PDA

View Full Version : haloween and america

brandy
02-Nov-04, 09:08
ok the reason i am posting this here and not on the haloween msg is because i want everyone who wrote those nasty remarks to read this. First IM AMERICAN and what you guys generalized is not true at all... there is nothing wrong with trick or treating..
and all we ever said was Trick Or Treat.. we never even heard of poems or anything.. and yes you DO go out with your parents or an adult because it is YOUNG children whom go trick or treating.. and any Responsible parent would not let their young child out at night alone. I took my little boy who is not two yet and he had a ball... and yes he did just stand at the door.. well he tried to get into all the houses.. but you ever thought small chilldrem may be shy?
at least in America we are not mean spirited about holidays.. and our children are not little hooligans who run loose in the streets and reak havock as some do over here.
This has really bothered me.. as some of you who know absolutly nothing about the american culture can get on here and run your mouth about something you know nothing about.. and before you say anything about me saying things on this board rmember i have lived in wick for years and do know about the culture and how things go..
you should be ashamed of yourselves for putting down on something you know nothing about.. my family this halloween back home went and helped out at our church where every halloween we have stalls with treats and hay rides and haunted houses.. in a safe enviroment for the children.. and our children know that we will always be there with them. Geeze im just going to stop here.. because im going to loose my temper in a moment of your small midnessness .. and just a note this is not to everyone just those who are total jerks running off at the mouth being total idiots
and i know i will get slagged off over this responce but this time i dont care.. im tired of being told how bad americans are.. you need to look to your own doors first

scotsboy
02-Nov-04, 11:17
My wee lassie went out Trick or Treating yesterday as well Brandy - many of our neighbours are American and they put a fantastic effort into the treats. Tables were set up outside each house with assortments of sweets, fruit, nuts etc for the kids and the tables were supervised by the household members all dressed in costumes - significantly more effort went into it than anything I have seen at Halloween in Caithness.

I must admit to not liking the "Trick or Treat" name tag, but that is because I am a pedantic old traditionalist. The whole trick or treat thing does seem to have been taken out of context in the UK, however before this was the case - there was always mischief and wrong doing going on at Halloween.

Never mind Brandy - I am on your side..........and what happens at halloween in Wick anyway? Do people wear normal clothes for a change and take their false faces off.

2little2late
02-Nov-04, 12:29
Maybe Osama Bin Laden has been trick or treating in America too.

After all he is U.S.A's bogey man.

linzy222
02-Nov-04, 13:35
I remember as a little girl i lived in Brechin and there was one part of the town where all the americans stayed, and at halloween i think every1 went there, they were so generous and their houses were done up really good, they made a big big effort for the kids and familys

I was just telling my kids the other day about how good it was and they would have party games for the kids aswell, it was ace,and not just for the kids but the adults to!!

Pity more folk weren't like that!!

The Angel Of Death
02-Nov-04, 13:39
at least in America we are not mean spirited about holidays.. and our children are not little hooligans who run loose in the streets and reak havock as some do over here.

Naw none of that over in the states thats why america is the eutopia of the world everyone wants to live there infact im off there tomorrow with the hooligans in tow as well

Nowhere is perfect everywhere has there own "little problems"

linzy222
02-Nov-04, 13:40
forgot to mention, also if the person wasn't in they would leave a big bowl of sweeties at the door so u would get something from them even if they weren't in

Just shows how generous they are!!

JammyDodger69
02-Nov-04, 13:48
My wife goes mad at Halloween, she does the whole hallway up and when the kids come in she jumps out and scares them..

Funny to watch, if I can find the pics I'll post them sometime..

JAWS
02-Nov-04, 14:37
Brandy, well said, very well said indeed.

It’s easy for people to blame a “foreign culture” for what is a local problem. Everything was said about that attitude by the use of the phrase “American English” which is a new one to me. I’ve heard a lot about Irish Americans and Scots Americans and their culture but “English Americans”, do they have a particular “culture” other than in perhaps a couple of small enclaves? When did anybody last hear of a St. George’s Day Parade on the Streets of New York!
I’ve heard the English blamed for all Scotland’s problems and I’ve heard Americans blamed for just about every other problem in the World so I suppose putting the two together as the ultimate excuse for a local problem had to come, after all we can’t be at fault.

Just because local children twist and abuse someone else’s culture is not the fault of the originators.

Stop looking for excuses for your own children’s behaviour buy blaming other cultures. Remember “Trick or Treat” is exactly that, a choice, and if it is not then it is simply a “Give me” demand.

Children “performing” at Halloween is not the norm anywhere else that I know of, I always thought that was a Christmas Tradition called “Carol Singing”.

Stick with it Brandy. It’s wonderful for somebody to correct a twisted version of their culture.

tides of pentland firth
03-Nov-04, 00:33
what you guys generalized

The issue is not about whether 'Trick or Treating' or Guising is right or not. It's about our Scots culture being diluted. I'm proud of my Scottish culture. Mabey people who arent native dont understand this. We fought in WW2 so we would not have to speek German. We fought to English, they banned bag pipes and tartan.
How would us Scots (or the Scotch) feel if Highland games died out in favor of [insert similar foreign tradition] or we drank JD instead of a fine single malt?
'When in Rome do as the Romans do'
I'm sure the Americans would not like it if all the red necks or New Yorkers started talking with a Mexican accent or a Chineese one.
Also it's sad when ou see the MacDollalds and KFC in places like Cambodia and Thiland and other exotic places. Why not keep exotic places exotic.

This mabey sentimental pap to somepeople but I feel Scottish people feel strongly about their unique culture and traditions and we must fight to preserve them. The world wouldn't be very intertesting if it was all the same.

scotsboy
03-Nov-04, 05:00
:confused I thought that "we" fought the second World War against fascism.

Pray tell the difference between Trick or Treat and Guising - what particular piece of Scottish tradition is being lost by keeping your lights off, and not being hospitable to children?

JAWS
03-Nov-04, 13:46
Sorry Tides do try and get it right occasionally.

There were more Scots fighting for King George than there was for Bonnie Clown Charlie who ran away and abandonned the highlanders to their fate.

And if it's when in Rome do as Rome does then surely when in New York do as the New Yorkers do and stop the silly parades on St Andrews Day. Neither the Kilt, the Bagpipes or St Andrew have the least bit to do with America.

Tides, you rwally must learn a little tollerance. America was founded by people escaping from your sort of intollerance. They are quite happy to let the Scots and the Irish do their thing on their Saints Days yet you object to Trick or Treat which is what you call Guising, others call Mischief Night and no doubt there are various other names for the same thing.

We are quite willing to accept Chinese Fast Food, Asian Fast Food, Turkish Fast Food but McDonalds should be banned just because it's American. If you consider McDonalds such a problem then tough, you stay away and let others make their own choice.

scotsboy
03-Nov-04, 13:57
Interesting book for you Tides - Born Fighting, how the Scots-Irish shaped America These are the people that gave the USA most of its Presidents........wonder what the American Indians make of trick or treat.

tides of pentland firth
03-Nov-04, 20:13
Sorry Tides do try and get it right occasionally.

Cut me some slack, it was quarter to twelve on a school night an I was in a bad mood.

Anyway I only used America as an example, it could be any country, but America is the most prominnent. Also I'm not so sharp on my history (probably not living as long as you Jaws and not witnessing it ;) ) but u kent what I ment about fighting for your own identity etc.
Are the people wanting a Galic channel waisting their time?
Also, New York is not a fair example. It is probably the most culturally diverse city on the planet (this is great in its own way) and I regret using it as an example.
I dont belive its a case of being tollerent either. I have nothing at all against individual Americans or any other Johny Foreigners. What I am not for, is Americanism swamping the world (never heed saying the Scots forged America. That is unrealevant. That was a long time ago, this is now).

Imagine a Macdonnalds on Barra or Coll.

ŠAmethyst
03-Nov-04, 20:39
but you ever thought small chilldrem may be shy?

Yeah, little kids. Kids get made to talk infront of strangers every day. At school etc. but many kids round here go trick-or-treating or whatever when they're old enough and ugly enough to learn a joke... humour us! Call us folks with 'stiff upper lips' an' all... but kids are kids and it brings a smile ,to my face at least, to see that they're putting their brains to use by learning a poem instead of playing mindnumbing computer games day-in-day-out.

what you guys generalized is not true at all...

...our children are not little hooligans who run loose in the streets and reak havock as some do over here.

Who's generalising now. Such generalisations may seem like racism (the 'we're better than you' type) to some.

you should be ashamed of yourselves for putting down on something you know nothing about..

Codswallop!

Who said we know nothing about Hallowe'en? Its origins actually lie in the history of the British Isles.

being told how bad americans are..

Not bad... just stereotyped... at times I even see the stereotype when I read a certain post by a certain American.

you need to look to your own doors first

May I suggest that you learn about the origins of something before claiming that it was an American idea? Doors... doors!

brandy
03-Nov-04, 21:38
did i ever once say halloween was an american idea? no i dont think that i did..
But as my little boy is only a year and a half i dont think he will be saying any lines..
and your right children shouldnt play video games all day .. i know we never did and my children wont.. children are a product of their enviroment.. if their parents let them play videos all day then that is what they will do.
and no i wasnt generalising.. i was stating a plain fact when i said some kids over here do run loose in the streets like hooligans.. because they do.. ive seen it..
what do you call it when 10-11 year olds push past and knock into little old laddies and men at lunch time.. and then the teenagers at 14 getting into pubs and getting drunk out of their minds.. and you cant even walk down the street at night in the winter without being shouted at or attacked.. IE when i was preggers the first time.. (7 mntsat the time) a group of boys at safeways started pelting me with snowballs and chasing around me.. now you tell me what kind of children is this town raising when your children attack heavily pregnant women? hmmm? all in good fun is it?
or how about when they put dead birds in peoples front doors like they did neighbors of mine.. and the police will do nothing? or they throw stones and eggs at windows at your house . funny thing its allways old or defensless people they do it to as well... but no im just genralising thats all.. so yes i do find the behaviour here bad.. and i have made several comments on it and if you choose to close your eyes to it thats your fault. But I have lived here and i Have seen it .... thats what i was speaking of.. those were downing a culture they knew nothing about.. yes America has its bad parts places i would never go in a million years but i can tell you what its like where im from and its a whole lot more settled in family values here.. where im from our children Do NOT talk back do not treat their elders badly or any of the previous things i have mentioned..
but then in my family and the people i was raised around we were taught respect and manners.

JAWS
03-Nov-04, 21:49
And why not a McDonalds on Barra or Coll Tides, it might just drag them into the Nineteenth Century.

As for Scottish Traditions, Highland Dancing was stolen from the Irish, as was the Gaelic, as was the Clan System.

And if you look at the original kilt then I think you will find that the Romans had that centuries before the Scots invaded Pictland, only the Romans called it the Toga.

And ask for that great symbol of Scotland the Bagpipes just about every Near Eastern Country had them whilst we were still painting ourselves with woad to frighten the bairns.

Not forgetting the Traditional Highland Dress invented by the Victorians and the English Victorians at that.

Now, about keeping Scots Culture undiluted .....

tides of pentland firth
03-Nov-04, 22:53
Brandy,

If it's so crap here why are you still here. Cant the American Embassy give you a free flight back to the states.

If you are saying that you were attacked by youths in Wick outside Safeways while you were pregnant during the day, I don't believe you. Yes, you here of people slashing car tyres every so ofter in the groat but occational things like that are part of life in all parts of the country today. Saying it's not safe to walk down the street in Wick is total rubbish and anyone who has lived here for more that a couple of hours can vouch for that. We have one of the lowest crime rates in the country in the Highlands and I'm not sure you actually live here.

squidge
04-Nov-04, 01:35
way hay folks

Tides - Brandy is right there are plenty of kids knocking about who could do with a lesson in manners. The kids do walk mob handed into the town at lunchtimes although i am not so sure they are being ill mannered in not moving out of the way more like they are single mindedly focused on getting food which, Brandy - as you will find out when your delightful 18 month old child becomes a surly and uncooperative teenager- is the usual way they approach anything offering food. You will get trampled in the rush too!!! There are 14 year olds getting drunk although thats rarely in the pub and mostly in the street. There are kids who, particularly at kick ee doorie night, will throw eggs although in my experience of this its usually teachers houses that are targetted rather than old folk.

Where i disagree with you Brandy is that painting Wick as somewhere you cannot walk down the street at night is plainly ridiculous. This is one of the safest places to live in the UK. You are very lucky that you are there. The behaviour you talk about is more mischievous or naughty than downright BAD and, again in my experience, a strong word and a firm hand will usually make them stop their carry on and behave.

In addition when making comments about family values and the way children are brought up then maybe you should remember this is a different culture. I know we speak the same language... well ish... but the ins and outs of manners and relationships within families are based on a different culture than the one you are used to. What passes as acceptable in America may not be here and also what is common here may not be what you are used to. Dont be so quick to judge Brandy. This is the Far North of Scotland remember and their ways are maybe different, maybe rougher, maybe less gushing than you are used to. Open your eyes and look and you may find under the rough exterior there is genuine warmth affection and discipline.

Finally a little tolerance goes a long way and all of us should rememeber that and be nice.

brandy
04-Nov-04, 07:18
tides..
why cant i leave? do you think that i dont want to? its not as easy as that... i could buy my own ticket home.. BUT i have a husband whom i love.. ie the reason i am here.. and two small children.. do you think i can just up and leave?
i would be home so fast it would make your head spin if i could !
Im sorry but i hate this place, and i cant help it if that makes you mad.
you would probably feel the same way about where i come from.
most people here are nice.. except for the small mindnessness the atheism and the Yobs. and i dont care if you belive me or not.. but yes when i was seven months preggers i did have a group of boys throwing snowballs at me.. as i walked to safeway .. it was in the back car park..
ive lived in this ttown for 5 years now.. and while i have met some lovley people ive not had an easy time at all... you have no idea what its like to be ridiculed about your religion , your beliefs, how you want to rasie your children, it seems everything i say or do someone has something negative to say about it.. because its not the way it should be done.. now if you have been treated that way im sorry for saying you dont know how it is.. and you should understand what im saying... but you are absoultly ridiculous in saying why dont i just get on a plane and go home.. what do you expect me to do leave my husband and children behind?
do me a favor.. just for a min.. imagine yourself living in a whole dif country ... one that is so totally alien to you that you have no idea what to do.. that you have no close family or friends .. and no one but your partner to lean on. pretend you have nothing in common with the people around you .. and everything you have ever known dosent apply where you are now. live that life for a while and see how you feel....
im so sick and tired of people trying to say .. why dont you go home? why dont you get out and do things? why dont you fit in more.. if you just made the effort...
well i have made one heck of an effort and its not easy... this from someone who has never had a problem making friends.. but now find it so hard to have a single best friend .. some one to hang out with and have girlly talk with..
oh dont get me wrong i have several friends but no one i can call up and say hi what the crack.. you want to come over tonight? you want to go out for lunch? funny what people take for granted until they dont have it anymore....

JAWS
04-Nov-04, 09:26
Brandy,

If it's so crap here why are you still here. Cant the American Embassy give you a free flight back to the states.

Well said Tides what delightful sentiments. Now substitute "Black", "Asian", "Chinese", or any number of other races, nationalities or religions in place of American and see what happens!

If your attitude is the sort of thing Brandy or any other people from outwith the County has had to tolerate then I'm not surprised she is unhappy.

Fortunately for Caithness, Tides, you are in the smallest minority which exists in the County, the Narrow Minded Bigot.

Caithness is one of the most welcoming places there is and people with your attitude to outsiders are fortunately almost non-existent.

If tou are a Caithnessian then please, for the sake of the County, don't ever tell anybody! Your attitude is not sp much a disgrace to Caithness or even to Scotland, it is a disgrace to Humanity.

squidge
04-Nov-04, 11:33
Brandy

It can take a while to make friends and i know its hard but you should not give up making the effort. I was without a best friend for 10 years now I have a lovely friend and i value her so much. It will come Brandy but it might take a wee while. Dont stop trying. Its hard sometimes to know how people here feel and care and they are often shyer and more self contained than we who are not from Caithness expect. I know that when i felt the most alone i have felt in my whole life i was amazed at the warmth and genuine affection i received from people who i never knew cared so much about me and what happened to me. I was touched by their thoughtfulness and i was grateful for their help and support. Without it i would have really really struggled and who knows where i would have been today. Even today and its getting on for three years ago now it still brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye to think about it and they have my eternal gratitude.

The important thing Brandy is to make the move - even if you dont know how it would be received then phone and say " would you like to come for lunch".

Tides - that was a mean thing to say about going home. You would have been better if you had said " How about we meet for a coffee and have a chat" Maybe you might have found a new friend and learnt about tolerance

angemonster
04-Nov-04, 12:19
I am completely apalled at the attitude of some people in this messageboard.

What is with everyone slagging off caithnessian people. This post started with brandy being outraged at american people being put down but she has done the exactly same to caithnessian people.

Not all caithnessian children or like this and it isn't always the way they are brought up so why take their family ideas into things. Do you know any of these childrens families? To be honest where I live in Wick (and have lived for 20 years) and the kids that cause the problems in the area are not even from wick or thurso.

My whole family has lived in wick and none of my family act in this way. we are all respecful to our elders and behave quite well. So it is not all caithnessian people who are not respectful like people where you are from brandy.

As for the comment on you are sick of atheism. you mentioned you don't like people saying things about you because of your beliefs well if you don't believe in religion you shouldn't be penialised either and by doing this you are no better than the people you are talking about.[/quote]

ŠAmethyst
04-Nov-04, 14:51
I don't have much of a say where Wick's concerned. I don't really know the attitudes of the children there. But can I just say that I've worked with children in the Thurso area, and only one of them has ever given me any cheek... and she's my own sister. I think most children in Caithness have been brought up rather well and are mild-mannered.

All the children I've had the pleasure of working with have minded their p's and q's, and for that alone, I'm happy to say I live in this area.

Brandy, please think - at least we don't have Colombine shootings and drive-by's here.

Henrik7
04-Nov-04, 15:18
I think the majority of children are not that bad but there is the minority of kids that break into cars, houses and vandalise peoples properties. It is always the same names in the papers who are up at the court, Wick is definately not as safe as it once was.

Wasn't there a time where you could go down the street and leave your door open and not worry, I'd say its far from that now. Drugs is even more available here than ever, I've had a few people ask me if I wanted anything in particular in pubs at weekends.

Why don't people just leave Brandy alone. I remember when I was on crutches after a serious injury and I had little kids who thought it was funny to throw snow balls at me.

ŠAmethyst
04-Nov-04, 17:27
From the way I see it, Henrik7, it's not about snowballs and medical conditions... the discussion seems to be about the pot calling the kettle black.

JAWS
04-Nov-04, 19:29
No Amethyst, it's about people who are quite willing to throw abuse at minorities but who scream "How dare you!" when somebody in a minority retaliates in like manner.

I notice that none of those who are so busy putting Brandy in her place seem to have bothered to find out why she feels the way she does.

If one or two of the attitudes posted on the board are anything to go by then I can well understand her feeling the way she does.

ŠAmethyst
04-Nov-04, 20:33
I'm going to do it again - sorry guys.

bye

tides of pentland firth
04-Nov-04, 21:24
JAWS,

You have taken my words right out of context.
If I had said, "Can't the Black Embassy, give you free tickets home", that really would have made sense. I did not tell her to go home. I am happy with people form other cultures living here, aslong as they dont push house prices up too much.
Brandy said she was unhappy and I mearly ment to ask why she did not go home. I am sorry if I put it a little harshly. She gave me an answer and I can symathise with her now. As I previosly said, I have no problem with individual Americans or any other nationality on this planet. Small minded and a bigot are the very things I am not. If Brandy moved in next door I would invite her in and try to make a friendship.
How dare call me a Biggot. You are just a forum Nazi Jaws, twisting my words and using them to slander me.
You think you are so important, dont you. Typing away at your little computor, passing comment about anything and everything, airing your half conjuncted views about people you dont even know. Well what good has it done anyone. Ill tell you, squat. Why don't you save your moral issues for Amnesty International or something and do some good for the world, because right now you are just waisting the electricity going into your computor.

JAWS
04-Nov-04, 22:48
Brandy,

If you are saying that you were attacked by youths in Wick outside Safeways while you were pregnant during the day, I don't believe you. Yes, you here of people slashing car tyres every so ofter in the groat but occational things like that are part of life in all parts of the country today. Saying it's not safe to walk down the street in Wick is total rubbish and anyone who has lived here for more that a couple of hours can vouch for that. We have one of the lowest crime rates in the country in the Highlands and I'm not sure you actually live here.

My, my Tides, did I upset you?
I'm sorry if I put things a little harshly. Just so I don't twist your words they are quoted in full above. I leave it to others to decide what you were really meaning, they are just as entitled to their opinion and just as entitled to understand it in a different way to me.

Should anybody wish to disagree with my opinion please feel free to say so and please feel free to stay in Caithness after doing so.

Bigot - Obstinate and intolerant adherent of a creed or view.

Nazi - Member of the German National Socialist Party.

I didn't think it still existed having been made illegal in Germany and, believe it or not, I am not old enough to be around when it did exist. Please do try and keep any insults factual.
Neo-Nazi, Skin Head Thug or even BNP Boot-boy I would accept as factual and might even deem to be correct. I'll leave that for others to decide if that is so. Oh yes, there's one I forgot, Fascist Pig is usually a good insult too but don't forget, the Pig bit has to be said with real venom.

Amnesty International? How did they get into here?
1 They wouldn't let me near them, their reputation means too much to them, and
2 They would be more likely to want to investigate me rather than let me join.

And it's not slander, it would be libel, slander is spoken, when it is written it's libel.

And please tides, do stop wasting your time trying to insult me or even trying to irritate me because I've had professionals try and fail and I'm sorry to say it but you don't even come into the same league.
You really are slipping Tides, you missed an opportunity to mention my advanced years or even the fact that I might even be going senile, you really must try harder.

Rheghead
05-Nov-04, 12:23
The people on Barra welcomed the arrival of an enterprising Indian (something different) on their island, I am sure they would welcome a MacDonalds as well

KT
05-Nov-04, 12:37
oh my word, things are getting a bit heated in here!

I hate to butt in, but please dont shout at me or anything..

Everyone seems to have forgotten what this forum was about in the first place, Hallowe'en. When did it all get so personal and become not just a war of cultures but a complete slagging match? No need.

What many people seem to forget is that things change, and not always for the better. Im sure everyone remembers years ago when all children were nice and lovely and charming, and the world between wars and famines generally smellt of roses. And I am also sure that everybody knows lots of young people who are still nice and lovely and charming, but the fact remains, there are many who are not.

At the same time as there being no place for calling Brandy a liar, maybe she did actually come across a few bad ones, (they do exist in Wick as well as everywhere else),there is no need to blame Wick as a whole. People cannot blame the parents for how they bring up their children. Nobody can keep an eye on their child all of the time, and with drugs, bullying and generally getting in with 'the wrong crowd', even the best kids can do stupid things. Not only have I seen it happen, but I was one of those kids at one point in my life.

I think its time people stopped putting up posts here until they read what has already been written. Maybe then they will think about some of the things said. To be honest I am quite shocked at some of the posts

And just as a final note, I am probably younger than a lot of people in this forum, and I have not resorted to name calling..think about it.

JAWS
05-Nov-04, 19:40
KT, I for one don't think you are "butting in". You are as entitled to expess your opinion as anybody else so as far as I'm concerned please feel free!

phoenix
05-Nov-04, 20:38
Yep people are people the world over, take away the Nationalities, Religions, Accents, Colour, Creed, Boundaries etc, and what are you left with Human Beings, why cant we get on and stop all this slagging off. Each to his Own. I dont see Americans or English or Scottish, I see people. Some are nice some are not. :cool: You can take the man out America/England/Scotland or wherever, you cant take America etc out of the man. We are who we are.

scotsboy
06-Nov-04, 05:03
Americanism swamping the world (never heed saying the Scots forged America. That is unrealevant. That was a long time ago, this is now).

Tides please read what you wrote :lol: Oh the irony :roll:

tides of pentland firth
07-Nov-04, 00:16
Im not goin to write on here again cos I've made a pap of myself, thanks to big J. But think I did fight quite well against Jaws, for only being 14. And now I've said that no one will ever take me seriously on this forum again.
So Cherrio

scotsboy
07-Nov-04, 04:58
Not at all tides - we are all entitled to our opinions, stay onboard m8.

JAWS
07-Nov-04, 05:14
Not true Tides, I might have had a go at you but then again I didn't realise how young you were and that says a lot about your posts.

I'll be honest, I read the bit about the "long school day" and was puzzling what you did at school, the word student didn't even cross my mind. (And that's no Bull-you-know-what). I suspect a few others will be surprised as well!

I might be a thug and a bully but I hope I'm still big enough to say "Sorry" when somebody deserves it from me.

Don't give up! Stick with it! You've put up a quite a few good arguments in the past and have certainly made my mind work!

We all learn from our mistakes, so stick with it. That's how I learned, sorry, am still learnig, I can make a complete prat of myself with the rest and I've never met anyone yet who hasn't done so at some time. If you knew some of my friends they could make your hair curl with some of my Bloopers! ;)

JAWS
07-Nov-04, 06:24
And Tides, I withdraw my "Bigot " comment completely.
I now realise that the phraise you used that brought that comment was my reading more into it than you really meant.

squidge
07-Nov-04, 19:49
Tides

Hey - i never realised you were 14 either and that means i am HUGELY impressed with the stuff you have written.

Come back soon

:)

KT
09-Nov-04, 13:34
Aw, this is better! I like it when people make friends! Gives me a nice warm glow! :D

JAWS
09-Nov-04, 13:53
Who's making friends?
I just hate the thought of a worthy opponent disappearing.
I just hope Tides' wounds heal quickly so I can be given a few more clips round the ear.

ŠAmethyst
09-Nov-04, 17:11
http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/realhappy/xxrotflmao.gif

Just ignore him, KT... JAWS is just being an ol' fool as usual, aren't ya JAWS? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/silly.gif

JAWS
09-Nov-04, 17:40
Who? Little Old Me? Never, I'm just a nasty, horrible, B......., B......., B.......,

Buffoon who picks on everybody! :evil :evil :roll:

But I do try not to miss anybody out! :Razz

tides of pentland firth
09-Nov-04, 17:42
Shake hands Jaws?

I deliberately never reviled my age, as being young has the problem of people not taking you seriously. However I will continue to post under a different username and will hide away in my dark hillside lair so nobody guesses my secret identity.

And remember, where bicicles are broken or thretened by international communism. Bicycle Repair Man is ready. Ready to smash the communists...

DrSzin
09-Nov-04, 18:15
I deliberately never reviled my age, as being young has the problem of people not taking you seriously.
Indeed not. But being old means that everyone takes you seriously. Eh JAWS?

Tides, I must admit that I had no idea you were so young. Never mind, the advantage of being young is that you have plenty of time to learn. :D

Brandy, I really hope you find some friends and have a happier time soon. I sometimes think too many of we "Brits" think we know all about the US, and we think that we understand all Americans, simply because we have grown up on a diet of Americana on TV, in the movies, on the news, and in Macdonalds. And a few of us have experienced it first-hand in the theme parks of Orlando. I also think this makes us dismissive of American culture and beliefs, but I'm not quite sure why!

But I think we are mostly wrong. I really do think you don't understand a place and its people properly until you live there and experience its culture and values for yourself. Much of the US has very different culture and values from ours, and we should try to understand that and maybe even accept it. My claim is perhaps exemplified by the recent "finding" that 20% of American voters voted for Bush last week because of "his religion and his moral values". Beats me too! There's some similar stuff on the BBC News website here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3992067.stm).

I also believe that most Americans treat visting Brits much better and more respectfully than we treat them when they visit Scotland, and I am a little embarrassed about the latter. A visiting Brit in a grotty cheap motel in a grotty wee town in the middle of nowhere in the middle of Idaho will receive a much warmer welcome than an American in the equivalent Scottish town -- not going to name towns here because someone on here will probably live there!

Kenn
09-Nov-04, 19:37
HANG ON HANG ON FOLKS!

Most of The Halloween customs crossed The Atlanctic with the various groups of settlers from the fringes of these islands.Apple bobbing, throwing the peel of a fruit over your shoulder to find the initial of the one you will marry etc.Trick or Treat does not originate from Halloween but from the old medieval celebration on the 6th November called "The Day of Mischief" some where over the centuries it has got incorporated into Halloween in The United States and then re-crossed The Atlantic.
As Jaws said, we need to take a look at our customs and traditions which usually are borrowed or corrupted from others.
I will be bringing holly and ivy into the house over The Christmas period ..nowt to do with that festival it pre-dates and belongs to the customs of The Norse People but it makes the place cheery during the long dark days of winter.
So who's going "First Footing"?

If you don't like a practice/custom then don't follow it but don't denegrate those who do.

golach
09-Nov-04, 21:16
Lizz
Nah nah...its dooking no apple bobbin up here
G

JAWS
09-Nov-04, 23:25
Welcome Back Tides!

I promise only to use my bombers from now on and keep my Nukes locked in their Silos! :eek:

ŠAmethyst
11-Nov-04, 01:07
I deliberately never reviled my age, as being young has the problem of people not taking you seriously.

Now that's simply not true, tides.

I joined these boards at a little over your age... 16. Had a whale of a time. I'm now not far off being 20.

Here, they all know I can be daft (and really... I admit that I am very daft!) but they know I can sometimes make sense.

I got into a discussion about politics once where someone insinuated that teenagers - young adults don't know anything about politics. I tried to make them change their mind. If memory serves me correctly, the discussion got a little heated, pretty much like this one.

I diappeared for a short while... well, I refrained from posting anyway... am back and loving it.

It's not nice when you feel that people are ganging up on you. But it happens day in day out to all sorts of people.

You just need to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and soldier on to the days ahead of you. Put a smile on your face, and people will envy or admire you for looking like you've something to smile about.

We can't all get on with everyone. But the likes of JAWS, you'll soon learn that he's pretty harmless!

Unless he has a few Rob Roys in his system http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/wink/1bluewinky.gif lol

JAWS
11-Nov-04, 01:34
Thanks Amethyst! Now who can we gang up on next? ;)