PDA

View Full Version : From the Torygraph no less: North Sea oil to last atleast another 100 years

RecQuery
28-Jun-11, 10:35
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2131258/North-Sea-oil-will-last-for-100-years.html

Rheghead
28-Jun-11, 10:52
Nothing new here I'm afraid. The key sentence here is "If energy prices continue to soar, companies will become increasingly willing to tap previously uneconomic oil fields."

How much a litre of fuel are we willing to pay in order to enjoy driving our cars before we realise that an electric car though having a poorer performance is a better bet? £2? £5? £10?

scotsboy
28-Jun-11, 10:57
Nothing new here I'm afraid. The key sentence here is "If energy prices continue to soar, companies will become increasingly willing to tap previously uneconomic oil fields."

How much a litre of fuel are we willing to pay in order to enjoy driving our cars before we realise that an electric car though having a poorer performance is a better bet? £2? £5? £10?

But the vast majority of the cost at pump is taxation, I currently pay around 7.5 pence per litre for petrol, and that provides for the recovery, refining, delivery and a profit.....unreal eh.

RecQuery
28-Jun-11, 11:04
Petroleum products have other uses also, but most of the price is from taxation. I've said elsewhere that I'm all for renewable energy and related research and industries.

NickInTheNorth
28-Jun-11, 11:06
But the vast majority of the cost at pump is taxation, I currently pay around 7.5 pence per litre for petrol, and that provides for the recovery, refining, delivery and a profit.....unreal eh.

Unfortunately that will be the way of things in the UK until such time as politicians turn over a new leaf and dare to tax us in a fair open and honest way rather than trying to hide all the tax all of the time.

I really don't have any issue with paying to drive, but would like to see the tax taken away from the fuel and placed on the roads. Why would I like that - simple really, all the proposed roads pricing models show that they would charge more for roads that are highly used, and less for quieter roads

So up here in Caithness where we need our cars because the public transport is somewhere between non-existent and useless the cost per miles would be low, whereas in the big cities where public transport is cheap, frequent and reliable and there is an alternative to the private car the cost per mile would be high. Will the politicians agree to that? Where are the most votes going to be cast...

Rheghead
28-Jun-11, 11:07

Well you are in the biggest oil producing region, so special economics are at play in your case to keep the people happy. In the case of the UK, taxation will not change and the base cost of oil will increase due to normal supply and demand economics.

_Ju_
28-Jun-11, 11:11
How arrogant of us to think ourselves entitled to use this resource to exhaustion. No thought for needs other than to burn it in our engines and foul the air. We cannot sustain the exponencial growth we are demanding. We couldn't even sustain linear growth.

scotsboy
28-Jun-11, 11:14
Not sure about special economics, but find it strange that I can buy a bottle of whisky cheaper in Bahrain than Scotland.

NickInTheNorth
28-Jun-11, 11:16
again that is down to tax - Bahrain does not need the revenue from duty on alcohol so don't charge any ( or a very low rate)

scotsboy
28-Jun-11, 11:16
How arrogant of us to think ourselves entitled to use this resource to exhaustion. No thought for needs other than to burn it in our engines and foul the air. We cannot sustain the exponencial growth we are demanding. We couldn't even sustain linear growth.

So what are you going to do without? It's not a matter of cutting back is it? People will need to make sacrifices.

Rheghead
28-Jun-11, 11:18
Not sure about special economics, but find it strange that I can buy a bottle of whisky cheaper in Bahrain than Scotland.

Because the cost of a basic mattress in political prison cells doesn't come out of Bahraini taxation? :)

weezer 316
28-Jun-11, 11:54
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2131258/North-Sea-oil-will-last-for-100-years.html

You are surely no going to believe this are you? Its the telegraph, a paper you criticized numerous times before for their inaccurate data on Scotland and its economy!

For the record, Im sure the oil is there. Im not sure its economical to extract it, or safe (deepwater horizon anyone???) although im no expert of the economies of scale for this sort of thing. I am absolutely sure though that we really need to move away from oil full stop.

Green_not_greed
28-Jun-11, 12:04
I really don't have any issue with paying to drive, but would like to see the tax taken away from the fuel and placed on the roads. Why would I like that - simple really, all the proposed roads pricing models show that they would charge more for roads that are highly used, and less for quieter roads

So up here in Caithness where we need our cars because the public transport is somewhere between non-existent and useless the cost per miles would be low, whereas in the big cities where public transport is cheap, frequent and reliable and there is an alternative to the private car the cost per mile would be high. Will the politicians agree to that? Where are the most votes going to be cast...

What a great idea! Shame it would never get voted through.

scotsboy
28-Jun-11, 12:22
Because the cost of a basic mattress in political prison cells doesn't come out of Bahraini taxation? :)

You think they have mattresses in the prisons!

Rheghead
28-Jun-11, 13:58
I didn't think so, so in order to enjoy driving our cars as the cost of oil goes high enough so that oil companies can make profit by exploring currently uneconomic oil fields we must remove the tax from petrol etc.

So we must ask ourselves, 'Which other taxes must be raised or public services should be cut so we can afford to continue driving our cars?

But then how sustainable is that fiscal policy and what sort of society will it lead to?

_Ju_
28-Jun-11, 14:06
So what are you going to do without? It's not a matter of cutting back is it? People will need to make sacrifices.
We are not going to do without until it is no longer our choice. I do not know or pretend to know the answer to solving the energy crisis. Infact I have alot more questions than answers and what I do know is far outweighed by my ignorance. One of the things I am pretty sure about is that if we survive long enough (as a species) one day we will be looked back at with incredulity at the stupid way we squandered resources.

Phill
28-Jun-11, 14:40
I have often pondered when peak oil was / is. And what would become of the world once the secret is outed.A madmax style civilisation to look forward too?Would countries go to war over oil reserves? Could we battle with the Vikings once again as they go plundering the oil fields?

George Brims
29-Jun-11, 22:53
Would countries go to war over oil reserves?
I think it's a case of "Been there, done that".

George Brims
29-Jun-11, 22:57
...an electric car though having a poorer performance is a better bet?
Poorer performance? Tell that to these people: http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster
I know, range is still an issue, but I have watched these things whiz by me on the freeway and I can tell you they're damn nippy.

theone
30-Jun-11, 07:21
North Sea oil will always exist in some quantity or another.

But the fact is rates are declining, and will continue to do so. The "Easy" oil is mainly gone, now it's the hard to produce, low rate fields that are in the majority.

The UK became a net importer of oil some years ago, I don't see us becoming a net exporter again, ever.

Walter Ego
30-Jun-11, 08:26
'A hundred years'

The outbreak of the First World War was just a hundred years ago - within living memory.

So to treat this as some sort of 'relief' is completely wrong, we should be treating it as a dire warning.

Start the away from oil based fuels NOW - or our great grand-children will reap the harvest of our short-sightedness.

bekisman
30-Jun-11, 08:53
Please don't start going off thread...

_Ju_
30-Jun-11, 09:40
.A madmax style civilisation to look forward too?Would countries go to war over oil reserves?We will go to war over anything such as ideals, ideologies, religious beliefs, historical antagonism, ethinicity, supremacy and, most especially, for economical/financial reasons. Infact, all the other reasons are a a justification for war when the base reason is financial gain. What will be scarey and a world I hope none of my decendants have to live in, is when we are at war for survival itself. I can see this happening when there is war over clean water, for example.