PDA

View Full Version : Team GB

Shabbychic
22-Jun-11, 13:31
I see The British Olympic Association and the English FA, are pleased to announce they have agreed to form a Team GB for men's and women's football tournaments, at the 2012 Olympic Games.

The BOA stated: “The British sides will be administered by the English FA, which will have responsibility for nominating the managers, players and support personnel to the BOA for final selection to Team GB. Players from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and other territories, who meet the approved competitive standard, will be eligible for consideration and selection.”

Strange thing is, the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FAs, have agreed to no such thing, but that doesn't appear to matter. It is a done deal and Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, can like it or lump it.

Charming.

Gordon Bonnet
22-Jun-11, 14:05
One suspects they will 'lump it' rather than like it. If the Scottish and Welsh associations really ARE set against this then no games should be played on their soil. No coincidence that this hubbub coincides with the release this week of the remainder of tickets, the majority of which are for football. I understand the reluctance to climb aboard this Beckham bandwagon (he will surely figure) and personally would gand the event to the Armed Forces so the best of their young men and women can carry the torch in a football sense, rather than the usual suspects who have ample opportunity elsewhere.

theone
22-Jun-11, 14:50
I don't have a problem with team GB, but I do think the BOC and FA should have gone about things in a more tactful way.

Gareth Bale, a welshman, has already given his support to team GB, and has offered the very valid question that if the British Lions can play rugby with the support of the home nations, why can't we do it for football?

And why should any Scot, NI or Welshman be prevented from appearing at the olympics simply because the SFA etc don't want them to?

The only sad thing is that I can't see many Scots getting anywhere near the team.........I would love to see Sir Alex manage it though.

Shabbychic
22-Jun-11, 15:11
I think one of the main problems is the future of our home nations, as was previously stated here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/01/fifa-sepp-blatter-england-scotland-ireland-wales-fa-home-nations).

It is not just the SFA that don't want this.

Joint statement on Team GB
Tuesday, 21 June 2011

The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland reiterate our collective opposition to Team GB participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, contrary to the media release issued by the British Olympic Association today.

We have been consistently clear in explaining the reason for our stance, principally to protect the identity of each national association. With that in mind, we cannot support nor formally endorse the approach that has been proposed by the Football Association.

We have stressed this in communications to them and are disappointed that this has been ignored in the media release. No discussions took place with any of us, far less historic agreement been reached, prior to the statement from the BOA being released.

The Associations are committed to supporting the individual Home Nations playing all representative football under their respective flags as independent members of FIFA and UEFA. This position has been endorsed by supporters of all Home Nations, who have been consulted throughout this process.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive

Jonathan Ford, FA of Wales Chief Executive

Patrick Nelson, Irish FA Chief Executive

theone
22-Jun-11, 15:17
Yes, I got emailed that statement from the SFA as I'm a member of the Tartan Army.

I still don't see the problem. FIFA have publically announced that team GB would not affect the future of the home nations.

It's strange how the SFA are happy to support olympic football by hosting it (and getting money for it) at Hampden.

I wouldn't want to see Highland Region being prevented from sending out a school rugby team just because Thurso High School didn't want to be a part of it. The same goes for olympic football.

Shabbychic
22-Jun-11, 15:25
Well I personally wouldn't trust FIFA as far as I could throw them, and that's my problem with this.