PDA

View Full Version : Toothache

funky-dunky
06-Jul-11, 19:18
Major toothache, taking paracetomol and keep brushing teeth all day, also had a whole bottle of mouth wash, nothing is helping, am terrified of going to the dentist, what would everyone else do in this situation, or what can i do to take my mind of the horror of going to the dentist,

Doreen
06-Jul-11, 19:24
Aw sweetie know the feeling ive got co codomals that is strong do you want 2 but you need to see dentist

Corrie 3
06-Jul-11, 19:25
Have a word with GetWithTheTimes.......I am sure he has something stashed away that will help your aching teeth!
Failing that, Oil of cloves from the chemist!!

C3......:roll::roll:;)

funky-dunky
06-Jul-11, 19:26
ive got nothing but paracetomol in the house, so will just have to keep the pain until tomorrow hopefully ill get emergency appointment, will they end up taking my teeth out or will they just give me fillings/treatment,

funky-dunky
06-Jul-11, 19:27
Have a word with GetWithTheTimes.......I am sure he has something stashed away that will help your aching teeth!
Failing that, Oil of cloves from the chemist!!

C3......:roll::roll:;)

getwiththetimes??? ive tried the clove oil, cant use it make me sick

Corrie 3
06-Jul-11, 19:30
getwiththetimes??? ive tried the clove oil, cant use it make me sick
He is a Member on here, he has stuff to take away pain!!!

C3.....;)

Corrie 3
06-Jul-11, 19:35
Ithoght you were my fried i have been a a carer for 14 yrs i also an first response wi nhs xx
I am your Friend Doreen, I like you a lot!!

C3......:)

Kodiak
06-Jul-11, 20:57
Major toothache, taking paracetomol and keep brushing teeth all day, also had a whole bottle of mouth wash, nothing is helping, am terrified of going to the dentist, what would everyone else do in this situation, or what can i do to take my mind of the horror of going to the dentist,

If you are in that much pain I would suggest that you go to A&E at Caithness General. They should be able to give you a strong Pain Killer to tide you over until you can see a Dentist.

I hope all goes wrll with you and you get the problem sorted sooner rather than later.

bluechesse
06-Jul-11, 22:23
Whiskey. Rinse it round your mouth, some times helps to numb the pain a bit.
Failing that, just drink the bottle.

funky-dunky
06-Jul-11, 22:33
[QUOTE=bluechesse;867108]Whiskey. Rinse it round your mouth, some times helps to numb the pain a bit.
Failing that, just drink the bottle.[/QUOT

Tried the whisky already the last time i had this toothache but didnt work, if only i liked it i probally would have drank the bottle lol

Dadie
06-Jul-11, 22:34
If you are climbing the walls with the pain go to A&E they can give you some painkillers that will take your mind off the pain.
Strong ones that may knock you out!
At 0845 at the latest phone nhs 24 or the emergency dentist no tommorrow to get an appt for that day.
Good luck xxxx

funky-dunky
06-Jul-11, 22:43
Hiya, i cant really take much pain killers to be honest as i am asthmatic. yeah i think i need to contact them in the morning, but i cant get through to wick and i do not know if there is a dentist in thurso that will see me, cant go to hospital with the toothache last time i done that they said they cant help me and i had to contact the dentist

Dadie
06-Jul-11, 22:51
There is some decent painkillers you can take even if you are asthmatic..I got dihydrogen codiene when I went in with a tooth abscess and you can have that if you are asthmatic!
It knocked me for 6 though...im bad OTC at the best of times as the old benylin for coughs used to knock me out as well.
So I try not to take painkillers unless absolutely needed...but when I had the tooth abcess I was pacing the floor with tears rolling down my face, white as a sheet I then figured it was time for the serious pain relief!

funky-dunky
06-Jul-11, 23:05
There is some decent painkillers you can take even if you are asthmatic..I got dihydrogen codiene when I went in with a tooth abscess and you can have that if you are asthmatic!
It knocked me for 6 though...im bad OTC at the best of times as the old benylin for coughs used to knock me out as well.
So I try not to take painkillers unless absolutely needed...but when I had the tooth abcess I was pacing the floor with tears rolling down my face, white as a sheet I then figured it was time for the serious pain relief!

not sure but think its that what i got, its starting to give me a very sore throat too, but am scared of dentists but i am just going to have to go tomorrow

Koi
06-Jul-11, 23:10
You need to go to the dentist. It's the only thing that will stop the pain. There is a number you can call to get a emergency appointment if you don't have a dentist. I'm sure the nhs24 can give you it.
I know how you feel as i had it bad when i was pregnant. I couldn't take anything but paracetmol which is always next to useless.

trix
07-Jul-11, 00:31
ye could always tie a rop roond yer sore tooth an' 'e door handle, then gie 'e door a swift kick :D

it probly wilna work but it mite take yer mind off'ed for a bit.....

billy5000
07-Jul-11, 03:59
http://dentala2z.co.uk/Dental-Cement-High-Strength-Permanent-Filling/en

try this

Gronnuck
07-Jul-11, 09:50

You need to go to a Dentist.
Tell the practice that you have a real phobia and would need to work with someone who has some sympathy/understanding of the issue. As a 60something most of my experiences of Dentists was not good until I met a Dentist who explained that while training it was explained to them that there was a whole generation of people who had a poor opinion of the profession because of the way they had been treated and had thus developed a real fear of treatment. Thankfully much has changed.
If you can afford it, go private. The Dental Practice in Back Bridge Street, Wick, is excellent.

poppett
07-Jul-11, 10:40
Hope you have been able to get an emergency appointment in Thurso.

I understand the phobia and was nine years without a dentist because the butcher I went to insisted I have valium which doesn`t agree with me and the fear of being given any drugs now is still with me. I am the in the lucky position of having found a dentist who has listened and has agreed to do fillings without drugs. He was more nervous than I was, but it works for us.

Agree if I could afford to go private then it would be at The Bridges in Wick.

If you explain your phobia then the NHS will help you overcome it, and there is always the option of the community dentist at Caithness General with Rob Nicol. He has done some excellent work with phobic patients.

Hope the pain will soon be over.

funky-dunky
07-Jul-11, 13:17
Hi all, havent managed to get appointment for today, woke up early to contact them to find out my phone is not working just now, there working on the lines, so another day in agony, but hopefully i can get appointment in the morning, i can hardly bare the pain but its my own fault should have been at the dentist sooner than now.

NickInTheNorth
07-Jul-11, 13:31
if you still need pain killers the best over the counter one you can get at the pharmacy is probably nurofen plus - it is a nurofen/codein tablet. Worked for me when I had to endure agonizing tooth ache over a weekend.

funky-dunky
07-Jul-11, 23:28
if you still need pain killers the best over the counter one you can get at the pharmacy is probably nurofen plus - it is a nurofen/codein tablet. Worked for me when I had to endure agonizing tooth ache over a weekend.

bought anadins and still not helping

poppett
09-Jul-11, 12:10
Neurofen are the best painkillers for toothache and dental pain. I have had root canal treatment with just neurofen for pain relief (and a good dentist) If there is an abcess there all the painkillers in the world won`t help if it needs drained and antibiotics for the infection. If you have an infected abcess and do nothing about having it treated it could affect your jawbone causing more grief in the long run.

Doreen
09-Jul-11, 12:44
My little grandaughter was in tears with toothace yesterday and i phoned lochshell dentist in wick and i got an appointment right away why dont you give them a phone my heart goes out to you there is nothing worse than toothace and poppet is right if its an abcess you need antibiotics hope you get relief soon.

funky-dunky
09-Jul-11, 20:04
Hi still got major toothache, called the dental helpline on friday but no one was there to help, or i couldnt get a appointment, try again monday i think in too much pain, but like i said before terrified of the dentist, but cant keep this up no chance, taking alot of tablets etc for it ive tried paracetomol, anadin, co-codamol and oragel gum gel, ive also bought the corsodyl mouthwash but nothing helping me, so think ill have to see dentist, andone got number for lochshell?

RecQuery
09-Jul-11, 20:12
You need to call that help line directly, do it as soon as the place opens - failing that I believe casualty has an emergency dentist. Until then dip a small amount of cotton wool in clove oil and pack that around the tooth/area, if possible fill the cavity with it.

NickInTheNorth
09-Jul-11, 20:22
I've given up feeding this particular troll. If the tooth ache was as bad as they are saying they would have done something about it by now.

Dadie
09-Jul-11, 20:26
You need to call the helpline ..thats all you will be told if you call Lochshell but if you want to have that pointless phonecall the no is 01955 609940.
Phone NHS direct now and explain the pain and the amount and kind of painkillers you are taking, they may send you to the hospital to see a Doctor to get stronger/different painkillers especially if you are still in severe discomfort on the max dose you can take!

bluechesse
09-Jul-11, 20:29
Seriousley though, thats 3 days! If it's that bad, and you haven't managed to get an appointment after 3 days, your just not trying hard enough.

linnie612
09-Jul-11, 21:31
I've given up feeding this particular troll. If the tooth ache was as bad as they are saying they would have done something about it by now.

I've been thinking the same myself, but didn't want to be the first to say it. I don't wish to be unkind, and if I'm wrong, my sincere apologies.......but it just doesn't ring true.

Dadie
09-Jul-11, 22:35
Bridges is 606999 if so bad you need an appt immediately as its a private practice and will cost more (but might be worth it to be rid of the pain). Try all nos at 0845 on monday morning starting with the emergency helpline(waiting till you get through before ringing the others)

Koi
10-Jul-11, 00:42
Hi still got major toothache, called the dental helpline on friday but no one was there to help, or i couldnt get a appointment, try again monday i think in too much pain, but like i said before terrified of the dentist, but cant keep this up no chance, taking alot of tablets etc for it ive tried paracetomol, anadin, co-codamol and oragel gum gel, ive also bought the corsodyl mouthwash but nothing helping me, so think ill have to see dentist, andone got number for lochshell?

Don't mean to be unkind but did you not realise that you needed to see the dentist if you are in this much pain? The only thing that will get rid of this pain is to see the dentist! Yuo may be terrfied but surely if the pain is that bad you can overlook it and try and beat your fear? You should not let fear rule you.
Distraction and tryign to froget it will give yo a bit of a relief for a while. When i had it bad the only other time i had it when i wasn't pregnant i would wake upo not remmebring the pain and not feel it for a couple of hours. But if i woke up remembering it hurt from the word go. Distraction did not help when i had it during pregnancy. Couldn't take a thing and just had to carry on. I'm not one for taking pills unless i really, really need to and paractemol is just a utter waste of time.

Bazeye
10-Jul-11, 01:06
If you're that scared to visit the dentist, have a smoke before you go. If you're even scareder, have one before you phone to make the appointment.

Gronnuck
10-Jul-11, 09:15

Seriousley though, thats 3 days! If it's that bad, and you haven't managed to get an appointment after 3 days, your just not trying hard enough.

I've been thinking the same myself, but didn't want to be the first to say it. I don't wish to be unkind, and if I'm wrong, my sincere apologies.......but it just doesn't ring true.

I have to say this thread is getting a bit tiresome; Orgers are beginning to question the validity of your ongoing toothache.
There are phobias and fears but funky-dunky you're beginning to sound as if you're just wanting lots of attention. You can pop as many pills as you like but all they'll do is give you a little relief at best or give you major stomach problems at worse.
I'm sure all of us what to hear you've been courageous enough to visit a Dentist even if it means camping on their doorstep tomorrow morning.