PDA

View Full Version : In Bruges

John Little
08-Jul-11, 19:23
I loved the film - but this is not about the film. My wife went there years ago and always said that she wanted to take me there. So since I retired last week, off we went to Bruges.

If you don't know it then I would recommend a visit - I certainly intend to return. It reminds me very strongly indeed of Venice except it has traffic. Very old, feels very safe; friendly, mediaeval, and just a great place to visit. Museums, galleries, lace, chocolate, superb beer, chips, traditional cooking and your attention engaged all the time.

For me the best thing was hiring a couple of bikes for the day and cycling out into the surrounding countryside and down to Zeebrugge. Cycling is so easy with cycle paths everywhere and bikes have priority over cars.

Next time we are going to take ferry to Zeebrugge or Ostend and cycle to Ypres and down to the Somme and Verdun. There's an expedition planned.

It was a grand wee break - and if you've never been then I think you'd love it if you ever got or made the chance to go.

And these folk run a good hotel-

http://www.bryghiahotel.be/

scotsboy
08-Jul-11, 20:33
Spent 5 days there in 1992, about time for a return.

Dusty
09-Jul-11, 12:48
Have been to Bruges about five times, the wife and I love it.
We usually stay at Jabbeke about 5 miles to the south-west and take the bus into the City.
The chips and gravy at the Markt Square are brilliant for keeping you going till tea-time.
I have been told that the apparent age of the buildings is a bit of a sham since they have been rebuilt a few times, but that might just be the Ghent folk dissing the place:lol:.

theone
09-Jul-11, 12:58
Good place when the beer festival is on.

Antwerp is apparently good too.