PDA

View Full Version : "Welcome" to Brough

Humerous Vegetable
21-Sep-06, 16:31
Did anyone see the newspaper story about the poor public-spirited guy in Brough who had been cutting the grass and put out a table and seat for people to sit and enjoy the views at his own expense had them dumped back into his own garden while he was out, and told to stop cutting the vegetation?
Apparently the Brough Bay Association don't want to encourage tourists and other undesirables to stop in Brough, cluttering up the view from their expensive houses.
Apparently they own the road, verges, seashore and views out there!

loneranger
21-Sep-06, 16:40
its such a shame when sum1 tries to do a bit of good for their community and it ends up it gets thrown back in there face at them like that.

all the guy was doing was keeping it a bit tider and nice for people to sit and relax.

sam
21-Sep-06, 16:50
what i would like to know are have the members of the brough bay association lived there all or most of their lives like Mr Sinclair or are they incomers?
so they dont want to encourage tourists and undesirables to the area, so i take it then that these very same people are against tourists to caithness? I think not.
it makes me mad,when people take this attitude, its a free country so what right have they to say who should and shouldnt visit the area.
or would it be a very different story if they were paying for the pleasure[disgust]

willa
21-Sep-06, 17:04
The story says it all. Surely everyone has the rights to enjoy the countryside as long as you look after it. Is the land common or does someone own it?

brokencross
21-Sep-06, 17:05
Article taken from Groat Courier wesite for those who haven't seen it.
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/762/Anger_as_beauty-spot_bench_is_removed.html

When I saw this article in the Groat/Courier, I thought the BBA were being a bit mean; however I think they are covering their backs regarding any injury claim from some tourist, visitors or children coming a cropper on the bench and suing for damages. A sign of the litigious culture we have to live in.

It was not right for them just to dump it unceremoniously in his garden while he was out, that was very cowardly. They should explain their reasons for their actions fully.

bigjjuk
21-Sep-06, 17:09
we do the incomers always get the blame. it could just be fussy locals. but everyone is right, its a sad shame and a disgrace

sam
21-Sep-06, 17:12
i didnt accuse the incomers, i merely asked a question

bigpete
21-Sep-06, 17:42
Sounds like a right bunch of pompous prats to me! especially if you read the article and the fact that "Mr Sinclair contrasted the brae-edge site with that of a nearby bench erected some years ago by the association further down the cliff. He said: “To me, I’d say that is totally unsafe as there is no handrail and if anybody slipped when the tide was in there would be nothing to stop them going straight into the sea. “Saying that, you can hardly see the bench from the main road and even if people get there they can expect to be chased off as the association just don’t want people there.”

These seem very sad people, making the effort to rip up Mr Sinclair's work and yet leave there own - more dangerous seat - in situ. best of luck Mr Sinclair for your public spirited action! P.S. the names of the 'committee' sound local?

Humerous Vegetable
21-Sep-06, 17:50
According to the press reports, he had erected a handrail and had the council out to check the site, which was judged to be safe. I think the BBA are using this red herring to justify their exclusivity stance, where they think they're just too good to mix with the common herd and are more interested in their property prices than complying with the terms of the Scottish Access Code.

sam
21-Sep-06, 17:52
Sounds like a right bunch of pompous prats to me! especially if you read the article and the fact that "Mr Sinclair contrasted the brae-edge site with that of a nearby bench erected some years ago by the association further down the cliff. He said: “To me, I’d say that is totally unsafe as there is no handrail and if anybody slipped when the tide was in there would be nothing to stop them going straight into the sea. “Saying that, you can hardly see the bench from the main road and even if people get there they can expect to be chased off as the association just don’t want people there.”

These seem very sad people, making the effort to rip up Mr Sinclair's work and yet leave there own - more dangerous seat - in situ. best of luck Mr Sinclair for your public spirited action! P.S. the names of the 'committee' sound local?

yeah the 3 names ... 1 sounds scottish ...1 sounds irish....and the other sounds like a name that billy connolly might well have made up ;):Razz

Buttercup
21-Sep-06, 18:12
Whilest in no way do I condone what the BBA did (as I don't know the full facts) according to the Courier Mr Sinclair had been sent 2 letters asking him to remove it. The 2nd warned that if he didn't take action they would. So obviously he knew it was going to happen. The fact that he was out at the time can be disregarded as, unless they had spies watching him, how were they to know?:confused

pultneytooner
21-Sep-06, 22:21
Heres another interesting link about the bench:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/724/Missing_seat_at_Brough.html

Naefearjustbeer
21-Sep-06, 23:44
Sounds like a nice place to organise a orgers day out. How many folk could rally round for a picnic :evil

Ann
22-Sep-06, 09:34
I take it we have to bring our own seating? [smirk]

Naefearjustbeer
22-Sep-06, 10:31
I take great pride in the fact that Scotland has the freedom of access that our southern neighbours i.e england does not have. I also take from that freedom that I am joint owner of the countryside along with all other inhabitants of Scotland. I can quite rightly tell someone Scotland is my land. That means as long as I am not pitching camp in your garden I have just as much right as the next person to go to Brough and look out over the cliffs stroll along the coast sit on a bench or do whatever I please within the bounds of our laws. It really gets my goat when someone trys to erode my and my fellow countrymens rights by saying who can and cant do what and where thay can do it.
The man as far as I can see is lives in brough and has done something good for the comunity and the tourism to the area. He should be applauded for doing something positive not have it thrown back in his face by some comitee that think it has more rights than the next over some land that has no legal access restrictions and was gifted to the comunity of brough. He IMHO should take his bench and put it right back where it was and the first know it all to object should get told they can stick their ideas where the sun dont shine.
We have excellent access to our countryside, do not allow people to come here and eat away at our rights. If they want to have private places where the general public have no access or rights then move to a more draconian country than Scotland. Goodbye you will not be missed infact I will get your coat and hat for you to help you on your way.

JAWS
22-Sep-06, 10:50
Mmmm. Sounds like the sort of place to visit with my Ghetto Blaster! :eek:

saffy100
22-Sep-06, 12:55
Hi

Two of the people in question are local and one is an incomer from 40 years ago.
Mr Sinclair i believe has a right to be angry as he was born here and generations of his family before him,he can no longer walk down to the places that he grew up in and so erected a place to sit, the sign i believe was because he wanted to share the place, and as people say, we need to encourage visitors to the area not chase them away...what do these people think will sustain the County once Dounreay goes...as has been in all the papers...well tourism could be a lucrative business...but not if people disscourage visitors.

This makes me very cross as i am an incomer...dare i say it English too!!!....but i can understand why local people get angry when people move to the area and start dictating (which is not just an English trait...shall we say "big city folk" for arguments sake)...banning people from here, there and everywhere....maybe we should remind them of the access code.
When people ask me if i have ever come across "the anti English " thing, i tell them that it's hardly surprising that we get a bad name when some people treat locals like this!!!! ( i have to say that 99.9% of the time i have found Caithness folk to be the friendliest of all my travels) but if i was in Mr Sinclair's position i too would be angry, and may i just say that it is only about the individuals, he wants to encourage visitors to the area and regularly is seen chatting with holidaymakers and visitors alike and i have not heard him generalising.

Rant Over!!

saffy100

Naefearjustbeer
22-Sep-06, 13:06
What do you mean by he can no longer walk down to places that he grew up? Are you no longer allowed down to the harbour?

The people referred to as "Incomers" or "white settlers" in a derogitary way to me are folk who come in and try to run the place better than the locals (so they like to think). They are not always English. It is more about attitude than birthplace.

Naefearjustbeer
22-Sep-06, 13:08
I have just read the paper, It appears that it was not the whole comitee that made the desicion as they werent all invited to discuss it. Sounds like an elite clique is operating within the association.

Gleber2
22-Sep-06, 13:10
What do you mean by he can no longer walk down to places that he grew up? Are you no longer allowed down to the harbour?

He has a physical problem which makes walking difficult which means he can't walk where he would like including the harbour.

peter macdonald
22-Sep-06, 13:40
What a shame on the old guy!! Ive just read this and find the actions of the BBA
or some sections of it seem quite deplorable ,Mr Sinclair seems one of a dying kind ie a public spirited chap who is trying to do a bit of good in his community not paid not ,looking for thanks ...to go and dump the seat in his garden like the BBA were insensitive in the extreme ... I notice the BBA were not available for interviews !!!
Congrats to Ms Irving (a non local I think??)for her actions and comments

Naefearjustbeer
22-Sep-06, 15:35
He has a physical problem which makes walking difficult which means he can't walk where he would like including the harbour.
oops I thought it meant access to the harbour was banned.

Errogie
25-Sep-06, 22:33
I think Brough is a gem of a place and I am sure that many more people will visit it following this publicity but take your own folding seat so you can spend time taking in the view. Perhaps we should have whip round for a cairn and plaque to mark the site of the late departed seat!

tinairving
24-Jul-09, 17:46
Now the association wants to do repairs to the pier and the boatpark without permission from the boatpark owners. They say they will stir up more trouble if they don't get permission. The owners have asked for a maintenance agreement before giving permission.

Fran
25-Jul-09, 01:44
Just noticed, this started in September 2006........what a longtime post!!

northener
25-Jul-09, 01:53
Just found this picture of the BBA in my archives:

http://rdellagriva.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/edward-and-tubbs-reece-shearsmith-and-steve-pemberton-in-the-league-of-gentlemen.jpg?w=267&h=183

tinairving
25-Jul-09, 15:11
Good picture.....:) Long post (since 2006) still problems in paradise....tourists ARE welcome in Brough, despite BBA.

tinairving
25-May-10, 21:16
The Brough Bay Association is causing trouble again and trying to steal the land belonging to a local company. Once again there was no consultation with the committee, just the Chairman and Secretary writing letters saying that it is the Association's land. The Chairman also threatened one of the Trustees of a local charity on 24th April as she was cleaning the beach. We built a barbecue but it was wrecked and the grill pan and grill stolen. The Association have dumped two wrecks of boats on the shore and threatened a local contractor if he moves them. Of course this has been reported to the police.

The legal owners of the boatpark have asked for a solicitor's letter if they have a legitimate claim on the land, but to date have not received a reply, presumably because they are just chancers trying to steal land.

When will this mean spirited bully boy learn that he can gain nothing by trying to intimidate people who have lived in some really rough areas of the world.

ducati
25-May-10, 21:42
Hi

one is an incomer from 40 years ago.
Rant Over!!

saffy100

How 'kin long do you have to be here before you lose the tag? :eek:

Did you know incomer is a term only used in Scotland and Wales?

OOPs! just reallised how old this thread is. It pre-dates my arrival in Caithness by a good bit. Good to know in forty years I will still be an incomer though LOL

LMS
25-May-10, 22:21
Being a 'local' from birth (just incase anyone asks!), I firmly believe that people that move up don't lose the 'incomer' tag through time, only through attitude. When in Rome..........

Blarney
25-May-10, 22:37
Being a 'local' from birth (just incase anyone asks!), I firmly believe that people that move up don't lose the 'incomer' tag through time, only through attitude. When in Rome..........
Well said LMS and I think Ducati's a local already!

ducati
25-May-10, 23:21
Well said LMS and I think Ducati's a local already!

Shucks...:lol:

Kodiak
26-May-10, 00:00
Whee, does that make me and Mrs Kodiak Locals as we have lived in Caithness for 23 years. :Razz

Blarney
26-May-10, 00:16
Whee, does that make me and Mrs Kodiak Locals as we have lived in Caithness for 23 years. :Razz
Your interview is a week Tuesday. Remember to bring your passport, practise the dialect and as LMS said, adopt the right attitude. If you don't make it this time you can re-apply in another 5 years. Good luck;)

Gronnuck
26-May-10, 06:48
Time the petitioners and Mr Sinclair tried a different tack.

Under the terms of the Disability Discrimination Act the owners of any facility that is open/available to the public are required by law to "make reasonable adjustments" to cater for people with disabilities.

It could be argued that this should include access to seating and handrails where none already exist.

David Banks
26-May-10, 08:04

The people referred to as "Incomers" or "white settlers" in a derogitary way to me are folk who come in and try to run the place better than the locals (so they like to think). They are not always English. It is more about attitude than birthplace.

It is my view that locals cannot cut off access to the pier at Brough. One day, a little time ago now, I decided to drive my dad's car down to the pier at Brough, just opposite the Clett Rock. The main road to Dunnet Head takes a sharp left turn, but we took a sharp right turn down the narrow roaddie to the pier.

On arriving at the bottom, it appeared there was virtually no room in which to effect a turn around, so we parked the car and wandered around over the rocks and pier for a while, enjoying the scenery.

A little later, the truth sunk in that we would have to reverse up the path we had entered, and proceeded to execute that plan. I'm not sure if we told my dad - he did not like news of narrow squeaks with his vehicle which he required for his business. It was a 4-wheel sedan with a tow-bar at the back.

In my opinion, the road down to the pier at Brough always has provided public access to the pier, and should remain public access - even if it provides less than welcoming access to the motoring classes. I am a 'local' from Scarfskerry, and believe I did the short down and up trip with a friend from Brough.

[For those from 'away' the spelling of the village name has always been given as B R O ECH ECH. ]

Access to the shoreline, and to public assets such as piers, for the public are not a matter for public debate but are rights, and anyone claiming otherwise should be severely challenged.

PS: Anyone challenging or trying to cut off my access to Scarfskerry pier would be certainly challenged. I would temporarily move back to Scarfskerry to lead the campaign if necessary.

PPS: If I remember correctly, my local 'partner' on that short car trip down to the pier was Mervyn Sinclair from Brough.

Thumper
26-May-10, 08:16
I have been down there quite a few times on "official business" and have been challenged once and told how to do my "job" correctly! I was there with my boss,who politely explained to the man that we have every right to be there to carry out our work and that we were there because we had been asked to come,the man still wasnt very happy about it though and tried to tell us that he would do what we came to do-not happening! I cannot understand what the problem is with acessing the pier and why they wouldnt want people to go to such a wonderful place! If thye are that worried about it why are there so many "holiday homes" that are let out there?Seems like a huge case of self importance IMO x

achingale
26-May-10, 09:42
In Scotland if a pathway/road has been used for donkeys years it automatically becomes a right of way. Therefore I cannot see how anyone can stop people from using them.

northener
26-May-10, 09:57
I have been down there quite a few times on "official business" and have been challenged once and told how to do my "job" correctly! I was there with my boss,who politely explained to the man that we have every right to be there to carry out our work and that we were there because we had been asked to come,the man still wasnt very happy about it though and tried to tell us that he would do what we came to do-not happening! I cannot understand what the problem is with acessing the pier and why they wouldnt want people to go to such a wonderful place! If thye are that worried about it why are there so many "holiday homes" that are let out there?Seems like a huge case of self importance IMO x

If you're referring to the 'business' that I think you are Thumps, I find it odd that me and Mike never were challenged once in all the times we've been down there upon the same 'business'.

I wonder if it's because we're both well over 6 foot, hefty guys and have short tempers when challenged?;)

Keep up the good work, girl.

Boozeburglar
26-May-10, 10:20
Is it the git that lives at the top that is causing all the hassle? I was down on the slip myself a few years back as he came in in his boat and he told me to move, rather than asking. I laughed at him and ignored him, leaving only once we had finished our picnic.

There is plenty of room to turn a car down there, I have been down launching boats before so without a trailer yer fine.

If he hassles me again he is getting his fore and aft down his throat. :)

Thumper
26-May-10, 15:42
If you're referring to the 'business' that I think you are Thumps, I find it odd that me and Mike never were challenged once in all the times we've been down there upon the same 'business'.

I wonder if it's because we're both well over 6 foot, hefty guys and have short tempers when challenged?;)

Keep up the good work, girl.

Yip you are spot on there Northerner,and no doubt it was because i aint over 6 foot and a heafty bloke,although i can hold my own when pushed ;):lol: x

sandyr1
26-May-10, 15:51
Last year I was at a Polo for Heart (& Stroke) match selling raffle tickets to the 'Rich & Famous, and I had a name tag identifying myself as Sandy.
An elderly lady asked if I was Scottish, to which I admitted and she told me that her late Sister was the Post Mistress in Brough...Of cousre you would have no idea where that it...stated this woman. Fooled her. Nice person..Anyone knew the PM?

farnorth
10-Jul-11, 19:29
the git as you call him will not be hasseling you again as he passed away at the beginning of the year

farnorth
10-Jul-11, 19:48
i have spent many happy times staying in brough just down the road from the bay and have spent many a happy hour in the bay i have meet members of the bba carrying out matainance work and have always found them to be helpful polite and informative wheather they are incomers or born locals and the bba have done so much to make the bay fit for visitors there are now three benches for people to sit on and admire the views and an information board to explain about the fishing in the bay i come from down south in suffolk and love visiting the far north and have always been made to feel welcome when i visit

Dog-eared
10-Jul-11, 19:57
Surely you can't just form a committee and then start laying down rules regarding the use of a public place and right of way ? That can't be legal . Not in Scotland anyway...