It’s waste of time and garbage
But if not that, then what can we
Say marks us from our peers
Save deep-fried mars-bars, ginger wigs
And far too many beers?

Blimey, Have you taken over WADF?:eek:

sandyr1
20-Jun-11, 21:34
You have such a way with words.....well done-as usual!

Tubthumper
20-Jun-11, 21:35
Blimey, Have you taken over WADF?:eek:
Heh heh, change from within, that's the way to go...

Tubthumper
20-Jun-11, 22:07
You have such a way with words.....well done-as usual!
Thanks very much Sandy. But the question is a serious one: Do nothing and be part of an amorphous English-speaking blob, or encourage the development of something that might help identify us as us?

gleeber
20-Jun-11, 23:02
or encourage the development of something that might help identify us as us?
I wid be all for that. :lol:
Ive given the same thing the same thought but less poetically than tubthumper. Yor right. It is about identity and when I thought about it I realised I didnt identify with the Gaelic language in the same way as Gaels and although that may be stating the obvious its true.

theone
20-Jun-11, 23:58
Do nothing and be part of an amorphous English-speaking blob, or encourage the development of something that might help identify us as us?

For me, I've got no problems with my identity or a need to show it off.

And even if I did, writing place names in an all but dead language that I have no desire or requirement to speak wouldn't help in either case.

Perhaps a better way of identifying "us" would be to show how the traditional clans of the area, the Gunns, Mackays, Sinclairs and Sutherland fought against Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden? How about we "rise again" to defeat the rest of the Scots trying to force their ways on us?

The real issues surrounding this subject have little to do with roadsigns.

And I think the subject has been through the motions several times on here.

noodle
21-Jun-11, 00:07
I would love to see road signs up here written in the local dialect. ;)

theone
21-Jun-11, 00:12
I would love to see road signs up here written in the local dialect. ;)

Now, that would be a far better idea.

sandyr1
21-Jun-11, 01:35
I was recently in Orkney and also spoke to some Shetlanders......They don't seem to put the same importance on Scotland, as they do their Northern background.
This Gaelic thing has me wondering...Is it necessary?? I wouldn't make an opinion on it...I have been away too long. I do know that I traveled across the North when I was in my teens, and few people spoke Gaelic...maybe a few Words..and that included Melvich/Bettyhill and Scourie. My Grandfather did speak a smattering of Gaelic, and he was from the Dunbeath area, and those that he spoke were soft 'Swear Words'! That was in the 60's.
When I came to Canada in 1971 English was the main language, but now we have two official languages, the second being French....Should our second language be one that we can use....Are you having a referendum on Gaelic/ perhaps the best way to decide.

Tubthumper
21-Jun-11, 06:59
The real issues surrounding this subject have little to do with roadsigns.

And I think the subject has been through the motions several times on here.
Who mentioned roadsigns? Strange though it may seem, some activities outwith the Highland Council still happen in the area. And as i said, the organisation is highlands-wide, so the Caithness perspective is only a small part.

gleeber
21-Jun-11, 07:10
Are you having a referendum on Gaelic/ perhaps the best way to decide.
To late for a referendum sandy. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2005/7/section/1 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2005/7/section/1) The Gaelic language Act 2005 gives the Gaelic movement carte blanche to enforce the language and culture to any public body in Scotland.
Other bodies will be required to send out official letters in both English and Gaelic. Being a Gaelic speaker or sympathiser is already a requirement for some jobs in the Highlands especially in education.

Walter Ego
21-Jun-11, 07:56

Perhaps a better way of identifying "us" would be to show how the traditional clans of the area, the Gunns, Mackays, Sinclairs and Sutherland fought against Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden? How about we "rise again" to defeat the rest of the Scots trying to force their ways on us?

You can't go round quoting historical reality. It upsets the blue faced 'Freedom' idiots.;)

theone
21-Jun-11, 11:27
Who mentioned roadsigns? Strange though it may seem, some activities outwith the Highland Council still happen in the area. And as i said, the organisation is highlands-wide, so the Caithness perspective is only a small part.

Sorry, you are correct, I didn't realise this went beyond roadsigns.

In answer to your original question then, no, I wouldn't make your signs English/Gaelic.

Nobody that could understand the Gaelic wouldn't understand the English.

Bazeye
21-Jun-11, 11:29
The way things are in the UK at the moment its only a matter of time before everything is multi lingual, Polish, Urdu, Bengali etc..etc....

ducati
21-Jun-11, 11:45
Take a leaf out the Welsh's book. They have a very sucsessful multi lingual signage scheme.

So..........do the signs in welsh :confused

oldmarine
21-Jun-11, 15:17
Bilingual... It depends on what languages you are bilingual in and where you are. I live among many Hispanic people where it would help me to be bilingual. While in American Samoa during WW2 I learned the Samoan language. Living where I do now, Samoan language does not help me.

Tubthumper
21-Jun-11, 16:45
Why do we bother wearing kilts for special occasions? Why is bagpipe music still popular? Both are modern adaptations of major aspects of the life of the Northern Scot from history. Irrelevant today perhaps, but still in common use. Pointless in many ways, but still popular. Nothing whatsoever to do with Edinburgh or Glasgow yet still frequently seen and heard there, as in Wick & Thurso

I've been racking what's left of my brains trying to think of an example to clarify what I'm getting at..

Consider The Argylle And Sutherland Highlanders. They carry out their main job wearing the same uniform as everyone else in the British Army. Yet they have kilts, tartan and distinctive badges which mark them out as separate from the whole. The 'local' aspect is a big thing in the regimental system even today.

If they, as Highlanders, rejected the use of Gaelic in their motto and the signs around their barracks, why should they not bin bagpipes and kilts as well?

sandyr1
21-Jun-11, 17:08
No T.......I understand the language is apparently one which is difficult to learn altho'., after Googling it I find that lots of people are learning it....from Scotland, to East Coast Canada down into the US....So perhaps there is a revival....
In North America, i.e. Canada & the US, Kilts and Bagpipes are quite a tradition at Funerals, Weddings and any other Major Celebration.
I got a shock at my Retirement when the powers that be brought in a Police Pipe Band......and they were good. And we all had a few drammies ....well I was supposed to show them how it was done!
And I and the many Scots I know are extremely proud to be of that particular heritage.....ex Pats as we are called.

theone
21-Jun-11, 17:29
Why do we bother wearing kilts for special occasions? Why is bagpipe music still popular? Both are modern adaptations of major aspects of the life of the Northern Scot from history. Irrelevant today perhaps, but still in common use. Pointless in many ways, but still popular. Nothing whatsoever to do with Edinburgh or Glasgow yet still frequently seen and heard there, as in Wick & Thurso

I've been racking what's left of my brains trying to think of an example to clarify what I'm getting at..

Consider The Argylle And Sutherland Highlanders. They carry out their main job wearing the same uniform as everyone else in the British Army. Yet they have kilts, tartan and distinctive badges which mark them out as separate from the whole. The 'local' aspect is a big thing in the regimental system even today.

If they, as Highlanders, rejected the use of Gaelic in their motto and the signs around their barracks, why should they not bin bagpipes and kilts as well?

If they chose to do so, it would be about choice. In the same way I choose to wear a kilt. I can pick and choose which parts of my history I want to adopt, and which traditions I want to follow. So can they.

There’s a big difference between tradition and history though, and to suggest we can’t lose Gaelic whilst keeping the kilt is just wrong.

I’ve researched my family tree and found some Gaelic speaking crofting ancestors. They slept a family of 7 in a 2 roomed house without plumbing.

I’ve chosen not to follow their historical practices or living arrangements, but I’ll keep their bagpipes and kilt.

Tubthumper
21-Jun-11, 18:27
Surely the Argylle & Sutherland Highlanders can't be permitted to pick and choose what they wear? And what would the world make of a Highland Regiment that dropped Highland dress?

I suppose that's part of what I'm on about - it's not about what we ourselves think as individuals; as far as National institutions is concerned its about the face we show the world.

I don't intend to learn Gaelic beyond perhaps a few choice words, it's no big deal to me personally. But on becoming responsible for a small part of our heritage, I'm sure that most people would find themselves considering past, present and future and the place of our Nation in the world.

ducati
21-Jun-11, 22:02
Surely the Argylle & Sutherland Highlanders can't be permitted to pick and choose what they wear? And what would the world make of a Highland Regiment that dropped Highland dress?

I suppose that's part of what I'm on about - it's not about what we ourselves think as individuals; as far as National institutions is concerned its about the face we show the world.

I don't intend to learn Gaelic beyond perhaps a few choice words, it's no big deal to me personally. But on becoming responsible for a small part of our heritage, I'm sure that most people would find themselves considering past, present and future and the place of our Nation in the world.

I used to work with a Warrant Officer in the A.S.H. What they got up to in their dress uniforms at some of their shindigs would make your hair curl. :eek:

sandyr1
24-Jun-11, 23:36
To those who want to find out more about the Gaelic spoken in Caithness.....

Go to kistoriches.com Brilliant Site....Tks to Rich...........