PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Groats Tonight

JockCroft
01-Jul-11, 22:15
Was at Groats for a run tonight!
Don't know if I was halucinating, hadn't had a drink.

It's unbeleivable whats been done to a sad old building.
Think it would have looked better left alone.

brandy
01-Jul-11, 22:27
i have seen the pics though.. and while a bit on the strange side.. ok a lot on the weird side.. they are only temporary.. and the whole hotel and later area is being redeveloped. i hope to see the hotel brought back to what it would have once been.. its a good attention grabber and pulls people in.. so doing what it is suppose to do.. and as its only temp. no harm done *G*

northener
02-Jul-11, 08:12
Was at Groats for a run tonight!
Don't know if I was halucinating, hadn't had a drink.

It's unbeleivable whats been done to a sad old building.
Think it would have looked better left alone.

Looks brilliant. Good promotion for the redevelopment.

annemarie482
02-Jul-11, 09:33
i'm not a fan..... poor hotel!
looks like the locals got bored after a bevvy and had some fun with spray cans.... :(
glad its not permanent!!

sids
02-Jul-11, 09:36
This is when the redevelopment runs out of money and it stays in a mess.

DM
03-Jul-11, 01:06
Thought it looked brilliant and very provocative.....needs something dramatic for the end of the country.

Personally I'd prefer to get to somewhere where there's nothing!

Gleber2
03-Jul-11, 02:20
Like the real Last House and most northernly point at Dunnet Head.

Metalattakk
03-Jul-11, 03:09
Looks brilliant. Good promotion for the redevelopment.

Thought it looked brilliant and very provocative.....needs something dramatic for the end of the country.

The wife was out there this afternoon. She was flabbergasted at what they've done, and wondered what impact it would have on visitors to JoG during the time it's there. She wasn't at all appreciative. Going by the photos alone, Id have to agree.

Aye, we all know there's nothing of much note at the end of Dunnet head. Unless you've got your subterranean vegetable patch going again, of course. I think there might be some official interest if that were the case. ;)

northener
03-Jul-11, 09:15
Like the real Last House and most Northernly point at Dunnet Head.

The fact that Dunnet Head is the most Northerly point has never been disputed, JOG is the traditional finishing point the same as Lands End is the traditional starting point - not the most Southerly. That would be the Lizard.

northener
03-Jul-11, 09:20
The wife was out there this afternoon. She was flabbergasted at what they've done, and wondered what impact it would have on visitors to JoG during the time it's there. She wasn't at all appreciative. Going by the photos alone, Id have to agree.

Sorry MA, I was up there yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours and the feedback from visitors was very positive. Lets face it, tarting up a building as a promotion before someone takes a big sledgehammer to it is hardly a bad thing - it certainly looks better than the derelict background that was in most people's photies beforehand.

And it's certainly got people talking. Job done.

Torvaig
03-Jul-11, 09:56
If the art work had been done years ago when the building was abandoned, there would have been many more visitors coming just to see this colourful scene!

I too think it is a disgrace that the hotel was allowed to get in such a state and it certainly put off many visitors, the locals among them. To let such a beautiful building go to ruin is a crime..... many thousands are spent on futile schemes just because there are grants available and then it all goes to pot and is abandoned when the cash runs out.

Torvaig
03-Jul-11, 10:27

Shhhh.... Gleber2; places like Dunnet Head have the tranquility, beauty and remoteness that makes it the best!

The ugliness of places which have been "developed" for tourism spoils the very essence of their natural beauty and turned them into showy playgrounds. The intention with John O'Groats is to wheel in the tourists, grab their money, charge them for getting their pictures taken and become just like any other "tourist attraction"..

The very things that makes a place attractive to tourists is soon eradicated in the race to become profitable and "fun".

Long live the oasis like Dunnet Head etc.

Kodiak
03-Jul-11, 11:06
I was at John O'Groats yesterday and for all of you who have not seen what they have painted, here are 3 Photo's.

http://i.imgur.com/mS8Qy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j1BjN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M1Zlr.jpg

gleeber
03-Jul-11, 14:37
My initial reaction was it looks good and well done to those who got it together. However, I've just been talking to someone who told me a story about the funding of this project. If the story is true and I have no reason to dispute my friends information then something smells. He told me the overall cost of the project was £250,000 (quarter a million) with 2 of the artists receiving generous fees of £20,000 each. :eek:
I really do hope someone will come on and tell me my information is duff and if that's the case I will apoligise. But if my information is right then hows about some justification for Highlands and Islands Enterprise being so generous with public money.

Torvaig
03-Jul-11, 16:11
It would not surprise me in the slightest Gleeber; there is often money available for the obscure.

Walter Ego
03-Jul-11, 17:06
My initial reaction was it looks good and well done to those who got it together. However, I've just been talking to someone who told me a story about the funding of this project. If the story is true and I have no reason to dispute my friends information then something smells. He told me the overall cost of the project was £250,000 (quarter a million) with 2 of the artists receiving generous fees of £20,000 each. :eek:
I really do hope someone will come on and tell me my information is duff and if that's the case I will apoligise. But if my information is right then hows about some justification for Highlands and Islands Enterprise being so generous with public money.

Seeing as it is you that has posted up the accusation from a 'friend', I would say the onus is on you to prove your allegation.

No one has to provide a defence if you cannot prove your sources.

Walter Ego
03-Jul-11, 17:09
And, sad to say Torvaig, the readiness of people on here to take online unsubstantiated gossip as facts is very saddening.

John Little
03-Jul-11, 17:28
"No one has to provide a defence if you cannot prove your sources."

Walter this is so spot on that I wish you'd repeat it on the extreme weather thread! The word 'prove' has great relevance there.

J

onecalledk
03-Jul-11, 18:31
We were out at John o Groats on monday afternoon and spoke to one of the artists who was at that point only starting his creation. Its funded by lottery money .

K

Green Lady
03-Jul-11, 22:24
I believe it was part funded by Case and the Leader fund.I was told £50,000-00 from Case and £58,000-00 from Leader, still a massive £108,000-00, were the benefits to JOG( if there were any!) worth that amount of money?

Dadie
03-Jul-11, 22:32
I quite like the squares..
Not to much liking the pink and the harequin effect bits.
But its a bit more cheery than the neglectful appearance of the old hotel as the moment (which would look splendid restored) but I wish something permanent would be done to the hotel to bring it back to life!

catran
03-Jul-11, 22:32
i'm not a fan..... poor hotel!
looks like the locals got bored after a bevvy and had some fun with spray cans.... :(
glad its not permanent!!
#

Yip that is exactly what it looks like, if that is modern art, well what can one say, I rather think they should have left well alone until it was done up

catran
03-Jul-11, 22:39
What an eyesore, how on earth did it cost so much? Was it that cowboys who were painting the roofs and ripping the wifies off that did it????

Koi
03-Jul-11, 22:44
I quite like the squares..
Not to much liking the pink and the harequin effect bits.
But its a bit more cheery than the neglectful appearance of the old hotel as the moment (which would look splendid restored) but I wish something permanent would be done to the hotel to bring it back to life!

I quite like the red and white also. If they kept it like that the whole way around it would look really smart and would certainly stand out for the right reasons.

binnes
03-Jul-11, 22:57
Dear oh dear...wheres the shake your head smiley?

Dr Evil
03-Jul-11, 23:20
I went a look to see the hotel this afternoon and I thought that it looked great, better than an old derelict building, but I guess some people just don't like change! Each to their own I suppose.

Tugmistress
03-Jul-11, 23:24
It's different! In one respect i don't like it because it's out of kilter with the whole area, but on the other hand it's growing on me because it's different and daring lolhttp://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/261523_240272159335327_100000576340844_922316_6889 798_n.jpg

Bazeye
04-Jul-11, 02:52
If you like it or not, at least its getting talked about, which is more than it was before. Could have Banksy for the prices being banded about though.

northener
04-Jul-11, 07:33
If you like it or not, at least its getting talked about, which is more than it was before..............

Yup. It's certainly worked.

But what always amazes me when threads about JOG get started is the level of ignorance displayed by some of it's detractors. Quick to complain - but slow to actually get their facts straight.

Torvaig
04-Jul-11, 10:17
And, sad to say Torvaig, the readiness of people on here to take online unsubstantiated gossip as facts is very saddening.

I get what you mean W.E., and with at least three posts regarding the funding of this project we can't take any of them as the facts; rather like any reports in any media. Let's hope that eventually the hotel will do its Phoenix impression and be a noted landmark once again and something we can all be proud of that will produce some much needed business in Caithness.

Seems a shame though that we have to tart up places of note to attract the the tourists. Thank goodness we still have some quiet, natural places for us locals to recharge our batteries!

bekisman
04-Jul-11, 10:22
Nipped via JOG yesterday, must admit, it catches the eye, I actually liked the "are we there yet" quote.. It's an improvement on the degradation of the old building, which must be a good thing, and it's putting JOG into the news

cemmts
04-Jul-11, 13:34
I like most of it but stuggle to see why it included drawings of children with antlers and AK47 assault rifles.

northener
04-Jul-11, 18:32
I like most of it but stuggle to see why it included drawings of children with antlers and AK47 assault rifles.

I believe part of the brief was to include portrayals of local children taking part in their favourite pastimes.......:Razz

neepnipper
04-Jul-11, 21:54
I think it looks terrible, a beautiful, historic building defaced, makes me feel quite sick looking at it.

Would of thought the money (however much it was) would of been better spent on starting to renovate it, then at least, tourists this season would be able to see that things are improving in John O'Groats and may be encouraged to return in the future.

Poor sad, old building, I can almost hear it weeping.

sandyr1
04-Jul-11, 22:22
[QUOTE=Tugmistress;866129]It's different! In one respect i don't like it because it's out of kilter with the whole area, but on the other hand it's growing on

Cheeze Whizzzzzzzzzzzz

silversurfer
04-Jul-11, 22:34
It has been interesting reading this thread - everyone is entitled to their opinions - respect that.

Visited Groats yesterday - it was positively buzzing - could hardly get parked. Is this not what we want?

Remember, it is only temporary before the work proper starts on the building.

And don't forget what it used to look like - is this the image you want so many people to take away? I hope not. But there you go.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/grantcoghill/JohnOGroatshotelMay2011.jpg

sandyr1
04-Jul-11, 22:37
It has been interesting reading this thread - everyone is entitled to their opinions - respect that.

Visited Groats yesterday - it was positively buzzing - could hardly get parked. Is this not what we want?

And don't forget what it used to look like - is this the image you want so many people to take away? I hope not. But there you go.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/grantcoghill/JohnOGroatshotelMay2011.jpg
Does look a wee bitty Stark!

Moira
04-Jul-11, 22:53

That's actually a fab photo, thanks for posting it. I'm all for encouraging the visitors to our great county. :D

Margaret M.
05-Jul-11, 14:07
I cannot imagine the hotel not being a roaring success once it is restored. What a treat it will be to have a meal there enjoying that fabulous view.

Duncansby
05-Jul-11, 14:43
The money spent on the weekend was £108,000 - £50,000 came from HIE and £58,000 from Highland LEADER. It was in an HIE press release and reported in the Groat at the end of June.

I am really disappointed with the hotel's new look, I don't see what it has to do with John O'Groats. I was expecting something a little more forward looking rather than harking back to the artists concept of their own childhoods. It just all looks quite random and I hope to goodness that the start of the work is not put off cos I don't want to have to look at that every time I go down to the harbour for the foreseeable future!

toffee_pie
05-Jul-11, 15:24
I am Irish and work up here, frankly that is an embarrassment.

Picture someone driving 10 hours or so to get here and be confronted with a monstrosity of a building painted by skangers with spray cans and cider.

Fail!

gleeber
05-Jul-11, 15:27
He told me the overall cost of the project was £250,000 (quarter a million) with 2 of the artists receiving generous fees of £20,000 each. :eek:
It's reminded of how easily I can be influenced

Seeing as it is you that has posted up the accusation from a 'friend', I would say the onus is on you to prove your allegation.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with real people! There's often an agenda! It becomes more transparent in internet forums because people don't hold the same respect towards one another. Much of what is blurted out in here says more about the person than the subject they are talking about.
I joined the real world for a few minutes and got stupid. I take exception at being lambasted by a whippersnapper with the communication skills of a virgin in a brothel. but I have to take it on the chin because he's right. I blurted out something without thinking. My friend may have had agendas when he was telling me about the figures although that being said someones paying for it and its likely to have cost a few bob. The truth is I wasnt interested in the figures or fees before he blurted it out. Once he did I was hooked and I apoligise for getting real for a few minutes and joining the world of normal alter egos.
I now know the real figures but I couldnt give a hoot anymore. What a difference a day makes.

But what always amazes me when threads about JOG get started is the level of ignorance displayed by some of it's detractors. Quick to complain - but slow to actually get their facts straight.
As a matter of interest do you really mean ignorance or did you just blurt out a word that fitted how you felt? I can only presume your post was aimed at me, certainly it would include me. It's interesting how easily we can transmit our own feelings over the internet. I dont accept your criticism. We are all capable of stupidity.

Walter Ego
05-Jul-11, 15:42
Sometimes I wonder why I bother with real people! There's often an agenda! It becomes more transparent in internet forums because people don't hold the same respect towards one another. Much of what is blurted out in here says more about the person than the subject they are talking about.
I joined the real world for a few minutes and got stupid. I take exception at being lambasted by a whippersnapper with the communication skills of a virgin in a brothel. but I have to take it on the chin because he's right. I blurted out something without thinking. My friend may have had agendas when he was telling me about the figures although that being said someones paying for it and its likely to have cost a few bob. The truth is I wasnt interested in the figures or fees before he blurted it out. Once he did I was hooked and I apoligise for getting real for a few minutes and joining the world of normal alter egos.
I now know the real figures but I couldnt give a hoot anymore. What a difference a day makes.

Oh, for crying out loud. If someone comes up with hard figures or something they promote as fact and then someone else disagrees with them, the onus is on the person making the original statement to verify the figures. That's how it works in the 'real world', it works in business, science and everywhere else for that matter. It wasn't meant to be some sort of personal 'attack', I'd expect a more balanced response from you.

gleeber
05-Jul-11, 15:46
Oh, for crying out loud. If someone comes up with hard figures or something they promote as fact and then someone else disagrees with them, the onus is on the person making the original statement to verify the figures. That's how it works in the 'real world', it works in business, science and everywhere else for that matter. It wasn't meant to be some sort of personal 'attack', I'd expect a more balanced response from you.
Yours was as expected.

Margaret M.
05-Jul-11, 17:49

Gleeber clearly stated that he did not know if it was a fact. What on earth is wrong with sharing info one hears and asking for verification? I rarely hear rude, curt responses in conversation yet it seems to be the norm in written responses here.

Walter Ego
05-Jul-11, 18:55
Gleeber clearly stated that he did not know if it was a fact. What on earth is wrong with sharing info one hears and asking for verification? I rarely hear rude, curt responses in conversation yet it seems to be the norm in written responses here.

Please note the bit of Gleebers post I have highlighted and then read my response below that:

Now, is that clear enough?

I make no apologies as to how I post on here. If people so fragile that they will take umbrage when I question their figures - then that is their concern not mine. And yes, if someone came out with figures in a face to face meeting and I disagreed with them - I would use the 'put up or shut up' approach. It's what I do in business and it's how most other rational people work too.

Unfortunately if this place is nothing more than a backslapping shop for sychophants and the fragile minded, then there is nothing I can do about that. All I can suggest is that people put me me on 'ignore' - because I certainly aren't changing my tune just because I've ruffled a few feathers.

craigsin1993
05-Jul-11, 18:56
neepnaip clear ur inbox i need 2 message u lol

Fran
05-Jul-11, 18:59
iTS NICE BUT A COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY. iT WOULD HAVE LOOKED BETTER IF THE WHOLE BUILDING HAD BEEN PAINTED WHITE.

Kells
06-Jul-11, 12:00
A pathetic example of contemporary art and not even an original idea. Why give the work to outside artists when there are so many young, talented and just as qualified artists in the county?

northener
06-Jul-11, 14:01

As a matter of interest do you really mean ignorance or did you just blurt out a word that fitted how you felt? I can only presume your post was aimed at me, certainly it would include me. It's interesting how easily we can transmit our own feelings over the internet. I dont accept your criticism. We are all capable of stupidity.

Nope, I definitely meant ignorance.

If you assume the post was aimed at you, Gleeber - then that is not my problem. But to clarify the matter, it wasn't. The comment was aimed at JOG's detractors who are very quick to criticise the place, but who will also quite happily remain ignorant as to what is actually happening. Or in other words the usual on line moaners who are quick to criticise anyone and anything who tries to make an effort and unfortunately doesn't fit in exactly with the critics narrow mindset on the subject. Constructive criticism is one thing...parochial whingeing is another matter entirely.

You've only got to look back at many threads on here over the years where the idiots come out of the woodwork just to rip something to shreds and then disappear again.
Maybe that's why I can't be arsed to post on here much these days. With the exception of some notable posters it seems to be nothing more than a meeting place for the incredibly easily offended, those who get off on picking on genuinely innocent posts (only to run off with their tail between their legs when it backfires) and the blinkered inept.[disgust]

[Gurn over - off back in my wheeliebin now].

katarina
06-Jul-11, 18:05
Well i think, although it looks wild, it's 100 per cent better than it was. A splash of brilliant colour against an otherwise bleak grey nothingness.

Metalattakk
06-Jul-11, 22:45
Well i think, although it looks wild, it's 100 per cent better than it was. A splash of brilliant colour against an otherwise bleak grey nothingness.

That's your opinion, and that's perfectly fine.

Is it however, £108,000's worth of "brilliant colour against an otherwise bleak grey nothingness"?

I would suggest not.

Fran's right, it would have looked much better if it was just whitewashed head to toe. And for a fraction of the cost.

Edit: OK, I've received a PM with some interesting news: The cost of the "brilliant colour against an otherwise bleak grey nothingness" was £17k and not £108k as erroneously reported both here and elsewhere. The £108k figure is the budget for the whole year, and includes funding for many other small projects.

My opinion as stated above still stands though. £17k buys an awful lot of whitewash.

Walter Ego
07-Jul-11, 21:04
That's your opinion, and that's perfectly fine.

Is it however, £108,000's worth of "brilliant colour against an otherwise bleak grey nothingness"?

I would suggest not.

Fran's right, it would have looked much better if it was just whitewashed head to toe. And for a fraction of the cost.

Edit: OK, I've received a PM with some interesting news: The cost of the "brilliant colour against an otherwise bleak grey nothingness" was £17k and not £108k as erroneously reported both here and elsewhere. The £108k figure is the budget for the whole year, and includes funding for many other small projects.

My opinion as stated above still stands though. £17k buys an awful lot of whitewash.

Good on you for putting the record straight, MA.

I'd agree with your comment about whitewash being cheaper - but let's not forget that this is a series of promotions to create interest in the redevelopment. And I'd say that given the feedback on here, it's certainly created interest.

But £17k would have been better spent on a free bar in the Seaview.....

Moira
07-Jul-11, 22:02
The actual cost seems to be under debate. The final figure seems to be diminishing with every post I read.

The interest in the project seems to have taken root in the fact that the Hotel building is once again worth viewing/shading from your sight, be you locals or end to enders.

I reckon it's a job well done. :)

John Little
07-Jul-11, 22:07
Seems to be a habit of over-estimating the costs of large paint jobs in Caithness...

Roseob
07-Jul-11, 23:58
Would have been better to spend £108,000 on the renovation, seems a ridiculous amount to put on a building that's being knocked down !!!

Aaldtimer
08-Jul-11, 03:28
Would have been better to spend £108,000 on the renovation, seems a ridiculous amount to put on a building that's being knocked down !!!

Whatever gave you that idea?:confused

Walter Ego
08-Jul-11, 06:46

Pay attention at the back, please.