PDA

View Full Version : kippers

andrew.bowles30
28-Jun-11, 17:20
can anyone tell me who sells the best kippers for my breakfast menu around castletown please smoked :Razz

gleeber
28-Jun-11, 17:28
It's not easy to get a decent kipper these days Andrew but they come smoked as standard. :lol: Mackays at the harbour in Thurso or the fish shop in the precinct.

andrew.bowles30
28-Jun-11, 17:58
thanks will try them

George Brims
28-Jun-11, 18:11
Aw you people! Now I have a kipper craving. Anyone feeling charitable enough to airmail a couple to California?

andrew.bowles30
28-Jun-11, 18:18
a bit smelly in the post

sandyr1
28-Jun-11, 22:56
In Southern Ontario we get 'Scottish' kippers and Scottish' kelp........
Check you local supermarket...you will be surprised!

billy5000
29-Jun-11, 02:39
try jollys fish from orkney(sold in and around thurso)the peppered makeral was very very good so look for kippers from jollys and you should find a fine fish!

George Brims
29-Jun-11, 22:50
Oh I've tried. No luck except for some soggy product in a can, which is more to remind you what you're missing with a real kipper. Can't get anything close to an Arbroath Smokie either. Some good smoked salmon available from Alaska though.

golach
29-Jun-11, 22:54

Sorry Sandy, nobody with any taste buys Kippers from supermarket over here, they are not properly kippered, many are just dyed, far better to buy from a reputable fishmongers

sandyr1
29-Jun-11, 22:58
Yes I have tried then and you could be correct......But that is all we have...boo hoo.
There are a couple of 'fishmongers' in Downtown Toronto 40 miles away, but the word Reputable is questionable!

But nothing beats sitting on the quay in Ullapool, in light drizzle, eating a fish dinner....with half a head and the tail turned up. Oh and lots of brown vinegar...
That experience lasts a lifetime!

gleeber
29-Jun-11, 23:03
I can remember when Kippers were an inch thick and with some boiled tatties it was a kings feast. Herring is only half the size it was even 40years ago. Sign of the times.
Tescos in Wick do Arbroath smokies.

NickInTheNorth
29-Jun-11, 23:04
sandyr1 - you need to open a wee smokehouse and make kippers

Walter Ego
30-Jun-11, 08:35
Can't remember the name of the company, but there's a fishmonger in Thurso/Scrabster that does the rounds in a van. IIRC they have decent undyed kippers and Smokies on the van. For smoked haddie (lovely for breakfast) - try these guys http://www.caithness-smokehouse.com

T (http://www.caithness-smokehouse.com/shop/default.aspx)hey may be able to point you in the direction of decent kippers too.

Commore
30-Jun-11, 11:07
can anyone tell me who sells the best kippers for my breakfast menu around castletown please smoked :RazzLong Fyne for the best, they do mail order and offer a first class service.

poppett
30-Jun-11, 18:26
Loch Fyne kippers would win my vote for mail order. Arbroath smokies can be shipped worldwide from Iain R Spink`s smokehouse.