PDA

View Full Version : Home Wireless Networking

brokencross
21-Sep-06, 16:10
My mind is in a spin regarding setting up a wireless network for my daughter.

I set one up at home using a Belkin Wireless G Router with the router connected (via ethernet cables) to the Ntl cable modem and our computer downstairs which then "wirelessly" connects around the house. No problem.

My daughter and her two pals have just rented a house in Leeds and have a Ntl cable modem and want a purely wireless network around the house. i.e. no "base computer" connected to the modem and router. (They all have wireless ready laptops and want to use them in their respective bedrooms)

First of all is it possible to have that configuration? i.e modem...router....(hey presto) wireless (without a computer "base station")

Secondly, if I can do this, what do I need to use with a cable modem...I am bamboozled by the different type of routers, access points, modem routers etc. DSL, ASDL..... ad hoc system????????!!??

Please can anyone give me some pointers for setting up a simple, fairly cheap, home wireless network.

Thanks in advance

blueivy
21-Sep-06, 18:53
Hi brokencross,

Both you and your daughters setup are the same. I'm not 100% sure how you set yours up so can you clarify if the computer downstairs is connected to the router by an network cable or whether it connects to the router wirelessly.

I'm also unsure what you mean by computer 'base station'. I have a feeling that you have set yours up slightly non-standard (it's not wrong, it can't be if it works!).

Can I say first up that I wouldn't use teh Belkin Wireless G Router as it doesn't support anything above WEP encryption which is incredibly weak, easily hacked and is just a tad pointless unless nothing else is available. Having said that it sounds like you're not technical and therefore if you are setting up the network it might be easier to go with what you know. In addition, your daughters laptop may only support WEP encryption and in that case getting anything else is pointless. If you want WPA encryption, I can suggest the 3Com Cable Router (http://www.3com.com/prod/en_UK_EMEA/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRWER100-75).

What you need to buy is the router (whichever one you choose) and set it up just as you did your own. Until you get back to me with the answers to the questions above I can't be 100% sure of what you did, however it is a simple case of setting up the router to know about the cable modem, enabling DHCP to issue addresses and it should be bang, you're in. Both routers have wizards that will guide you through all of that so if it sounds overly complicated it won't be.

If you are enabling encryption is slightly more invovled (as you need to set it up), but at the start you should leave the encryption alone until you know you're working.

Get back to me and I can give you more advice one I have the answers.

jimbews
21-Sep-06, 19:55
Can I say first up that I wouldn't use teh Belkin Wireless G Router as it doesn't support anything above WEP encryption which is incredibly weak, easily hacked and is just a tad pointless unless nothing else is available. Having said that it sounds like you're not technical and therefore if you are setting up the network it might be easier to go with what you know. In addition, your daughters laptop may only support WEP encryption and in that case getting anything else is pointless. If you want WPA encryption, I can suggest the 3Com Cable Router (http://www.3com.com/prod/en_UK_EMEA/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRWER100-75).

If at all possible WPA is definitely the way to go. Indeed if a laptop did not have WPA I'd be inclinded to install a new wireless adapter.
Although they may not want ethernet, it is recommended that if any firmware upgrades to the Router are needed use ethernet, so I like the Linksys model:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2CM7&CategorySelectedId=11177&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11177,4294959958,50468

Not to be taken as endorsement of Dabs, although we often buy there.

Quite a few of our staff on Telewest (available in Dundee, Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy) use these.

I have also used these (without the wireless enabled) as "quarantine" networks to protect new computers while they acquire the Microsoft security updates.

This is because it only needs one careless user behind a firewall (or broadband router) to place all other users at risk.

Especially important in a student environment where users tend to be rather "adventurous".

In case other parents/students are following this thread, I'd point out that, while acceptable on NTL, if students are connected to the likes of a residence network: Personally installed wireless networks are likely to result in immediate (and often lengthy) disconnection from the network.

A non-wireless router would perhaps be a good way to install multiple computers in a student residence room and would provide some protection from network attacks. Just don't quote me on that - especially if you're at St Andrews!

BUT

Remember that the NAT router can NOT protect from malicious websites/software/email attachments...

And not from other computers connected on the user side of the router.

Jim

blueivy
21-Sep-06, 23:15
Hi jimbews,

WPA is definitely the way to go or WPA2, although it's not so widely supported. I wouldn't suggest that people who have access to nothing else not bother with WEP. It may be better to use it than upgrade/get new cards for the latpops. To defeat WEP is incredibly easy (I've done it), however if you also secure it with MAC filtering and other methods it can put enough obstacles in the hackers way as to make them go onto the next 'house' to try. I wouldn't advise anybody who plays online games to use WEP as it has a large overhead (I believe WEP encryption is done in software whereas WPA has a dedicated chip) and could slow down the speed of there updates.

Ethernet it is required for configuration, which can't be done without it, and it recommended for updates (in case the connect drops).

Personally installed wireless networks are a pain for any large organisation. I was involved in a project for a Glasgow client to secure their network from unauthorised access (personally installed wireless networks and people just plugging in their own laptops). It was a very manual process though.

A NAT router is the most basic firewall you can get and will protect you from uninvited guests from the outside. When visiting a site, downloading software or opening email attachments, they are already invited in. A normal router based firewall will not prevent any of these either. Only an active personal firewall that monitors application behaviour or anti-virus software that monitors internet access and email like NOD32 (http://www.smallbusiness-it.com/products/C51) will tackle them.

blueivy
23-Sep-06, 12:25
Hi brokencross,

I noticed (in Simpsons, Wick) there were articles on wireless networking in this months PC Plus and Personal Computer World magazines. I don't know what the articles are like so can't give a thumbs up or not, but thought I'd let you know they were at least there so you can check them out.