PDA

View Full Version : Euromillions Jackpot is £154 million

Rheghead
03-Jul-11, 12:21
Is £154 million too obscene for one person to win or is it OK? How would it change you if you won it? Nobody could carry on as normal after winning that and if they would then what was the point in entering Euromillions in the first place?

If I win it then I'll never work any overtime again.

theone
03-Jul-11, 13:41
Is £154 million too obscene for one person to win or is it OK? How would it change you if you won it? Nobody could carry on as normal after winning that and if they would then what was the point in entering Euromillions in the first place?

If I win it then I'll never work any overtime again.

It is an awful lot of money.

But, if the game rules say that it can roll over to that amount, those who play it should have the chance to win.

I don't think you could carry on as normal with that amount, but I also wouldn't want to carry on as normal if I won!

People aren't forced to play, they choose to. If they win it, and don't want it, they can give it away. But why, as you say, are they playing it in the first place?

NickInTheNorth
03-Jul-11, 13:59
not obscene - perfectly OK for one person to win, however what they do with it could be obscene.

I would be essentially the same person that I am now if I won, yes I'd buy a decent house, and have some toys. I'd be starting several businesses locally, but would really not be looking at making a profit on them - kids play barn, sports and leisure facilities, that sort of thing.

I'd be contributing to charity in the same way I do currently, but might be able to give a little more in real terms.

My family would be taken care of, trust funds to provide for the kids education, and future housing needs - but they would not be made "wealthy".

As for the other £140 million or so, that I think would be used to setup a charitable foundation - particular interests would be child poverty and the global crisis facing the worlds oceans...

RecQuery
03-Jul-11, 14:22
Well you can either go the Michael Carroll route and act like an uncouth idiot or you could be sensible about it, it just depends on the person I suppose.

If I ever won or inherited money in the millions I'd like to keep it quiet, probably still do what I've been doing for the next few years while I think about it. I'd definitely draw up a will and put together a few trusts as soon as possible. Depending on the amount it would probably be best to invest 50% to 75% in something very low risk, keep the rest handy as liquid assets. I can't see myself buying overly expensive houses or cars or going on holidays, none of them have ever really held my interest. I'd probably take a bit off the top though and buy some luxury items. Apart from all that I'd probably either continue to work, do some volunteer stuff, become a professional student or maybe start a business in one of my areas of interest or do some local philanthropy.

I can't really see money changing me. I'd still hold the same opinions etc.

Rheghead
03-Jul-11, 14:34
I think you would have a job on your hands to keep a win like that a secret in Wick.

Walter Ego
03-Jul-11, 17:17

I can't really see money changing me. I'd still hold the same opinions etc.

Your opinions of those around you will be the same, I'm sure.

But just watch the opinions of those (apart from a small band of true friends) around you shift seismically.......

binnes
03-Jul-11, 20:04
It's funny cause I was only thinking about this subject yesterday and yes I did go out and buy a ticket but no, I didnt win! My thoughts were in direct comparison between the Lotto and the Euro lottery - I think £150 odd million vs £6m. Really and truly, it's an obscene amount of money to win, the Euro I am referring to, how could anybody actually use that sum of money unless of course you go and buy planes etc. Having said that, I would like to win it and then I would have great pleasure on blowing the majority on helping dogs in need.

Red
03-Jul-11, 20:26
I'd like to set up a foundation for homeless people (including children), to help them get training or whatever necessary to get back on their feet, to provide health services which are not limited because of some NHS budget, to genuinely give something back to the country. I'm making it sound overly-simplistic and there would be many potential pitfalls, but someday maybe...

starfish
03-Jul-11, 20:37
you would have to keep the real friends that are there when times have been rough. And any that become your best buddy when you got millions you will have to lose, as for micheal caroll he was a bit of a idiot believe every person was his best mate. most were just users, What the papers failed to tell everyone was the amount of money he give to the local boxing club and a special need school

Dadie
03-Jul-11, 20:53
I would show up at work and even ask for OT just to get you wondering if it was me or not.....
and think long and hard about what I want to do with the money and my life before making big changes.
Now if only I bought a ticket it would make winning it a lot easier:)

*Martin*
03-Jul-11, 22:26
I'd become batman...

Rheghead
03-Jul-11, 22:56
If I win that kind of money then I think having a little bit of time to reflect on the money would be a good thing. I'd certainly help out with Reay hall with a few things and the playpark at Beinn Ratha court needs doing up though I've heard it is earmarked for turning into a carpark. :(

Tugmistress
03-Jul-11, 23:27
If i won that sort of money the first thing i would do is buy and restore the JOG Hotel! put a manager in it i know is capable of running the place properly and then have a fortnight off work to think about things lol

bluechesse
04-Jul-11, 00:02
I would walk out of work the minute my win was confirmed, never to return. Then I would go directly to www.greatbigenormousunnecessaryboats.com (http://www.greatbigenormousunnecessaryboats.com) and buy a great big yatch. One with a helicopter. And I dont even like boats.

I would probably never ever look at Caithness.org ever again, as I would be too busy enjoying my winnings to take any interest in people moaning about how it's ridiculous that bluechesse has won such a huge sum of money.

Wouldn't matter if the whole of Caithness found out who I was, as I'd spend most of my time in nice sunny warm places, or snowboarding in Canada or Europe. I would come back regularly to see friends and family, but a few million should ensure that I could do so without even the most inquisitive orger finding out.

I would give some away to charity, and my immediate family would certainly be able to consider them selves very well off (particularly when they are on my yatch) but as for this staying at work, and having time to reflect mumbo jumbo, not for me! Far to busy enjoying it to take any reflection time!

In summary, the money would most definately change me. And I have already bought 4 lucky dips........

Kodiak
04-Jul-11, 00:11
One question Bluecheese.............What is a "Yatch"?

Bazeye
04-Jul-11, 02:12
I would walk out of work the minute my win was confirmed, never to return. Then I would go directly to www.greatbigenormousunnecessaryboats.com (http://www.greatbigenormousunnecessaryboats.com) and buy a great big yatch. One with a helicopter. And I dont even like boats.

I would probably never ever look at Caithness.org ever again, as I would be too busy enjoying my winnings to take any interest in people moaning about how it's ridiculous that bluechesse has won such a huge sum of money.

Wouldn't matter if the whole of Caithness found out who I was, as I'd spend most of my time in nice sunny warm places, or snowboarding in Canada or Europe. I would come back regularly to see friends and family, but a few million should ensure that I could do so without even the most inquisitive orger finding out.

I would give some away to charity, and my immediate family would certainly be able to consider them selves very well off (particularly when they are on my yatch) but as for this staying at work, and having time to reflect mumbo jumbo, not for me! Far to busy enjoying it to take any reflection time!

In summary, the money would most definately change me. And I have already bought 4 lucky dips........

Hi blue chesse, so I suppose if I get a reply , you got 4 unlucky dips. if you do win and dont bother with the org anymore , if you grt a bit bored and want some company pm me.

Phill
05-Jul-11, 00:12
One question Bluecheese.............What is a "Yatch"?It's a big bo'at with a helicerchopter on! (kindca like a yacht but wiv go faster stripes)

I think you would have a job on your hands to keep a win like that a secret in Wick.I did, but then it was only a tenner.

dafi
05-Jul-11, 01:23
They say it wont bring happyness...........bollocks!!!

Phill
05-Jul-11, 09:08
Even if it doesn't bring happiness, I'll have a better a better style of miserableness on my Gulstream jet.

bluechesse
05-Jul-11, 22:57
One question Bluecheese.............What is a "Yatch"?

. Clearly it was meant to say yat yahc tacy yacht. I thought the boat reference might have given it away…..
Anyway, apologies for the confusion this may have caused, I was practicing my champagne drinking when I wrote that. Millionaires need to be able to handle their champagne you know! Fortunately there is no requirement to be able to spell properly…….
Tonight I am practicing disregarding those not as well off as my self, and tomorrow I will be learning how to speak to a butler in the appropriate commanding tone, but without sounding unpleasant. Turns out theres a lot more to being a millionaire than I first though!

bluechesse
05-Jul-11, 22:59
Hmm. Are you any good at polo? I think i shall need a polo partner if your interested?

porshiepoo
06-Jul-11, 07:06
I can't even imagine what having that kind of pocket money would be like.
As for what I'd do with it: Give a fair whack to our families first off, completely gut this land and spend a small fortune on landscaping it, offer the farmer a ridiculous sum for the back field so I could have horses, make a massive difference to certain animal charities and buy essential equipment for certain human charities, buy somewhere abroad and then finally run out of things to spend it on. Oh and of course I'd want a Discovery as I miss our old one and a Maserati to pose around in - though the thought of posing in a car in Wick is a tad far fetched huh!

Sure there's loads more to do with it though.
Wouldn't it be good though to have the opportunity to do something like the TV show 'The secret Millionaire'? Help out a family or individual or business to really make a difference to their future.

Won't happen for me though as a fortune teller told me years ago that I'll not win the lottery! Which I won't cos I don't do it cos a fortune teller told me I won't win it!!! How clever of her. lol.

NickInTheNorth
06-Jul-11, 12:32
Oh well, looks like I'll just have to put up with winning £166 million on Friday instead ;)

Phill
06-Jul-11, 21:57
Oh well, looks like I'll just have to put up with winning £166 million on Friday instead Cool!

http://www.supersonic-business-jet.com/_Media/gulfstream_g650-2-3.jpeg
Private Jet: £40 Million

http://services.sothebyshomes.com/photos/detail/0017180-3.jpg
Apartment overlooking Central Park: £27 Million

http://oceanshaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/helicopter-and-superyacht.jpg
Superyacht & Helicopter: £80 Million

And change!!

bluechesse
06-Jul-11, 22:16
Cool!

Private Jet: £40 Million

Apartment overlooking Central Park: £27 Million

http://oceanshaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/helicopter-and-superyacht.jpg
Superyacht & Helicopter: £80 Million

And change!!Thats it! Thats it! Thats my Yatch! I cant wait for Friday now!