PDA

View Full Version : Alex Johnston.....

Torvaig
06-Jul-11, 12:44
So sad to hear of the death of Alex Johnston, photographer. Alex was a gentleman in every way; always doffed his hat when you met him and had a quiet, respectful way of conversing. He will be sadly missed....

Caithness is so fortunate in that he left the Johnston Collection in the care of The Wick Society who are making sure that it will live on forever as a collection of national importance.

trix
06-Jul-11, 18:10
aye, he wis an awfuly fine manie.

an' he wisna no weel for any length o' time afore he left, auld auld but no no weel....if ye ken fit ah mean.

il miss him.

pat
06-Jul-11, 18:53
As you say Torvaig - a gentleman in every way.
A pleasure to have met him. One of the old school.
He will be missed.

Kevin Milkins
07-Jul-11, 07:36
I never met Mr Johnston, but I'm facinated by the family collection of photos.

The saying "gone but not forgoten" will certainly have a very true meaning.

Torvaig
07-Jul-11, 08:31
Yes, Kevin; he will live on in that wonderful collection; I keep going back to it.....

Moira
08-Jul-11, 21:03
I will echo what has already been said about Alex on this thread. I've enjoyed many conversations with Alex over the years though, regretfully, not recently.

He was indeed a gentleman and went about his business very quietly. I've also known Alex to be quite "feisty" on occasions if something did not please him. I respect that. Alex and his family have left a huge legacy to all of us in the north of Scotland.

There's a letter in today's John o'Groat Journal from the Chairman of Wick Society which pays tribute to Alex and his family much more eloquently than I could.

RIP Alex. You'll be very much missed.