PDA

View Full Version : Dentist

peter macdonald
22-Sep-06, 15:57
I see today in the post my young fella got a bill from the dentist asking for 10 pounds to keep him registered in the practise ...he is at school .too young to go and work .Dont get me wrong it will be paid as his health comes first but this smacks of greed and exploitaion to me

unicorn
22-Sep-06, 16:12
whatever happened to the nhs??? hubby was gonna opt out of the payment plan for his dentist but I have been told by others if he does they will no longer treat my daughter but I dont know how true this is.

Naefearjustbeer
22-Sep-06, 16:25
We got letters asking both of us to join the practice monthly subscrition scheme so that our daughter could get NHS treatment. This is the same practice that refused to treat my wife when pregnant (because pregnant folk are entitled to NHS dentistry). NEadless to say the letter got torn up and thrown in the bin. It should be illeagal what they are doing. We now go to a dentist in wick and pay private prices that era cheaper than my NHS bills of old when I went to the dentist that used to be beside bews the butchers. Damm crooks..

lassieinfife
22-Sep-06, 16:43
I think that all the dentist who have opted out of the NHS should have to pay all their training fees back, seems we just keep on paying for them

henry20
22-Sep-06, 16:51
I once asked a dentist why they stopped treating people on NHS and they informed me that the reason was because it took so long for the NHS to pay them for the treatments that the business suffered. Had the NHS paid prompt he would still have been treating his patients on NHS to this day.

girnigoe
22-Sep-06, 17:35
I thankfully managed to get my tooth sorted out fairly easily.

But I heard that Mr Erridge has stopped taking on emergency appointments as he hasnt been paid by the NHS for the past year!! :eek:

rangers1873
22-Sep-06, 19:05
my crown fell out last night,went to the dentist in wick to see if i could get a emergeny appointment.was told they are private now and i would have to pay.i thought fare enough i'll pay because i was desperate to get it put back in.but when i asked how much i was told £30.00 to get the crown fixed but i'd have to pay them £20.00 to register with them first.that woud of been £50 for a drop of cement to stick in back in.what a rip off

Naefearjustbeer
23-Sep-06, 00:35
my crown fell out last night,went to the dentist in wick to see if i could get a emergeny appointment.was told they are private now and i would have to pay.i thought fare enough i'll pay because i was desperate to get it put back in.but when i asked how much i was told £30.00 to get the crown fixed but i'd have to pay them £20.00 to register with them first.that woud of been £50 for a drop of cement to stick in back in.what a rip off

Try Bridge end for a quote after you start paying 17.50 a month just to be on the books.

molly
27-Sep-06, 19:52
I use to pay bridgend for treatment, which consisted of a monthly bill for routine hygenist appts and check-ups, which were cancelled many times due to dentist being not well and put off for another month or two, depending on how busy they were. I had to pay this amount even when i was pregnant. I continued to pay so my children could be treated by the nhs, which come to think of was only one checkup appt, once every nine months or so with no other treatment needed.

I now go to Wick and and only pay once a year £20 for registration. £25 twice a year for two checkups and £20 twice for two appts at hygenist. The overall other treatment is cheaper and customer service is excellent. You pick when you want to go rather than the dentist fitting you in.
For a child and their siblings they pay £10 as a group to register and reduced cost for a check up

sam
27-Sep-06, 21:13
I think that dentists should have a governing body to stop them from charging ridiculous prices, how can it be right that one dentist can charge £45 for 1 filling when another can charge £20 for the exact same work.[disgust]
I noticed in the courier today that bridge end dentists are advertising their practise probably because a lot of people have decided not to pay their charges just for being on their register, its disgusting that in this day and age they are allowed to get away with it.
how many people have suffered just because they couldnt afford the registration charges.[evil]
they are no better than crooks

mccaugm
27-Sep-06, 23:36
I am new to the area and have been taking my children to the dentist in Alness, which they have been going to for years, as it is easier than trying to get and paying for a dentist up here.

I phoned around and either they are extortionate in fees or they are good dentists and their lists are full. It seems I will be travelling up and down the A9 for a while more to come.

I have to attend the dentist in Invergordon (Private) as the NHS dentist 2 of my children attend is full. I could not even register my youngest child so I will be taking him to my dentist....

This is utter madness....my dentist in Invergordon informed me that dentists are so thin on the ground that he sees patients from as far afield as Aberdeen and the Sutherland area.

avalon
27-Sep-06, 23:52
I had a crown
chipped
off on one of my front teeth , I am a OAP and they wanted £900 to replace it . I
afraid
it is staying as it is .I call this a BIG BIG ripoff

chamb
28-Sep-06, 10:48
Well at present i do not have a dentist an my teeth are not the best in the world, for the last 3 years if i have had pain i phone the emergency help line and go to normally wick, to erridge and have the trouble whipped out.

So much easier and no greedy bills to pay.

I would norm go to thurso dentist until nearly 4 years ago i registered with bridgend after Gordon and Andrews closed, i had a first appointment and they said what work i needed done, at this appt I had said I was pregnant and the dentist who is no longer there said that my work would be done FREE. Well i was delighted, because he also said and until the child is one it would also be free, so we had a greed that i would have fillings changed from silver to while etc, no price had been mentioned, why would it, he had already said it would be free.

After the next appointment i had a filling or a tooth removed not 100% sure, but i recieved a bill for £90, well to say i was shocked, is an understatement.

To this day that bill will never be paid, and one of the staff there had the neck to call me to see if they could come to an agreement not on there nelly???? Would you

buggyracer
28-Sep-06, 11:02
i dont think it is co-incedince that the owner of the bridgend practice has nearly 100 homes that he rents out?

connieb19
28-Sep-06, 11:06
i dont think it is co-incedince that the owner of the bridgend practice has nearly 100 homes that he rents out?LOL, you're not starting idle gossip are you? :lol:

flash
28-Sep-06, 11:50
Wife and I still registered with an NHS dentist. With a 400 mile round trip and overnight accomodation it's still cheaper than getting treated localy.

dragonfly
28-Sep-06, 12:16
i dont think it is co-incedince that the owner of the bridgend practice has nearly 100 homes that he rents out?

buggyracer, that seems to go against your feelings about gossip that you have on another thread (extract quoted below) - what does the quote above have to do with Dentists apart from the fact that he is one?

i have just noticed on more than a few occasions when a business in the county does something wrong or closes the community website feels it is there duty to discuss it? I would hate to read something on here about me as i am sure you would do?

Kaishowing
28-Sep-06, 12:17
Wife and I still registered with an NHS dentist. With a 400 mile round trip and overnight accomodation it's still cheaper than getting treated localy.

You're not the only one who feels like that....I know someone who thinks that it's worth seeing a dentist in Aberdeen twice a year as the standard and price of treatment up here is unreasonable.

Personally, I was upset to see Nigel Fitter leave town as he was the best dentist Wick had seen for at least a decade.

crashbandicoot1979
28-Sep-06, 13:11

Isn't it under new ownership now??

buggyracer
28-Sep-06, 13:55
buggyracer, that seems to go against your feelings about gossip that you have on another thread (extract quoted below) - what does the quote above have to do with Dentists apart from the fact that he is one?

Quite the opposite infact, whilst whilst i disagree with gossip and badtalking of local business, i was mearly pointing out that the owner is obviously a vey succesfull business man and applauding the fact, i feel you have mis-interpreted my post somewhat, slight difference i feel

dragonfly
28-Sep-06, 14:02
thats the problem with written words, one mans meaning is another mans misinterpretation!

jings00
28-Sep-06, 16:39
i had to get a filling as a matter of urgency, so in between being advised this and the appointment for this urgent filling i looked up the old information superhighway and had a look at info on cavities, etc. says on the website that they can take years to develop so i wondered why was this urgent, why was it not picked up on in my regular checkups? so i did ask, but was only told that these things were hard to see.i feel that by having to be a private patient (and i don't have a lot of dosh masel) i would expect a wee bit more for my money.

connieb19
28-Sep-06, 16:46
I know some-one who, when she has toothache, pulls her own teeth out. :eek: Just the thought of it is enough to make me feel sick. [disgust]

unicorn
28-Sep-06, 16:48
I will be seeing my dentist in Turkey again in a couple of weeks, cheap and great service.

henry20
28-Sep-06, 16:50
I will be seeing my dentist in Turkey again in a couple of weeks, cheap and great service.

Now, that is a good idea!! :)

unicorn
28-Sep-06, 16:59
I got 2 fillings done last time for £24 and that was the porcelain ones. £4 was tip! there are no waiting times as the area I go to is not touristic and there are 8 surgeries for 10,000 population the only real difference was the chair didn't go back, it was clean and I never even felt the jag!