PDA

View Full Version : What are the requirements?

noswebservices
03-Jul-11, 11:11
Can anybody on the org please tell me what the requirements are for using your own car to sit your driving test i.e. does it just have to be insured and mot or do you require more visible L plates or the mirrors that clip onto your side mirrors any help greatly appreciated

theone
03-Jul-11, 11:20
Can anybody on the org please tell me what the requirements are for using your own car to sit your driving test i.e. does it just have to be insured and mot or do you require more visible L plates or the mirrors that clip onto your side mirrors any help greatly appreciated

Insured, taxed, MOT'd and 'L' plates.

Or at least it used to be...........

EDIT:

Looks like you need a rearview mirror for the examiner too.......

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/PracticalTest/DG_4022543

Category B - cars and vans

The car or van you use for your test must be:

a four-wheeled vehicle of no more than 3,500 kilograms (kg) maximum authorised mass (MAM)
capable of a speed of at least 62.5 miles per hour (mph) or 100 kilometres per hour (km/h)
fitted with a speedometer that measures speed in mph
displaying L-plates ('L' or 'D' plates in Wales) on the front and rear, but not interfering with the driver's or examiner's view
a smoke-free environment
The vehicle must also be fitted with:

a seatbelt for the examiner
a passenger head restraint – it doesn’t need to be adjustable, but must be an integral part of the seat - 'slip on' types aren't allowed
an interior mirror for the examiner's use
The vehicle must be legal and roadworthy and have no warning lights showing - for example, the airbag warning light.

lasher
03-Jul-11, 12:00
Can anybody on the org please tell me what the requirements are for using your own car to sit your driving test i.e. does it just have to be insured and mot or do you require more visible L plates or the mirrors that clip onto your side mirrors any help greatly appreciated Are you thick or something, honestly asking if car needs an mot and insurance!

linnie612
03-Jul-11, 13:10
Are you thick or something, honestly asking if car needs an mot and insurance!

How juvenile! If you had read the question correctly you would have realised 'noswebservices' was asking if they needed anything additional to the obvious. However, I suspect you are not looking to help someone, as on the previous thread about smoking I was just reading you have suggested that someone should go back where they came from! Ugly character trait. I can only assume your postings are intended to get a reaction. ( I have seen your 'helpful' advice on other threads at various times), well you have from me.

northener
03-Jul-11, 13:11

Standard 'L' plates front and rear. Additional interior mirror for the Driving Examiner and no requirement for any 'extra' mirrors on the side mirrors.

Although not in itself illegal, if you have one of those seat covers for your passengers what is meant to 'massage' any back problem - in other words, the wooden bead seat covers - take them off. The examiner is within his rights to refuse to test if he/she is not happy about sitting on them. It has happened in the past, but not up here as far as I know.

Any queries, just PM me.

cherokee
03-Jul-11, 14:42
Are you thick or something, honestly asking if car needs an mot and insurance!

Completely agree with linnie612 !!

Your comment, lasher, was extremely ignorant.....it really just goes to show who the "thick" person is and it certainly isn't the OP........ !! :mad:

lasher
03-Jul-11, 15:30
Completely agree with linnie612 !!Your comment, lasher, was extremely ignorant.....it really just goes to show who the "thick" person is and it certainly isn't the OP........ !! :mad:Didnt read it right, my mistake.

Beat Bug
03-Jul-11, 17:40
Way back in the "olden days" when hubby was taking his driving test, he had his own car. On the day of the test, his older brother went with him to drop the car off in the test centre's car park. Hubby then went into the building to pick up his examiner. In the car park, the examiner refused to get into the car, and immediately issued a failure certificate. The reason? It was on test centre's property, so examiner wasn't allowed to get into the car, and hubby, being a learner, wasn't allowed to drive it onto the road! Jobsworth!!

oldmarine
03-Jul-11, 17:47
Interesting comments on this thread. Made me check on my cars to make certain everything was correct. Thank you folks.