PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

Bazeye
05-Jul-11, 14:59
Anyone on here on it? Its amazing the amount of folk you dont know who want to be your friend isnt it.

RecQuery
05-Jul-11, 15:15
My rule is usually: If I haven't talked to you in at least the past 30 days or you're not a direct relation then I'm not adding you.

GetWithTheTimes
05-Jul-11, 15:19
as soon as i started to play the games i started getting lots of people trying to add me for the games

gleeber
05-Jul-11, 15:32
I'm on facebook but i don't use it. The software was designed to send out random invites to people who were on other friends lists. I'm not sure if that's still the case or if no one wants to be my friend anymore. :lol:

oldmarine
05-Jul-11, 15:35
I'm on facebook but i don't use it. The software was designed to send out random invites to people who were on other friends lists. I'm not sure if that's still the case or if no one wants to be my friend anymore. :lol:
I signed up for Facebook with many of my family members. However, when I discovered that too many other people I don't know can view my messagfes I quit using it. Don't miss it at all.

Bazeye
05-Jul-11, 17:38
I signed up for Facebook with many of my family members. However, when I discovered that too many other people I don't know can view my messagfes I quit using it. Don't miss it at all.

Cant you block people who arent your friends?

oldmarine
05-Jul-11, 19:01

Guess I don.t have the computer genius to know how to do that. It's easier to not use something I don't trust.

Walter Ego
05-Jul-11, 19:02
I've got an account but rarely go on there.

I have no friends:(

Fran
05-Jul-11, 19:02
Thanks to Facebook i have reunited a man with his five brothers and one sister and numerous n ephews and nieces

oldmarine
05-Jul-11, 19:03
Guess I don't have the computer genius to do that. It's easier to not use something I don't understand.

Tugmistress
05-Jul-11, 21:34
I use facebook, i quite like it, my profile is private for my personal page, and i found my best friend from school days and caught up with her and her family as i lost touch many years ago. there are some easy options to set your profile etc to private :)

Corrie 3
05-Jul-11, 21:55
I've got an account but rarely go on there.

I have no friends:(
Now thats not surprising is it Walter....nobody loves a nasty Man!! (or an Internet Troll!!!!).

C3......:roll::roll:

Rheghead
05-Jul-11, 22:50
Never even heard of this site until a month ago, is it new?

golach
05-Jul-11, 22:52
I think it is a childrens forum Rheg, never looked at it

shazzap
05-Jul-11, 22:54

I must be a very, very, big baby,:eek: then golach.:lol:

bluebell
05-Jul-11, 23:21
I got to get in touch with parents with the same rare syndrome as my child through FB so for this I'm very grateful & I have also got back in touch with some old school friends & even got to be friends with some really nice people from here on the ORG so for me it's a thumbs up........

Beat Bug
05-Jul-11, 23:43
I use facebook to keep in touch with friends and family. Also to share photos with them. I've set my profile so that it can only be viewed by my fb friends. So if someone invites me to be their friend (for whatever reason) unless it's someone I know, I ignore it! But I also have some Scrabble friends, people from around the world I've played games with. And some former work colleagues. I can also get o know what my kids are up to, as they don't always keep in touch by phone.

DR650
06-Jul-11, 00:27
Hey Bazeye do you have any friends ?

Bazeye
06-Jul-11, 01:20
Hey Bazeye do you have any friends ?

On fb or in real life?

FTOF.
06-Jul-11, 14:34
My wife met her ex- boyfriend on Facebook.......now he's not her ex-boyfriend anymore. :eek:

Invisible
06-Jul-11, 16:33
Facebook is a distraction from the real world. Why add people on facebook and share your private life with them. I only have a select few friends whom I would say hello to in the street. A few people have added me on facebook and totally blanked me in the pub or street.

shazzap
06-Jul-11, 16:54
Facebook is a distraction from the real world. Why add people on facebook and share your private life with them. I only have a select few friends whom I would say hello to in the street. A few people have added me on facebook and totally blanked me in the pub or street.

Maybe, thats because. You are ----------------Invisible. [lol]:lol::roll:

katarina
06-Jul-11, 18:19

Of course you can. And it doesn't take a genius. you just click on the button marked 'ignore' ot 'block this person' And as for any one seeing your private page, for goodness sake, there are security settings. Just click on Account, and follow instructions. There are several levels of security. I enjoy FB and i am not in the first flush of youth. I have made contact with several old friends I had lost touch with (better than Friends united), and keep up to date with anything my friends all over the world want to post. I can also share family photos with everyone at once rather than spending time sending them individually. Obviously if there's anything you want to keep hidden - you do not post it on face book!

NickInTheNorth
06-Jul-11, 18:29
being the worlds absolute worst at keeping in touch with people, hating the phone, despising sms texts, loathing writing letters and never sending cards facebook is the best thing that ever happened for me in terms of keeping in touch with friends from far away (and not so far too!).

I'm not too worried about who sees what I post on there, I'm pretty open about most things anyway. My privacy is set to "friends of friends" so not everyone can see what I post, but most can.

It's easy enough to either reject a friend request, or "unfriend" someone.

All in all I guess I have become a bit of a fan :)

ShelleyCowie
06-Jul-11, 21:23
Facebook rocks! I update regularly with photos of the kids for my in-laws to see because they dont live here. I have mine set to private (i think, must go check again!) so that only friends can see most things.

Also got to know a few good people from here on FB too! :)

cherokee
07-Jul-11, 19:43
Guess I don.t have the computer genius to know how to do that. It's easier to not use something I don't trust.

Yep, I'm with you oldmarine !! I just joined up, but absolutley hate it and don't trust it already !!!

oldmarine
08-Jul-11, 11:44
I use facebook, i quite like it, my profile is private for my personal page, and i found my best friend from school days and caught up with her and her family as i lost touch many years ago. there are some easy options to set your profile etc to private :)

It's good that you understand and enjoy Facebook. How could your friend find you if your profile is so private?

oldmarine
08-Jul-11, 11:46
I have read many complaints against Facebook for the way it is handled. Where it is popular with some, there are many others who avoid Facebook.

ShelleyCowie
08-Jul-11, 14:50
I have read many complaints against Facebook for the way it is handled. Where it is popular with some, there are many others who avoid Facebook.

I think facebook is an excellent idea of a social network if people dont abuse it. Basically, have your privacy settings up to date, change passwords regularly and for the love-o-scones dont click on links that are not secure! They are spam!

Also Oldmarine, if you want to find someone from the past you can use the search feature, you can view that persons name and profile picture, send a message and say who you are etc etc, then you can confirm friend requests if its the right person. :)

Walter Ego
08-Jul-11, 15:24
It's good that you understand and enjoy Facebook. How could your friend find you if your profile is so private?

As Shelley says, you can 'search' Face Book for names, but if the person you are searching for has restricted access (which anyone with half a brain on there should do) - then all you have is the facility to send a basic message to that person. If the recipient is happy to talk to you and allow you access to their pages then they will do that. If on the other hand, they want nothing to do with the message sender, they just ignore any messages from that sender or 'block' them completely.

It works quite well, but sometimes you do get 'friend' requests from people who you have never heard from...weird....

Never EVER have your page set for public viewing. Unless you like weirdos.

Corrie 3
08-Jul-11, 17:27
As Shelley says, you can 'search' Face Book for names, but if the person you are searching for has restricted access (which anyone with half a brain on there should do) - then all you have is the facility to send a basic message to that person. If the recipient is happy to talk to you and allow you access to their pages then they will do that. If on the other hand, they want nothing to do with the message sender, they just ignore any messages from that sender or 'block' them completely.

It works quite well, but sometimes you do get 'friend' requests from people who you have never heard from...weird....

How can you use Facebook Walter when you don't have any friends??? Do you send messages and photo's to yourself???

C3.........:roll:;):lol:

Bazeye
08-Jul-11, 17:50

Can be quite entertaining though.

teddybear1873
08-Jul-11, 17:50
I did listen on the news not that too long ago that Facebook are for the first time starting to lose numbers. Give it another year or so, some other computer boffin will come with an idea for a better social-network site.

Walter Ego
08-Jul-11, 18:57
How can you use Facebook Walter when you don't have any friends??? Do you send messages and photo's to yourself???

C3.........

You're right, C3PO. I don't get many friend requests.

But I get a lot of people wanting to be my enemy:eek:

Corrie 3
08-Jul-11, 19:19
You're right, C3PO. I don't get many friend requests.

But I get a lot of people wanting to be my enemy:eek:
Mmmm!! Cant think why Walter, you seem like a decent Chap to me!!

C3......:roll:;)

Walter Ego
09-Jul-11, 15:02
Mmmm!! Cant think why Walter, you seem like a decent Chap to me!!

I know, it's hard being misunderstood. If only people recognised me for the true genius that I am - then we would all get on much better.

Anyway, must dash - there's another angry mob coming up the hill from the village......

catran
09-Jul-11, 22:18
However it must be of interest to lots of authorities.....ie., all the full time yummy mummies at16 years old seem to hog the thing with their android and blackberry phones from their own council houses Makes one wonder what they teach at school, sex education????Language?????? or whatever and who pays for all these privileges the working man. Wonder if the police and the social have a trawl through? How the other half live eh???? Council houses,all new everything, prams ect, Weatherspoons for lunch and complaining cause they cannot drink whilst pregnant and cannot wait for baby to arrive so they can have a sesh.Depressing to say the least. No jobs so lets be a yummy mummie get money then and a house. One lives and learns so Facebook tells it all or is it all bravado???

Dadie
09-Jul-11, 22:48
darn I thought I was a yummy mummy but by your info im double the entry age, own our own home and work or get the childcare to go for a sesh or get wetherspoons for lunch everyday!

sweetpea
09-Jul-11, 22:59
However it must be of interest to lots of authorities.....ie., all the full time yummy mummies at16 years old seem to hog the thing with their android and blackberry phones from their own council houses Makes one wonder what they teach at school, sex education????Language?????? or whatever and who pays for all these privileges the working man. Wonder if the police and the social have a trawl through? How the other half live eh???? Council houses,all new everything, prams ect, Weatherspoons for lunch and complaining cause they cannot drink whilst pregnant and cannot wait for baby to arrive so they can have a sesh.Depressing to say the least. No jobs so lets be a yummy mummie get money then and a house. One lives and learns so Facebook tells it all or is it all bravado???

Funny you should say that. I met a young yummy mummy recently on the bus, got chatting and she said to me ' I'm not going to bother breast feeding', asked why not? said ' Well my mam said it's too much hassle and I won't be able to drink!' Well what can you say...

Dadie
09-Jul-11, 23:20
Well its a hassle at the start of breastfeeding getting the positioning right so you dont end up with sore nipples, but it takes out the hassle of faffing around with bottles and sterilising and yes you cant drink alcohol, but who would want to when looking after such a wee one....
A hangover and looking after a baby isnt good..a hangover and 3 kids with the eldest 5 is grim! And I breastfed all 3 till they reached their 1st birthday!
So no hangovers until they were over a year old!
Its a lifestyle choice and the amount of support they recieve from granny etc.....
Best to say nothing in those circumstances ....
Those that want to breastfeed can get the support they need if they look for it, but those that are happy to leave granny looking after the bairn while they realise being grown up isnt as good as its cracked up to be are best to be left alone to work it out until they need help while those that cant bf or dont want to but realise a baby is a 24/7/365 day commitment could actually do with a wee bit of help are left to suffer as they seem to cope well!

Bazeye
10-Jul-11, 00:46
Funny you should say that. I met a young yummy mummy recently on the bus, got chatting and she said to me ' I'm not going to bother breast feeding', asked why not? said ' Well my mam said it's too much hassle and I won't be able to drink!' Well what can you say...

What bus was she on, where did she get off and what's her name ?

Bazeye
10-Jul-11, 00:49
Well its a hassle at the start of breastfeeding getting the positioning right so you dont end up with sore nipples,!

Wimp. Try getting them pierced, now that does hurt. So Ive been told.

Walter Ego
10-Jul-11, 12:09

Catran, I don't think you've got the right handle with your description of a 'Yummy Mummy'.......

'Yummy Mummy' is a description of young, wealthy, educated (allegedly) and attractive mothers who insist upon being ultra trendy at all times. Not those who rely on Government handouts and dwell in social housing developments.*

Not exactly what you're describing.......

*Awaits outrage from those who are deluded and shallow enough to believe that they are a 'Yummy Mummy'.......

Corrie 3
10-Jul-11, 12:43
Catran, I don't think you've got the right handle with your description of a 'Yummy Mummy'.......

'Yummy Mummy' is a description of young, wealthy, educated (allegedly) and attractive mothers who insist upon being ultra trendy at all times. Not those who rely on Government handouts and dwell in social housing developments.*

Not exactly what you're describing.......
*Awaits outrage from those who are deluded and shallow enough to believe that they are a 'Yummy Mummy'.......
I thought it was one that tasted nice Walter. A bit like an ice cream with a flake in it!!

Walter Ego
10-Jul-11, 13:45
I thought it was one that tasted nice Walter. A bit like an ice cream with a flake in it!!

Now, we're skating on thin ice here C3PO..........;)

catran
10-Jul-11, 23:55
Och well I thought they were yummy mummies as they appear to have everything with the courtesey of the Government,16/17year olds leaving school pregnant straight to house all carpeted ect at the taxpayers expense whilst they float about at Weatherspoons, Chinky carryouts, Hairdressers for the blonde streaks at £40 a go, nails done at the beautician and of course not forgetting the waxing ,waiting impatiently for the baby to arrive so they can go out on the sesh. Just sounds so exciting??????and with all the F's and swear words well what can one say..Probably prospective grannie is out clubbing instead of knitting matinee jackets, as one said to my OH thats for 80 year olds so what like is the next generation going to be like if they are not made to be responsible, time the authorities caught up with them and Facebook is the first place to look before it is too late. Have they been educated, well yes, get pregnant, get house,get money, party what more can one ask

Bazeye
11-Jul-11, 00:52
Och well I thought they were yummy mummies as they appear to have everything with the courtesey of the Government,16/17year olds leaving school pregnant straight to house all carpeted ect at the taxpayers expense whilst they float about at Weatherspoons, k

And you think thats bad enough. Add to that the folk who have just arrived in this country and who are getting exactly the same.

panda
11-Jul-11, 08:25
this one i like i use facebook and talk to my neice in holland,friend in america and beleive it or not people in thurso and wick i would otherwise not see or hear from.its not all bad.

sheilapl
11-Jul-11, 22:15
I thought facebook was an excellent idea and still do to keep in touch with real friends. However some people have abused mine even when my privacy was set to "friends only" so only my list of friends can see it. I lost my job as a result of a private chat about my work place because one of my one of my friends in the work place, printed my chat page from Facebook and ran to our employers with it. This person is starting up a photographic business now so I hope she never does something as nasty to any of her clients.

Walter Ego
12-Jul-11, 06:59
Och well I thought they were yummy mummies as they appear to have everything with the courtesey of the Government,16/17year olds leaving school pregnant straight to house all carpeted ect at the taxpayers expense whilst they float about at Weatherspoons, Chinky carryouts, Hairdressers for the blonde streaks at £40 a go, nails done at the beautician and of course not forgetting the waxing ,waiting impatiently for the baby to arrive so they can go out on the sesh. Just sounds so exciting??????and with all the F's and swear words well what can one say..Probably prospective grannie is out clubbing instead of knitting matinee jackets, as one said to my OH thats for 80 year olds so what like is the next generation going to be like if they are not made to be responsible, time the authorities caught up with them and Facebook is the first place to look before it is too late. Have they been educated, well yes, get pregnant, get house,get money, party what more can one ask

Jealousy is a terrible thing......