main one is that they assume that every download is a lost sale; that if a person couldn't download it they would buy it, which just isn't the case. They always complain that they're making less money, despite the fact that their industry is constantly growing.

I think the ebook industry may be hit next, I've bought some ebooks that cost more than the hardback version. It's all just symptomatic of their inability to adapt.

EDIT: Also they've been complaining about this since magnetic tapes, Walkmans and Betamax came out.

ducati
09-Jul-11, 08:15

Bye Bye Baby the Bay City Rollers. Now, that was a Criminal Record!

ducati
09-Jul-11, 08:20
I think I must be a bit of an old fud. I've never downloaded music I wouldn't know where to start. In fact I can't remember the last time I bought music at all!

As far as I'm concerned 'they' stopped making decent music somewhere in the mid 70s. I still have a tape player in the car.

I sound like my dad :lol:

_Ju_
09-Jul-11, 08:21
"Home taping is killing the music industry".

I, and I'm sure many others on here, can remember that being emblazoned on the inner sleeves of LPs. It didn't happen, and it didn't stop people buying LPs. P2P file sharing is, essentially, home taping for a new generation. It won't kill the music industry, and it won't stop people buying CDs.
There is a slight difference: with taping you had to be in the vicinity and know someone personally who could get the tape for you. You had to exchange something physical ( the tape) to be able to hear the music. With the internet you do not even have to be on the same continent, never mind "know someone". There is no exchange of any thing physical, but digitized information and where the tapes had a huge loss of sound quality, digital copying will keep it's quality as original infinately.

The entertainment industry have had there way for a very long time. They are pricing themselves out of cinema go-ers ( when I was studying I went every week and still love going to the cinema. Not counting the trip to Inverness, it is damn expensive to go to the cinema! And what they charge for refreshments is highway robbery). Then there are the CD's/DVD's. I think that yes, they are expensive. So I do not buy any, except the ocassional childrens film and my son's wii games. They are unafordable for me. I do not understand why their price has to be so high, especially since we are paying to view advertising ( product placements) and there is a whole industry, especially with childrens films, of toys and games which I think is the largest pofit generator for the film ( or would that be that the film is a mere vehicle for the selling of these products now?)

gerry4
09-Jul-11, 10:56
For years people have been trying to improve the sound of recorded music. That was one reason CD's were first brought in. A CD can take a year or 2 to produce. The CD player has been improved so much since the first was brought out. Speakers and amplifiers can cost hundreds or 1,000's to reach perfection.

What do people do these days, download music as squashed as possible, obliterating the music tone and depth the at the artist spent such a long time trying to create. Listen to it on tiny we things we plug into our ears and play it at such high volume we destroy our hearing, so we miss even more of the music range over time.

Why did they bother.

gerry4
09-Jul-11, 11:04
Thought i would break my post up into 2, as i wanted to make 2 different points.

Yes, music & films are expensive and this does encourage illegal coping and downloading. One thing against this is if enough people made illegal copies then music & films will become blander than they are now. Why? Simple less money coming in means everything will need to be hit, the record & film companies would not be able to afford flops.

One of my biggest objects to illegal copies is that by buying etc you are financing child & adult trafficking. You are directly responsible for children from Eastern Europe, Africa, etc being raped by men in this country. It is irrefutable that people who control these gangs are financed by pirating copies of CD & DVD's, black market tobacco, etc. Look at your daughters and see if you would like the man you bought your cheap CD from, raping her. Not a pleasant thought but you are helping it happen to someone's daughter.

sids
09-Jul-11, 11:32
Right- we'll all steal music for free off t'internet and that means there will be no profit for record companies. Frankly, who cares?

The biz will either find some other way of making money out of 9-13-year old girls or they won't.

Will there be no more new albums from megastars? I guess we won't miss what we never have.

sids
09-Jul-11, 11:35
Look at your daughters and see if you would like the man you bought your cheap CD from, raping her. Not a pleasant thought but you are helping it happen to someone's daughter.

So, should we buy Bill Wyman's records or not? What about Jerry Lee Lewis (complicated, that one)?

theone
09-Jul-11, 13:45
So, should we buy Bill Wyman's records or not? What about Jerry Lee Lewis (complicated, that one)?

Michael Jackson?

Oh, wait. He's was innocent. A $15 Million out of court settlement saw to that!

RecQuery
09-Jul-11, 13:50
For years people have been trying to improve the sound of recorded music. That was one reason CD's were first brought in. A CD can take a year or 2 to produce. The CD player has been improved so much since the first was brought out. Speakers and amplifiers can cost hundreds or 1,000's to reach perfection.

What do people do these days, download music as squashed as possible, obliterating the music tone and depth the at the artist spent such a long time trying to create. Listen to it on tiny we things we plug into our ears and play it at such high volume we destroy our hearing, so we miss even more of the music range over time.

Why did they bother.

Evidently someone has never heard of lossless encoding. I try to get most of my music or audiobooks in FLAC. You sound like one of those hipsters that constantly goes on about how good vinyl is or one of those idiot audiophiles who buy £100 cables.

Just because a low bitrate MP3 is crappy doesn't mean everything is. WAV (the format used on CDs) actually does some algorithmic things but you probably never noticed that.

gerry4
09-Jul-11, 15:34
Just because a low bitrate MP3 is crappy doesn't mean everything is. WAV (the format used on CDs) actually does some algorithmic things but you probably never noticed that.

Most commerical sites the music is downloaded mp3. bit rate 192k or 320k very difficult to get it in WAV or FLAC. With that much compression, the quality is bound to be lost.
Yes I have heard of 'lossless encoding' but the downloading sites have not.

gerry4
09-Jul-11, 15:35

Did I say i agreed with them? Seems as if your not bothered that your illegal CD's & DVD maybe funding child trafficking, so long as you get your cheap music

theone
09-Jul-11, 15:53
Did I say i agreed with them? Seems as if your not bothered that your illegal CD's & DVD maybe funding child trafficking, so long as you get your cheap music

Don't kid yourself, these gangs are out to make money, and if there wasn't money to be made in child trafficking, they wouldn't be doing it. They certainly don't need to sell CD's to subsidise it!

On another note, I would have thought in this digital age the vast majority of media piracy is done over the internet, using torrents and p2p free sharing sites. I think the days of buying DVD's at dodgy market stalls must be numbered.

sids
09-Jul-11, 15:59

Have I got Illegal CD and DVDs? News to me. Tell me which ones they are and I can hand them in to the authorities.

Buying almost anything "maybe funding child trafficking." Tell me though- why do they traffic children if it makes such a loss that it has to be funded by countefeit LPs? Edit: Someone above me has a business head for white slaving too!

gerry4
09-Jul-11, 16:10
Don't kid yourself, these gangs are out to make money, and if there wasn't money to be made in child trafficking, they wouldn't be doing it. They certainly don't need to sell CD's to subsidise it!

On another note, I would have thought in this digital age the vast majority of media piracy is done over the internet, using torrents and p2p free sharing sites. I think the days of buying DVD's at dodgy market stalls must be numbered.

This article was 2009 http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/14/uk-child-trafficking-piracy-drugs Yes things have moved on but who puts these DVD's & CD's up, who builds these sites? The ones who used to provide the DVD's outside of underground stations or for car boot sales. Do you think these type of people would give up their income so easily. It is not me who needs to stop kidding themselves.

sids
09-Jul-11, 16:18
This article was 2009 http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/14/uk-child-trafficking-piracy-drugs Yes things have moved on but who puts these DVD's & CD's up, who builds these sites? The ones who used to provide the DVD's outside of underground stations or for car boot sales. Do you think these type of people would give up their income so easily. It is not me who needs to stop kidding themselves.

So are you saying that if we don't buy their dodgy CDs, they'll traffic children instead?

gerry4
09-Jul-11, 16:20
My last comment. Those who want to listen will, those who don't, won't. No point in flogging a dead horse with some folks

theone
09-Jul-11, 16:21
Yes things have moved on but who puts these DVD's & CD's up, who builds these sites?

Anyone who wants to. And you don't pay to download from them. Mainly computer geeks and those who want to fight the system.

Do you think these type of people would give up their income so easily. It is not me who needs to stop kidding themselves.

I think you do.

Are you seriously suggesting that if these "gangs" stopped making money from CD sales (which the internet has now destroyed) then child trafficking would stop?

Bazeye
09-Jul-11, 17:10
This thread's getting daft now.

RecQuery
09-Jul-11, 20:06
I've seen plenty of music downable in FLAC, movies downloadable as H.264 MKVs/OGVs or even complete DVD or Blueray ISOs and other high quality formats. I'd list where I saw them but it's probably not allowed. Actually these scene releases have higher quality formats than a lot of the legitimate sources.

I'd say the sex trade doesn't need to be subsidised by anything, I'm reasonably sure that it's always been profitable. There's a difference between someone downloading a movie or a CD at home and a gang selling pirated stuff, I'm actually surprised the latter is still on the go.