PDA

View Full Version : Help With Personal Statement?

tootz
30-Jun-11, 13:54
Im wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with my personal statement? i havent a clue where to start!!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated
:)

chordie
30-Jun-11, 14:35
Im wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with my personal statement? i havent a clue where to start!! Any help or advice would be much appreciated:)Well it's not going to be much of a 'personal' statement if a bunch of lunatics on the Internet like us put it together for you. Is this how you are going to do your coursework if you ever get accepted - asking the Internet without even trying ?

RecQuery
30-Jun-11, 14:43
Im wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with my personal statement? i havent a clue where to start!!

In my experience no one really cares about, or even bothers to read them anyway, everyone expects them to be made up I'm surprised they still even ask for them. If it's for college or university, I know for certain they don't care as I used to help lecturers in my degree area sort through first year applications.

It depends on what it's for but 90% of personal statements usually read: "From an early ages...", "Every since I was...", "As far back as I can remember..."

NickInTheNorth
30-Jun-11, 14:44
http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/personalstatement/

tootz
30-Jun-11, 14:46
Excuse me chordie! having already done 6 courses... ill manage my coursework no problem!
my statement needs updated, ive written it out i just would like a different pair of eyes to have a look over it!!

Carole
30-Jun-11, 14:48
Excuse me chordie! having already done 6 courses... ill manage my coursework no problem!
my statement needs updated, ive written it out i just would like a different pair of eyes to have a look over it!!

But in your opening post you said you hadn't a clue where to start. I'm confused.

chordie
30-Jun-11, 14:50
i havent a clue where to start!!
my statement needs updated, ive written it out i just would like a different pair of eyes to have a look over it!!Well you've changed your tune in the space of 10minutes. Which is it ?

NickInTheNorth
30-Jun-11, 14:51

Well which is it, you haven't a clue where to start as your OP, or you want someone to look over it as per your second?

See the link I posted for where to start, post it on here for a second opinion

chordie
30-Jun-11, 14:58
I predict an imminent hissy thread locking.

Corrie 3
30-Jun-11, 15:00
Knickers and twisted comes to mind!!!!

C3..........:roll::roll:;)

Carole
30-Jun-11, 15:19

..... or the deletion of the OP which means the whole thread will disappear? That's what my money is on.

Walter Ego
30-Jun-11, 16:47
Probably expecting a job in the Public Sector as well.

tootz
30-Jun-11, 19:02
woweee! i am sorry i even posted asking for advice! thats the friendly folks in caithness for you.

Leanne
30-Jun-11, 19:08
I PMed you!!! Didn't dare post as I disagree wholeheartedly with a few statements made and would probably get jumped on too...

Walter Ego
30-Jun-11, 19:21
woweee! i am sorry i even posted asking for advice! thats the friendly folks in caithness for you.

I believe the irritation is that you've asked on an internet forum for people to help you do something you should be more than capable of doing yourself.

The idea is, I believe, that you put something of yourself into it, rather than take the easy online route.....

NickInTheNorth
30-Jun-11, 19:26
tootz, in your opening post you stated you didn't know where to start with a personal statement, so I posted a link which provides lots of very good advice on writing a personal statement - given what UCAS do they are very well placed to offer advice.

In your second post you say you've already written it and just want a second pair of eyes to take a look, as I said, post it on here and you will get lots of expert opinion!

So, what exactly do you want? Let us know and I'm sure you will get some good help and advice.

Over to you...

sweetpea
30-Jun-11, 19:40
Same here. PM'd you.

rich62_uk
30-Jun-11, 19:42
Agree, you wonder sometimes if these people would have the bottle to say it to your face !

Droopy
01-Jul-11, 11:13
Agree, you wonder sometimes if these people would have the bottle to say it to your face !

Or the other (and more relivant IMO) side to the coin. Would 3/4 of the threads on here start if the OP was to ask it to someones face?.....I doubt it, not unless they were prepared to be laughed at and told to get a grip.

Anyone know what time Tesco opens? .......

Carole
01-Jul-11, 11:30
Hang on tootz! You asked for help with X, NITN gave you a link.

When it was pointed out that getting help with X was wrong, you said you didn't need help with X but actually wanted help with Y.

Several of us posted saying you were contradicting yourself.

And I said I was confused (but perhaps I should have said that you were?)

A few more posts along the way - and apparently some PMs too - and then you come out with

woweee! i am sorry i even posted asking for advice! thats the friendly folks in caithness for you..

Why don't you save yourself further embarassment and just delete the thread? Please!

ducati
01-Jul-11, 12:14
I absolutely agree with the OP. You should use all the resources at your disposal.

However, anyone wanting to use this one must be completely barking! :eek:

Carole
01-Jul-11, 12:21
anyone wanting to use this one must be completely barking! :eek:

Careful, duke, tootz may take this as you being unfriendly.

Leanne
01-Jul-11, 18:29
Tootz - I've not heard anything from you yet...

shazzap
01-Jul-11, 18:37
Knickers and twisted comes to mind!!!!

C3..........

Under pants and adjusting.:lol:

Ricco
02-Jul-11, 15:59

Tootz - if no-one else is willing I'll have a go. Just been in my current job for 2 years so I did my own just before that. Oh, and they do get read - that's the initial filtering stage; if it isn't any good you never hear a dickie bird.

oldmarine
03-Jul-11, 17:52

Did you get the help for which you were looking? Some interesting comments on this thread.

Leanne
03-Jul-11, 19:24
Did you get the help for which you were looking? Some interesting comments on this thread.

Didn't take me up on my offer for help - no response at all. Not even a 'Thankyou for the offer but no thankyou'. OP can't honestly put that they have good manners and communication skills in the statement lol

Spring Flower
03-Jul-11, 19:42
Didn't take me up on my offer for help - no response at all. Not even a 'Thankyou for the offer but no thankyou'. OP can't honestly put that they have good manners and communication skills in the statement lol

probably couldn't be bothered with the negative feedback and hounding

Leanne
03-Jul-11, 19:49
probably couldn't be bothered with the negative feedback and hounding

I genuinely offered to help (off thread). I have experience with personal statements and would have been glad to help.

darcie
07-Jul-11, 10:42
Well, wether it is help writing your personal statement or editing your personal statement, you could try this link http://www.personal-statement.com/ im pretty sure they can help you with both. If not then look around online for samples that may give you inspiration. If it is editing you need, perhaps ask a family member or friend to check it? But regardless, that site is good.

oldmarine
07-Jul-11, 15:12

tootz: Perhaps you have learned something from your attempt on this web site. :lol: