PDA

View Full Version : He's against internet blocking: John Thurso is starting to grow on me

RecQuery
30-Jun-11, 09:39
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/commons/early-day-motions/edm-detail1/?session=2010-11&edmnumber=1913 - An Early Day Motion against internet blocking, okay it's just an Early Day Motion but it's a start.

Apart from that motion, he always responds to my numerous e-mails and they're always thought-out non-form-letter responses. I've gone off the Lib Dems recently but he still seems like a decent guy.

bekisman
30-Jun-11, 11:22
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/commons/early-day-motions/edm-detail1/?session=2010-11&edmnumber=1913 - An Early Day Motion against internet blocking, okay it's just an Early Day Motion but it's a start.

Apart from that motion, he always responds to my numerous e-mails and they're always thought-out non-form-letter responses. I've gone off the Lib Dems recently but he still seems like a decent guy.

You are right there - he's an approachable bloke, as was Jamie Stone..

Shabbychic
30-Jun-11, 12:08
I've contacted him a few times myself. On many occassions, I have received a letter back from him, and he has signed many, though not all, Early Day Motions I have brought to his attention, although he doesn't usually turn up if they get to the debate stage. He is a Party man, however. There have been times when I have not received a reply at all, usually when it is something the ConDems are not backing, and also some letters I have received, which just spout the usual Party line, especially since being in this Coalition.

There was one occassion where he wrote to me claiming he was really interested in, and was actively involved with the particular topic I contacted him about, but, by his response, I realised he didn't have a clue about it at all. I didn't like that.

weezer 316
30-Jun-11, 12:10

Ill tell you for free mate i used to work for the abuse team in BT for years. the copyright infirngment notices totalled in thier thousands per week. They were, to the last, ignored, until a deal for a pilot was signed with warned bros I believe. Even then the numbers dealt with were minimal.

On the side of rights holders though, they are only asking the ISP's to enforce their own terms and conditions as BT's clearly states that you can be disconnected for copyright infringement.

Rheghead
30-Jun-11, 12:43
Nice to see John Thurso signing up to this, apart from the occasional rebel on tory lines, he seems a dedicated constituency MP and grey Libdem party loyalist.

RecQuery
30-Jun-11, 14:36
Ill tell you for free mate i used to work for the abuse team in BT for years. the copyright infirngment notices totalled in thier thousands per week. They were, to the last, ignored, until a deal for a pilot was signed with warned bros I believe. Even then the numbers dealt with were minimal.

On the side of rights holders though, they are only asking the ISP's to enforce their own terms and conditions as BT's clearly states that you can be disconnected for copyright infringement.

I've never actually received a DCMA notice I've seen them and I know how to deal with them just never received one. I used to to work in the more corporate parts of BT so I've no experience on that side but good to know, I know my current ISP will ignore and not even log them if you buy from them as a comms provider (no extra charge).

RecQuery
30-Jun-11, 18:36
In similar threads to this, I've had people ask me why the Internet shouldn't be policed and regulated - well there are numerous reasons but rather than me restating them here, I'd recommend that anyone who is interested watch this 15 minute talk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORNmfpD0ak) by Eben Moglen of Free Softwate fame.