PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me what they think this means??

kendo
18-Jun-11, 19:11
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-13809440

thank you.

joxville
18-Jun-11, 19:46
In the words of Private Fraser "We're doooomed".

latheronwheel-shambles
18-Jun-11, 19:52
I wish I could tell you what it means. It seems to says that are either going to shut up to 11 rural schools OR amalgamate all the town schools into 1 in each of the main towns in the county? 1 school in either Wick or Thurso is ludicrous, there are far too many children to put into 1 primary school in either of the towns. If the rural schools do not pay the price of the cuts and the town ones do it seems unfair. Some rural schools are way under-subscribed and have other schools within travelling distance away.

If Caithness education department are in "too advanced a stage" to back out of the changes why haven't we be told? Why do we have to read it on the internet? It has all been ifs and maybes, even from the headteachers.

It seems that the bbc are not sure what is going on up here, join the club!!

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jun-11, 20:11
rural schools are way under-subscribed with other schools not a tremendous distance away.

School Capacities taken from Highland Council paperwork presented to councilors at a meeting earlier this year. Given that 60% capacity seems to be the figure looked for by the Scottish Executive only three rural schools are below that at present.

Bower PS 60.00%
Canisbay PS 68.00%
Dunbeath PS 36.00%
Hillhead PS 81.00%
Keiss 60.00%
Lybster PS 60.00%
North Wick PS 49.00%
Pulteneytown PS 68.00%
South PS 45.00%
Thrumster PS 68.00%
Watten PS 67.00%

Castletown PS 56.00%
Crossroads PS 68.00%
Halkirk PS 53.00%
Miller Academy PS 60.00%
Mount Pleasant PS 58.00%
Pennyland PS 49.00%
Reay PS 65.00%

latheronwheel-shambles
18-Jun-11, 20:23

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jun-11, 21:38
Why would Highland Council or anyone wish to close a rural school that may be financially viable ? Indeed it would cost Highland Council more to close some rural schools than to keep them open.

Have you heard of Grant Aided Expenditure?

In the most basic of terms its cash given by The Scottish Executive to councils such as Highland Council to support rural primary schools (numbers under 50) which are often seen as vital to maintain rural communities.

The money equates to quite a considerable amount of money per child which will be clawed back to the big Scottish Executive pot and redistributed should Highland Council close some rural schools.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jun-11, 21:51
Oh as well as financially viable I forgot to say educationally viable. At the heart of any review should be the education of the children.

oldmarine
19-Jun-11, 16:51
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-13809440

thank you.

I can't speak for this one, but we have schools in the USA being closed down due to budget problems. The recession (world wide?) has impacted too many areas in which we became dependent.

brandy
19-Jun-11, 18:38
they cant keep our schools open.. yet prisons have everything that our children do not..

sids
19-Jun-11, 20:22
they cant keep our schools open.. yet prisons have everything that our children do not..

Like chanties?

brandy
19-Jun-11, 20:33
like free education, internet, tv, equipment, latest books, library and other things our children should have before criminals.
as an aside.. i have also read that they get paid for any work they do and that they are fighting for the right to vote..
so much for loosing privilege!

roadbowler
20-Jun-11, 00:42
It means, BIG society. Encouraging parents to start new schools. That's what it all makes me think of; conservative agenda. Big Society by force rather than embrace. Amalgamation at the level of shutting 11 schools in the county sounds insane to me and could be potentially very damaging to rural communities throughout Caithness

Metalattakk
20-Jun-11, 02:04
like free education, internet, tv, equipment, latest books, library and other things our children should have before criminals.
as an aside.. i have also read that they get paid for any work they do and that they are fighting for the right to vote..
so much for loosing privilege!

They also get Belgian chocolates delivered weekly, straight from Cocoa Mountain (and not the cheap rubbish either) and free goes on the National Lottery.

The really bad criminals get free corporate tickets to the Cup Final, and they get to nip out to the pub and put all their drinks on tick.

Oh, and they all get a pony, too.

Unlike you though Brandy, they don't have to read the Daily Mail every day.

RecQuery
20-Jun-11, 09:04
They also get Belgian chocolates delivered weekly, straight from Cocoa Mountain (and not the cheap rubbish either) and free goes on the National Lottery.

The really bad criminals get free corporate tickets to the Cup Final, and they get to nip out to the pub and put all their drinks on tick.

Oh, and they all get a pony, too.

Unlike you though Brandy, they don't have to read the Daily Mail every day.

LOL, arguably prisoners are better behaved that most children also.

Anyway on a more serious note why must everything on this forum be brought down to a this or that zero-sum choice. You can have good schools and good prisoners. There are much better targets for criticism and funding redistribution that supposedly luxurious prisons.

NickInTheNorth
20-Jun-11, 09:13
1 school in either Wick or Thurso is ludicrous, there are far too many children to put into 1 primary school in either of the towns.

By what criteria are there too many children for one primary school in either Wick or Thurso?

lindsaymcc
20-Jun-11, 10:06
Surely depends on the size of the school they build to accommodate all the primary aged children in Wick or Thurso?

I wouldnt say it isnt possible to build a super sized school, but looking round the town (Thurso) it just makes me wonder where they would build it, and then the issues of how the kids would get to school, as I think a lot of kids are well within walking distance at the moment, and would the new school have the available space for those who have to drive, to safely park to pick up their children.

Personally, I cant see them closing all the schools and building a new one purely on the cost, but I do think there will be closures. I guess all we can do is wait and see!