PDA

View Full Version : help please

nutella
27-Jun-11, 20:09
just found this baby bird on my path and by the look of it it has a broken wing and leg. i have no idea what type of bird it is or what to feed it till i can take it to the vet first thing

http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9611&d=1309201442

greener
27-Jun-11, 20:28
Its a baby Scorrie not worth the vets bill!

Leanne
27-Jun-11, 20:37
I thought it was a gull. I wouldn't say not worth the vet's bill but I would say that I wouldn't leave it in pain overnight :(

nutella
27-Jun-11, 20:42
contacted the sspca so it is thier choice - can't and won't kill it when i have 2 kids around

Dadie
27-Jun-11, 20:43
Phone the SSPCA helpline (the no is in pets corner in a sticky under useful nos)
They will come and take it away.

Liz
27-Jun-11, 20:46
Its a baby Scorrie not worth the vets bill!

That's your opinion!

Well done nutella for caring.

Leanne
27-Jun-11, 20:52
That's your opinion!

Well done nutella for caring.

But not caring enough to free it from pain... Kids need to learn that animals feel pain too and what compassion is. Compassion can sometimes make us sick to the stomach :( but why leave an animal to be in agony just to spare your kids? Is it fair to let them see that their mum leaves an animal in pain?

nutella
27-Jun-11, 22:32
The SSPCA now has the the chick!

it didn't appear to be in agony as it wasn't making a noise and was happy enough to eat. is it fair to tell a 4 year old that your going to kill a poor defenseless bird because it's injured.

Everyone has thier opinion and mine is why would i take a life of a bird just because it was injured - i wouldn't do it to any of my pets

shazzap
27-Jun-11, 22:38

it didn't appear to be in agony as it wasn't making a noise and was happy enough to eat. is it fair to tell a 4 year old that your going to kill a poor defenseless bird because it's injured.

Everyone has thier opinion and mine is why would i take a life of a bird just because it was injured - i wouldn't do it to any of my pets

I think, you did the right thing.

Leanne
27-Jun-11, 22:45

Glad they picked it up so quickly :) I think you misunderstood me though - I wouldn't kill it because it was injured, I would have killed it as it was in pain. But then again if it was eating it can't have been that distressed so it probably has a good outlook :) Did they say what was the treatment plan for it? And was it a gull? x

Dadie
27-Jun-11, 22:45
If there is a chance of survival SSPCA....if no chance of survival...spade!
Birdie with broken wing has a chance of a decent recovery...
Our stunned kestral youngster who went splat into a window was scooped into a box and kept quiet until the SSPCA came for him...no obvious damage to limbs but he had a nasty concussion.
The mouse presented to me on the backdoorstep with its intestines coming out a hole in his side had no chance and a slow painful death to look forward to if let loose and the cat had lost interest..so it got the spade...not nice but kind in the long run....
Yup the kids knew what was happening.....
And they were a bit sad..but when explained to them they were ok with it...Lauren is more sensitive over these type of matters, and she wasnt too happy but agreed it was better for the mouse ...Iona worryingly said squish it.

Corrie 3
28-Jun-11, 10:00
Well done Nutella, you did right in letting the experts deal with it.
The things I would like the spade taken to are the schoolkids I saw recently who were throwing their lunch in front of passing cars in the hope the scorries would get run over when they went to pick up the food. I coudnt believe my eyes, have they no respect for life these days? Apart from squashed scorries they could easily have caused an accident.
Sickening to say the least!
I hope yours survives!!

C3......:eek::mad: