PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

Mandy
04-Nov-04, 12:12
I'm thinking of buying a digital camera, and wondered if anyone could offer any advice? I'm looking for a camera that's easy to use, and takes good quality pictures, with an option to use external memory cards to store more pictures.

Has anyone ever bought a Novatech camera? I've been looking at a 5 mega pxel camera, which looks quite good, but just wondered if anyone has used this make before?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :D

angemonster
04-Nov-04, 12:24
Haven't used this type of camera mandy but I have a sony which seems to have all of the requirements that you are looking for. I will find out the full name and get this to you. I know that this camera was also very well priced and easy to get extra memory sticks.

Arrowsmith
04-Nov-04, 12:25
Hi Mandy....go for the novatech camera...I don't think you'll find a better deal on the net :)

Riffman
04-Nov-04, 14:49
I use an Olympus Digital camera, I used to think that they were rubbish until I got this one, 3.1 MP(like you are ever going to need 5!!) 3x optical zoom (and 10x digital, but dont use) mives with sound, and up 512 mb super fast XD cards.

Most camera above 3 mp that are moderately priced use interpolation to get resolutions like 5 mp, so it is not a true figure. 3mp will allow bigger than A4 in perfect quality. To compare it to a normal 200ASA film, which has a resolution of 2.2mp, it is much better.

Memory cards can be bought very cheaply here: www.cartex.co.uk that is where I got mine from and I saved nearly £10!

The model is an Olympus C-360.

Hope thats some help,

Riff

ATHRoss
04-Nov-04, 15:20
Many digital camera suppliers do manufacture and sell cameras that enjoy 'true' 5 mega-pixel resolution (including Sony, Fuji, Canon, Olympus etc).

However Riffman is correct, 3 MP is perfectly adequate for decent pictures upto A4, I have printed many 3 MP images at A4 (taken with a Fuji S304) to my satisfaction including the one below;

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/7242/dunbeath_castle_imageshack.jpg

But with almost everything in life nowadays, bigger numbers seem to iimply better quality which is not always the case. I myself have recently upgraded to a 5MP Canon A95 and I am absolutley delighted with the quality of images produced including these two;

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/5030/IMG_0191_cropped1.jpg

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/4355/IMG_0450_fixed_border.jpg

What is your budget here as this can be very important?

I would recommend any of the Canon A - series from the 3mp A75 (£155) up to the 5 mp A95 (£239) but I am sure that any camera from one of the main brand suppliers will be fine.

Hope this helps a little.

ATHRoss

Mandy
04-Nov-04, 15:40
Thanks a lot for your help guys. Those pictures are so amazing! :D

I've decided - I REALLY want a digital camera now!

tip top
04-Nov-04, 16:05
you'll need really thick glass on the lens if you are taking photos of leith based football players :(

heh heh heh

Naefearjustbeer
04-Nov-04, 17:20
Get one that uses AA or AAA batteries that way you can use cheap NiMh batteries, I bought mine from www.7dayshop.com (also good for extra memory cards). A camera that uses its own type of battery pack is a pest because you have to recharge and cant continue shooting once it is flat, also extra battery packs are normally expensive.
Check out the price of extra memory cards before you buy as most cameras only come with a 16Mb card. this will soon fill up with higher resolution pics, Also if you are looking at a zoom model optical zoom is what you want digital zoom isnt much good.
I have been more than happy with my fuji camera and they seem to be quite reasoably priced.

George Brims
04-Nov-04, 20:45
To compare it to a normal 200ASA film, which has a resolution of 2.2mp, it is much better.

Actually a typical modern 35mm colour print film has a resolution approaching 25 to 30 Megapixels. Digital cameras just aren't there yet. However up to 8 by 10 size, 3 Megapixels will indeed do just fine. If you want to blow up any further than that you need the 5+ Megapixel ones.

Another important thing to look for selecting a digital camera is the zoom range (assuming you don't go to the digital SLRs with interchangeable lenses but that gets really expensive). Many compact digital cameras have little or no ability to zoom optically, so they zoom digitally. Or to put it another way, they throw away a lot of those nice Megapixels you paid for and just use the ones in the middle! If possible go to a camera shop and check both the range of zoom and the ultimate wide angle ability. The digital camera I've used most, a Sony, doesn't give you a very wide angle at that end of the range. Of course with digital you can stitch multiple pictures together in your computer to make a panoramic view when your subject is big.

Riffman
04-Nov-04, 20:51
I agree that 35mm can have very high res, what I meant was that if you scanned in 35mm to make it suitable for digital use, then it is lower. I take slides with my SLR and you can get some incredible pictures!!

Riff

George Brims
05-Nov-04, 01:09
Aye a really good scanner can get a lot of resolution out of a negative or a slide, but they cost a lot. Scanning with an attachment on an ordinary flatbed scanner doesn't give such good results. I keep an eye on eBay for someone selling a good one at an affordable price.

Greenrunner
05-Nov-04, 02:06
One thing to keep in mind. No matter how many Megapixels, its the quality of the lens that matters. If the 'real' image is scrap! trillions of pixels wont help. Most 3 - 4 Mpix cameras are good onough for most of us

Chick
05-Nov-04, 14:33
where hav u tried for a camera? :Razz

MadPict
05-Nov-04, 22:18
Of all the pictures you could have shown of Wick you chose the ruddy roundabout!!! [lol]

A good place to read up on digital cameras is www.dpreview.com - it is actually a UK site run by a Brit so don't be put off by the constant display of $$'s

I recently upgraded to a Nikon D70 from an Olympus C-700UZ - no more shutter lag, slow autofocus, big gap between shots.

DM
05-Nov-04, 22:55
I got a canon A75, couldn't be happier, and it was less than £150........much better than the £100 2.1MP camera I had before that and plenty of features for the novice.