PDA

View Full Version : Take That at Hampden

Jamboree
20-Jun-11, 20:12
Can anyone give me any tips about what to do once we come out of Hampden after the concert regarding best way to get back to Edinburgh? We're getting a lift to Hampden. Not sure what time it will finish probably near 11pm - don't want too much hassle re travel back to Edinburgh .. so what's the best - bus or train? Don't want any changes at different stations.

horse
20-Jun-11, 22:46
http://www.happybus.co.uk/

try this lot, but remember just getting out of the stadium is a nightmare

theone
21-Jun-11, 00:10
The last train from Glasgow Queen Streeet to Haymarket leaves at 11.30pm.

Hampden is about 45 minutes walk, so depending on when the concert finishes you may or may not make it.

You can pretty much forget getting a taxi anywhere near the stadium.

There's also buses from Buchanan street to Edinburgh at half 11 and last one a minute to midnight.

horse
21-Jun-11, 13:29
Hate to be a party pooper but its hard enough getting anywhere after concert never mind edinburgh, taxis won't go near stadium and ones who hang around near it took the eyes out of us.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/mfl/details.html (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/mfl/details.html)

try this train station five minute walk

stixie
21-Jun-11, 17:00
Somehow i walked out of Take That at Hampden two years ago straight into a taxi, i left maybe 10 mins before actual closure, but could see the fireworks as good if not better than in the stadium.

I also went back two weeks later to the Eagles and drove to the stadium, got parked about a 5 min walk away and got out really easy aswell!

I think though i just had two really lucky experiences. So maybe leave very slightly early if you want to miss the masses, but there were taxis swarming everywhere at the stadium, and buses. Back to Glasgow centre that is. You'd need to get another taxi/bus/train to Edinburgh

Jamboree
21-Jun-11, 22:08
Thanks everyone, thinks I may have got it sussed now!

Cheers

speedo215
22-Jun-11, 06:32
hampden is a mightmare to get away from when there is something big on due to the fact it is in the middle of houses, avoid mount florida railway station and use kings park railway station instead, its to the south of the station and a lot quieter

Jamboree
25-Jun-11, 19:55
Just thought I'd report that I had a fab time at Take That - Robbie made all the difference - great night - but OMG Hampden IS a nightmare to get away from at 11pm at night. Took us until 2am to get back to Edinburgh (in own car!!!). Was stuck in the ASDA carpark nearby :lol:with honking horns and - honestly - someone singing Opera at 1am in the morning!!! Thought we were never going to get out of Glasgow.:)

stekar
26-Jun-11, 19:36
Take That were fantastic, but Hampden was a nightmare. Got stuck in traffic and took about one and a half hours to get there from the hotel at CUmbernauld. No signs for a car park and the marshalls were very unhelpful. Eventually got to a car park behind asda (asda had a sign saying no stadium parking?) and heard the Pet Shop Boys that had apparently just started. Got charged a fiver to park on a public open space.....Walked up to Hampden, we were in block F7 so headed to where the signs pointed for F to be sent back down the hill, along the road, back upto the stadium and the turnstile numbers were actually for block G! By the time we got in and saw the stage the Pet Shop Boys were just finished. Miffed as wanted to see them too. Also a nightmare getting away afterwards.
I really don't think I'd go see them at Hampden again as it was a horrendous experience, though I would love to see them if they did any more gigs.