PDA

View Full Version : News Of The World / News International

mi16
06-Jul-11, 07:41
What do we all make of this story that is unfolding in from of our eyes?
Hacking phones of murder victims families!!
Corrupt police force!!
And it seems that a woman is at the back of it all.....gingers evil the lot of them.

Where will it all end.

I think they should be shut down and the big boss should be held to account along with all under them!!!

bcsman
06-Jul-11, 07:59
a reporter for the news of the world,seems like a perfect job for you mi16.;)

What do we all make of this story that is unfolding in from of our eyes?
Hacking phones of murder victims families!!
Corrupt police force!!
And it seems that a woman is at the back of it all.....gingers evil the lot of them.

Where will it all end.

I think they should be shut down and the big boss should be held to account along with all under them!!!

scotsboy
06-Jul-11, 08:04
It seems the practice was ubiquitous, accepted and known about within the industry, which make Brooks response incongruous and deceitful.........she appears to have friends in high places.
Last night Jeff Randall ripped the NI representative (sent out as Brooks is currently camera shy) a new one. Quite why these people don't have the balls to admit their actions is beyond me.

mi16
06-Jul-11, 08:09
a reporter for the news of the world,seems like a perfect job for you mi16.;)

Perhaps you would be better suited to the sport eh!

bcsman
06-Jul-11, 08:13
i dont know,you seem to have the qualifications
Perhaps you would be better suited to the sport eh!

spurtle
06-Jul-11, 09:04
If people didn't want to know every detail of of people's live sthey wouldn't be doing it, not many were very bothered about hacking into famous people's phones and computers, but now we see it could happen to any one of us - at our most vulnerable moment.
Stop reading guff and vote with your feet.

Kenn
06-Jul-11, 11:29
The gutter press will always be full of rats, goes with the territory.
What I don't understand is the fact they seem to think the general public are obsessed with the private lives of others,
I've got better things to do than read such trivial rubbish.

Torvaig
06-Jul-11, 12:13
Lizz, the sad thing is much of the general public is obsessed with the private lives of others hence programs like... oh I can't remember any of their names offhand but you'll know what I mean; celebrities and politicians making utter fools of themselves for forty minutes of fame and we soak it up lasciviously.

The gutter press have always worked without scruples and will continue to do so no matter what price they have to pay.

And we are the ones who buy into their business..... it annoys me that I am writing about it now.....[evil]

Trajan
06-Jul-11, 13:59
Anyone who is involved with mr murdoch and co, is rotten to the core, mr murdoch bought the politicians and cops ages ago,and still does to this day,And they will never catch him,
we will see which of his minions takes the rap for this,, andy coulson who was mr g browns and davy camerons right hand man,, corrupt people at the heart of it all, what a fine country we all live in , where the most corrupt make it all the way to the top as a matter of course, i wondered why mr andy coulson was made to leave cameron and co,s possy so quickly last year,,

Trajan
06-Jul-11, 14:29
In September 2010, The Guardian revealed that, as part of the cross-party media committee investigating News of the World's phone-hacking (a report entitled 'Press Standards, Privacy and Libel'), Rebekah Brooks repeatedly chose not to attend to give evidence, resulting in four members of the committee "considering asking the sergeant at arms to issue a warrant forcing Brooks to attend," but subsequently dropped this proposal because it was alleged their private lives would be investigated if they did so.
Bear in mind mr murdoch has had every politician in his pocket at some time or other, we shall see where this goes in the next few months,, should be interesting,, lol

MrChow
06-Jul-11, 17:04
Good to see Ford, Mitsibushi, The Co-operative Group, Vauxhall, Lloyds TSB and Virgin suspend all advertising money towards the NOTW until an investigation has been completed.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ford-ad-boycott-over-phone-hack-claims-205032436.html

Tubthumper
06-Jul-11, 22:11
Never mind the advertisers, why on earth would anyone want to buy the NOTW?

And i'm watching with interest to see what happens in the Tommy Sheridan case. Can we believe anything these people have ever said?

ducati
07-Jul-11, 01:32
cos it's on the bottom shelf. (don't have to lift their knuckles so far).

Bill Fernie
07-Jul-11, 02:33
If you want to add your voice to a big protest about the take over of BskyB by News Corporation in the light of the unfolding scandals sign the petition thats growing fast here
http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?fp

Avaaz has had many successes recently so you never know. At least the government will take a much closer look at this deal.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jul-11, 02:58
Great piece from The Telegraph's Peter Oborne:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100095686/david-cameron-is-in-the-sewer-because-of-his-news-international-friends/

The government - not just the News Of The World - perennially hack us on a daily basis. Anyway, as sad and as sorry as this whole affair truly is, something tells me the NotW's circulation will only increase in light of this scandal. And more's the pity.

squidge
07-Jul-11, 06:38
I haven't bought the NOTW in years. It's a dreadful paper. However there is an argument that we get the media we deserve and the obsession with celebrity and our society's hunger for the 'gory detail' means that NOTW will continue.

scotsboy
07-Jul-11, 07:00
Great piece from The Telegraph's Peter Oborne:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100095686/david-cameron-is-in-the-sewer-because-of-his-news-international-friends/

The government - not just the News Of The World - perennially hack us on a daily basis. Anyway, as sad and as sorry as this whole affair truly is, something tells me the NotW's circulation will only increase in light of this scandal. And more's the pity.

So if the NOTW offered you a staff position tomorrow you would refuse?

mi16
07-Jul-11, 09:39
i dont know,you seem to have the qualifications

You certainly are one half of the sports most renound features!

Bazeye
07-Jul-11, 12:44
[QUOTE=spurtle;866861
Stop reading guff and vote with your feet.[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head.

Trajan
07-Jul-11, 13:34
How long before tommy sheridan is out of jail,, a week or a month.

nice linky bill,

bcsman
07-Jul-11, 16:36
Jings
lighten up bud :lol:

You certainly are one half of the sports most renound features!

NickInTheNorth
07-Jul-11, 16:47
Last NoW to be published on sunday!

Blazing Sporrans
07-Jul-11, 17:12
Last NoW to be published on sunday!Now THAT would be a day to celebrate :)Only got Heat, More, Closer and other magazines of that vacuous ilk that worship the cult of celebrity to go now...

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jul-11, 17:21
So if the NOTW offered you a staff position tomorrow you would refuse?

They won't be in a position to do so. Anyway...

The News of the World made a rod for their own backs. Not sorry to see it go, but certainly sorry for the honest, hard-working journalists, sub-editors, page-planners, columnists, etc., who will now lose their jobs due to events outwith their control. Of course, those who brought them into this mess won't struggle to pay their mortagages and feed their families.

Bazeye
07-Jul-11, 17:36
Dont count your chickens just yet. Whats the betting, sooner or later The Suns out on a Sunday.

Cinders392
07-Jul-11, 17:53
not long before the last issue of the paper is sold!

toffee_pie
07-Jul-11, 18:00
the worst thing about the uk is the amount of absolute drivel on the newsagents. (and on tv...pete whats his name on itv 3, lol!)

its awash with tabloid junk, celb cack and various other brain dead reading.

the guardian is one of the few decent papers in the whole of britain.

Crackeday
07-Jul-11, 18:15
The Sun on Sunday has been registered as a URL a couple of days ago, so NOTW will now be SOS How apt!!!!!!!

Kodiak
07-Jul-11, 18:18
Just been announced on the News that the "News of the World" is closing down and will NOT be published again after this Sunday.

Torvaig
07-Jul-11, 18:33
All they have to do is produce a similar styled paper and they will still be publishing with the same journalists, rubbish stories etc. Many people will still have to have their diet of titilation and it will be provided.

sandyr1
07-Jul-11, 19:12
Another one will take it's place....The Boss is not a stoopid man/ perhaps with an Internet Edition//payable of course!

scotsboy
07-Jul-11, 19:49
They won't be in a position to do so. Anyway...

The News of the World made a rod for their own backs. Not sorry to see it go, but certainly sorry for the honest, hard-working journalists, sub-editors, page-planners, columnists, etc., who will now lose their jobs due to events outwith their control. Of course, those who brought them into this mess won't struggle to pay their mortagages and feed their families.

So it would have been a YES then:-)

Terrible decision to close it down, just shows how mercenary those in control are.

John Little
07-Jul-11, 21:05
I have in my mind a copy of the News of the World from the first week of July 1916. The British army in the shape of a fist makes a dent in the Western front, which is in the shape of the Kaiser's face. The most popular read among British troops at the time.

I am not fond of the NOW and have not read a copy for years.

But pre Murdoch it had a solid constituency of readers, often, though not always working class, right wing and patriotic. It gave them a voice by reflecting news that they wished to read or agreed with.

I think that the Murdochs have perverted something into what it should not be. Something which served a purpose and could do so again - in allowing an outlet for right wing, and sometimes investigative dissent.

The arrogance of the Murdochs in closing it down is utter cynicism. That they have messed it up is one thing.

That they have not the grace to offer to sell it off is another.

I may not like it, but it is proper Vox Populi and it should not die but continue to serve its function.

weezer 316
07-Jul-11, 21:48
I must say well done Ed milliband for his points on this. The fact they are shutting it down solves nothing. The editor at the time still stays in her job! They need to fire her, the team that was around her at the time and make sure they are charged.

I wont be too sad to see the NOTW go though. Its an awful paper

NickInTheNorth
07-Jul-11, 21:57
Murdoch will publish something else equally trashy on a sunday within quite a short timescale. So the closure of the NoW is simply a smokescreen.

What is being hidden?

I would guess the culpability of Rebekah Brooks, and the Murdoch's themselves, with a view to trying to persuade their best mate Cameron that all is well at NewCorp and that they are "fit & proper" people to own the biggest broadcaster in the UK.

Will it work?

Doubtful, when something as pernicious as this is loosed it has a nasty tendency to run wild until the poison has all dissipated. One has only to look at the recent expenses scandal, once that was finally loosed it took on a life of it's own consuming the guilty at whim. I hope, and strongly believe, that this will mark a sea change in the ways of working of both the british media, and also hopefully british politicians, who have had far to cosy a relationship for far too long.

ducati
07-Jul-11, 22:02
Murdoch will publish something else equally trashy on a sunday within quite a short timescale. So the closure of the NoW is simply a smokescreen.

What is being hidden?

I would guess the culpability of Rebekah Brooks, and the Murdoch's themselves, with a view to trying to persuade their best mate Cameron that all is well at NewCorp and that they are "fit & proper" people to own the biggest broadcaster in the UK.

Will it work?

Doubtful, when something as pernicious as this is loosed it has a nasty tendency to run wild until the poison has all dissipated. One has only to look at the recent expenses scandal, once that was finally loosed it took on a life of it's own consuming the guilty at whim. I hope, and strongly believe, that this will mark a sea change in the ways of working of both the british media, and also hopefully british politicians, who have had far to cosy a relationship for far too long.

I agree, unfortunately politicians need to foster good relations with at least some media so as to get their views publicised with the (I was going to so right) correct slant. Otherwise they could never get the representation they need.

gleeber
07-Jul-11, 22:06
I have in my mind a copy of the News of the World from the first week of July 1916. The British army in the shape of a fist makes a dent in the Western front, which is in the shape of the Kaiser's face. The most popular read among British troops at the time.

I am not fond of the NOW and have not read a copy for years.

But pre Murdoch it had a solid constituency of readers, often, though not always working class, right wing and patriotic. It gave them a voice by reflecting news that they wished to read or agreed with.

I think that the Murdochs have perverted something into what it should not be. Something which served a purpose and could do so again - in allowing an outlet for right wing, and sometimes investigative dissent.

The arrogance of the Murdochs in closing it down is utter cynicism. That they have messed it up is one thing.

That they have not the grace to offer to sell it off is another.

I may not like it, but it is proper Vox Populi and it should not die but continue to serve its function.

Thats an interesting post and fills me in a bit on the history. 60 years ago my grandad got the Sunday post and the NOTW. I only ever bothered reading oor wullie and the broons, both in the post and it must have been 40 years before I saw another NOTW. I may have bought it a couple of times in my life and Im as working class as you get and some of me is even right wing. It's only in recent years that the media has become more engrained in our daily lives and very often the newspapers have been the news because of the limits they will go to to get a story with some meat on it. It's unbelievable the effect the media has on our thinking. They love this conflict although I wouldnt be surprised if there are more papers doing the same and are hoping their tracks are well covered. Watch them all putting the boot in. Its a bit like the org in full flow but they get paid for it.

oldmarine
08-Jul-11, 11:38
Murdoch scores again. The are becoming as infamous in the USA as he is in GB.

Trajan
08-Jul-11, 12:17
Its time to boycott sky tv and his other business interests,, cant stand the man or his son, a pair of beasts both of them. lets hope they get what they deserve.

John Little
08-Jul-11, 17:22
The notion that a newspaper boss has the right and the mandate to dictate what happens in Politics has a long pedigree in this family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Murdoch

Trouble is that it ain't true - such unaccountable power has no place in a Democracy.

I note that Murdoch senior got his grounding from Northcliffe who owned the Daily Mail and the Times. Northcliffe thought that he should dictate Conservative party policy. He died of syphilis in the 1920s. One of the symptoms of the tertiary stage of the disease is delusions of grandeur - a Napoleon complex would be typical of a victim.

Ironic really.

Bazeye
08-Jul-11, 17:57
Just got an e mail from one of my old schoolfriends who works for The Sun informing me that its now safe to use my mobile. And can I phone my mother, she's rang twice in the last week.

Corrie 3
08-Jul-11, 19:31
Thats an interesting post and fills me in a bit on the history. 60 years ago my grandad got the Sunday post and the NOTW. I only ever bothered reading oor wullie and the broons, both in the post and it must have been 40 years before I saw another NOTW. I may have bought it a couple of times in my life and Im as working class as you get and some of me is even right wing. It's only in recent years that the media has become more engrained in our daily lives and very often the newspapers have been the news because of the limits they will go to to get a story with some meat on it. It's unbelievable the effect the media has on our thinking. They love this conflict although I wouldnt be surprised if there are more papers doing the same and are hoping their tracks are well covered. Watch them all putting the boot in. Its a bit like the org in full flow but they get paid for it.
It was a very good paper for ripping up into 6 inch squares and using in the outside lavvy in the good old days before Andrex!!

C3.....:eek::roll:;)

golach
08-Jul-11, 19:45
It was a very good paper for ripping up into 6 inch squares and using in the outside lavvy in the good old days before Andrex!!

C3.....:eek::roll:;)
The Radio Times was a far better size for this purpose, I know!!!

Bazeye
09-Jul-11, 12:39
The Radio Times was a far better size for this purpose, I know!!!

Hope you removed the staples first.

gleeber
10-Jul-11, 14:34
I've never seen such a sanctimonious blurb coming from the NOTW. They created this news monster and fed it weekly to an admiring menagerie. Me too. I got one today in memory of my grandad.
It must be a bummer being caught with your toe in a mans mouth if your married to a Prince but surely their private lives should be private? On the other hand there's a fascination about the vices and vulnerabilities of the rich and famous. I suppose we can identify with the complexities of our own lives.
It must be awful though having peeps teeting out from behind walls and watching every move you make. Its nearly as bad as living in Thurso.