PDA

View Full Version : A call to former pupils of Thurso High

Raonaid
22-Sep-06, 23:19
Sir Basil Spence was one of the most celebrated 2Oth Century architects, at the heart of a dynamic period of social change in the 1950’s / 1960’s and designed many of the buildings that helped deliver it. Thurso High School was opened in 1958 and is a fine example of Spence’s school designs, with many of the original features still intact. Next year will be the centenary of Spence’s birth culminating in a major exhibition, one of the largest ever on a Scottish architect. It will also be the 50 th anniversary of the building of Thurso High School’s main structure.

Thurso High School pupils will be participating in a three day film workshop on 27, 28. 29 September and are keen to contact any former pupil who attended the school in the first few years of it opening. Any information, personal experiences or memories of the then new school building will greatly benefit the workshop and enable our pupils to understand and appreciate what it was like to attend the school with its radical new look and new interiors. This will also give our pupils an insight into what school life was like then compared to now and increase their appreciation of the architectural merits of the school. Written comments from former pupils must arrive prior to 27 September and should be addressed to:

The Art Department,
Thurso High School,
Ormlie Road,
Thurso,
Caithness
KWI4 7DS

Our pupils may wish to conduct a short interview with former pupils to help give the workshop a real community link. If you are willing to be interviewed then please write to or telephone the school (01847 893 822) before the start date and we will arrange a time and day to visit and participate.

There will also be a range of archive material, which was presented by the Spence family to the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). This will be on display in the foyer at the front entrance of the school. The display will show a range of material spanning Spence’s entire working life, A visiting member from the team heading the project will be in attendance to discuss the contents of the work on display during the three-day workshop. The exhibition is not open to the public, however requests to view the archive material can be made to the Art Department.

crayola
24-Sep-06, 02:06
I'm way too young to take part in this but it's a worthy project so I'll bump it back to the top.

I can't say I loved the place but if I'd been bad at school I wouldn't have made a good living the way I did. Ironic but true.

JAWS
24-Sep-06, 02:49
Raonaid, that is a piece of local information I was totally unaware of. I have been to Coventry Cathedral, where he was also the Architect, and was very impressed by the design and I am not a particular lover of Modern and Post-Modern Architecture.

In future I will pay greater attention to Thurso High when I pass it.

Errogie
24-Sep-06, 21:01
At that time Thurso was being built on and extended on every side. Another building site didn't make a lot of difference to a teenager.
School was school was school a loathed place to escape from at the earliest opportunity. I would be very surprised if any pupil had the slightest inkling or appreciation of its architectural merit.
The Miller Academy, now that was a building with some class. You overlooked and spilled straight out onto the grass playing fields. And some of the classrooms had chimmneys and real coal fires to thaw the frozen milk in front of.
No, once they've cleaned up Dounereay they should tear the High School down and start all over again.