PDA

View Full Version : Convertions

veekay
20-Jun-11, 14:45
Can anyone out there tell me how to convert from US cups to imperial or at a push metric weights and also liquid measure. Thanks

Tatbabe
20-Jun-11, 14:58
google weights conversion ...

RecQuery
20-Jun-11, 15:01
1 US cup is 8 fl oz
1 Imperial cup is 1.2 US cups

1 US cup is 240 ml (236.5 ml)
1 Imperial cup is 284 ml

With any luck that helps.

George Brims
20-Jun-11, 17:27
The US pint is 16 fluid ounces, and a cup is half a pint or 8 ounces. A UK cup measure is half an imperial pint, so ten ounces. So you would think the above answer was wrong and an imperial cup would be exactly 1.25 times a US cup. However the US insists somehow on weighing water at a different temperature so the US fluid ounce is 1.041 Imperial fluid ounces, hence the 1.2 quoted above is right.

badger
20-Jun-11, 18:46
Website I used to use seems to have disappeared but this one has most things, although not US cups
http://www.infoplease.com/pages/unitconversion.html

redeyedtreefrog
20-Jun-11, 21:42
Google does it, type "4 cups in grams" or whatever and it'll come up with the conversion.

Tilter
20-Jun-11, 22:27
There's no need to convert. If I'm using an American recipe, I just make sure I use the same cup or mug (you can make sure it holds about 8 oz full to the brim if you want) for all the ingredients. Simples. Not sure but I think they started using "cups" as it's so simple - no need to cart scales along in your covered wagon )