PDA

View Full Version : Beware Avast Problems

Shabbychic
20-Jun-11, 17:10
I know I should probably put this in the computer section, but folks usually only go there once they have a problem. Hopefully this information may prevent it.

The other day I updated my Avast free Anti-Virus, and my Windows went haywire. I had trouble even booting up, and many windows functions refused to work.

I found this site (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/E2F066B3-2517-41BC-8FAD-4C036F2F4AC8), and downloaded the Avast removal tool. I could not get my control panel to work, when I attempted to uninstall Avast. I booted up in safe mode then used the removal tool, and all is now well. There is also advice on other free anti-virus tools to download.

Avast refuse to acknowledge that this issue exists, but believe me, it does.

bekisman
20-Jun-11, 17:26
Had exactly the same problem, so gave up and tried 'Microsoft Security Essentials" free - very pleased with it too..

Beat Bug
20-Jun-11, 17:55
I've had no problems with Avast, and I have it on my laptop which runs on Windows Vista, and on my desktop which runs on Windows XP professional.

Shabbychic
21-Jun-11, 00:20
I've had no problems with Avast, and I have it on my laptop which runs on Windows Vista, and on my desktop which runs on Windows XP professional.

Maybe it is just certain computers it affects. Mine worked fine until I installed the latest update.

I have also found my computer starts up much quicker now with my new anti-virus.

RecQuery
21-Jun-11, 10:06
Yeah stuff like this happens quite a lot even with pay-for products, it's always good to wait a few days before rolling out updates (unless it's some critical security thing) Ideally the company would do more expensive testing, but that's not going to happen.

oldmarine
21-Jun-11, 15:09
I question anything that comes free. Think about the money and effort that goes into developing these programs. Offering them free does not make any good sense. There's bound to be a problem with anything that is offered free after spending money, time & effort.