PDA

View Full Version : marine fish

craigsin1993
05-Jul-11, 18:46
im hoping to buy a marine fish tank sometime soon :)
does anyone know a good place to get 1?
also any advice would be great
many thanks x

Leanne
05-Jul-11, 19:39
I have one for sale - its in the pets classifieds. Full set up including MH light, RO/DI water, salt, fish, some corals, tank, stand plus loads more. Looking for £500.

Mystical Potato Head
09-Jul-11, 00:12
im hoping to buy a marine fish tank sometime soon :)
does anyone know a good place to get 1?
also any advice would be great
many thanks x

Avoid keeping Damsels,they're territorial little sods who generally stress out all the other fish by constantly nipping at their fins,although they are hardy,which makes them good starter fish
they resent any new fish you add to the tank.I had 4 blue damsels in a 5 ft reef tank when i first set it up and they fought amongst each other untill the weakest died from constant bullying,followed by the next weakest,i ended up with a pair that attempted to breed after a couple of years and no other fish could get near their half of the tank,even an Emperor Angel which was about 10 times the size. I was actually quite glad when the last one died after about 5 years and relative peace reigned for a while .Any new fish you add tend to get a bit of a hard time to start with,especially the same type but they usually,after a couple of weeks settle down and just end up squaring up to each other,do a bit of displaying and leave it at that. I've had Flame,Queen and Emperor angels together and once the initial squabbles were over there was never any problems.

Pulse and leather corals,there are loads of varieties, are the easist to keep.Some leathers grow quite quickly and you can actually use a razor blade to take "cuttings" from them like you would propogate a plant,took me a long time to build up the courage to do it though but its a good way to get free coral.

The bigger the tank you have,the earier it is to maintain good water quality,the larger volume of water being more stable tetmperature wise and the salinity levels dont change as quickly as your salt water evapourates.Downside is it costs a helluva lot more to fill with corals if you go down the reef tank route.