PDA

View Full Version : Thurso's Royal Visit

WeeBurd
20-Sep-06, 20:22
Well, at least I assume it must have been something as important as that to merit the amazing sites in Thurso's Somerfields today around 4:30pm...

Every shelf fully stocked, including the sandwich chiller (this late in the day?!)
Every special offer AVAILABLE (yes, no empty shelves on the B1G1F offers!)
Exceptionally cheerful checkout staff*
Plenty of floorwalkers, to offer advice and assistance
Even free drams on the go

I'm not knocking them. Far from it, it was a breath of fresh air, a pleasure to shop there... just wish it was always like that. If they can do it for some bigwigs visiting (I'm guessing that's what it was really for), why can't they do it all the time?:confused

* Would just like to add, the checkout staff are always pleasant in our experience, just exceptionally so today!

loo-b-loo
20-Sep-06, 20:27
The Wick store seemed to be the same this afternoon as well - maybe it's due to the Bigger stores coming that they have bucked up there ideas.
Whatever the reason lets hopw it continues.

dragonfly
20-Sep-06, 20:28
Every shelf fully stocked, including the sandwich chiller

I noticed that too, maybe with the new manager its a new brush sweeps clean??

Alice in Blunderland
20-Sep-06, 20:30
Hey its like that in the co-op in Wick whenever the big guys come up the shop is a hive of activity.I have noticed that when they are having a big visitation the shelves magically become full ,its nice to see that it can be done ,just a pity its for the benefit of the bosses not the customer.:(

The Enigma
20-Sep-06, 20:37
Pretty sure it was a visit by their top boss... saw the helicopter they apparently use to transport him around in land in the rugby field about quarter to 6ish.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Sep-06, 20:42
Well I hope the big boss logs onto the org to see what a stir his visit caused and to see behind the false perfection that was on display:DMaybe we should email him a link to this section.

WeeBurd
20-Sep-06, 20:45
Well I hope the big boss logs onto the org to see what a stir his visit caused and to see behind the false perfection that was on display:DMaybe we should email him a link to this section.

I love it, Alice [lol] !!

taylor.4
20-Sep-06, 20:45
herd big bosses were up visiting both stores, thats why shelves were full, not normally like that:roll:

dunderheed
20-Sep-06, 20:48
we burd, did you take the free dram from me? ahem him?

WeeBurd
20-Sep-06, 20:50
Hahaha, I didna Dunderhee, but I am enjoying a nice home-made Baileys at the moment!

BTW, fine legs [lol] !

sam
20-Sep-06, 20:50
[quote=WeeBurd;136714]

how sensible when a high percentage of their customers are drivers[disgust]

WeeBurd
20-Sep-06, 20:53
[quote=WeeBurd;136714]

how sensible when a high percentage of their customers are drivers

Hence MrBurd was not allowed one either [lol] . Still, it's the thought that counts...

Well done, Dunderheed et all, just keep it up ;) .

obiron
20-Sep-06, 20:57
BTW, fine legs [lol] !

did someone have his kilt on?????????

dunderheed
20-Sep-06, 20:59
guilty as charged marm;)

obiron
20-Sep-06, 21:02
goodness they legs have not been aired for a while. lol

Foxy
20-Sep-06, 21:04
did someone have his kilt on?????????

The manager in the wick shop had his kilt on.
They had scotch beef and baking that you could taste, but I didn't see any free drams.

dunderheed
20-Sep-06, 21:07
nae luck ,in thurso we had,grants whisky,galloway medium cheese and of course hot ham and pineapple pizza

obiron
20-Sep-06, 21:10
nae luck ,in thurso we had,grants whisky,galloway medium cheese and of course hot ham and pineapple pizza
not that whiskey is my fave drink but if i was getting it for free!

Buttercup
20-Sep-06, 21:20
So all this just for the big boss who doesn't even shop there I bet! [disgust]
One wonders what they'd do for Royalty!:rolleyes:

concerned resident
21-Sep-06, 07:01
Sure it was not a prospective buyer, or accountants looking at sequestration.
They certainly need to get there act together, with serious competition on the horizon.

mccaugm
21-Sep-06, 20:11
herd big bosses were up visiting both stores, thats why shelves were full, not normally like that:roll:

In other words the staff and shop were laid out the way they should be all the time. Ridiculous situation. A member of the Somerfield aristocracy then??? ;)

Alice in Blunderland
21-Sep-06, 21:08
Tut, Tut we are all so naughty thinking the worst of the management.Maybe just maybe this is the sign of things to come better supplies and excellent service to stop their customers from going to shop elsewhere,its just a coincidence that the big boss was arriving the day they bucked their ideas up.............yeh and I forgot to mention the flying pigs:eek: :lol:

Piglet
21-Sep-06, 22:07
Was in somerfield in Thurso today & overheard the staff saying that the bosses were up beacuse the shops are going to get extended & refurbished but they had too check out which one in Caithness to do this too.

changilass
21-Sep-06, 22:45
I have just been on the Somerfield site and sent them a link to this thread, I await an answer with regards to the comments both on here and in my email.

Whitewater
21-Sep-06, 23:00
I heard it was a whisky promotion, not sure of the firm though, it could have been Grants.

engiebenjy
21-Sep-06, 23:01
Pretty sure it was a visit by their top boss... saw the helicopter they apparently use to transport him around in land in the rugby field about quarter to 6ish.

No wonder it's no the cheapest shop around! Is the train no good enough??

jay
22-Sep-06, 17:09
some people are just never happy! there is a regular pop at Somerfield on this forum and now they are trying to improve things you still critisise! As for sending this link to Somerfield - how petty can you get! The shop has new management and it has been steadily improving for weeks now - the staff look far happier and the shop is brighter and better over all - give them a chance! Okay so they may have pushed the boat out for a visit from the bosses - but how many of us don't tidy up etc if we're having visitors - the proof will be seen over the next few weeks - see if they keep the standard up before slagging them off. I for one think the staff deserve credit for pulling things around - I wonder just how long it will take you to start slagging off Tesco - given that its the old somerfield management somehow I don't think it'll be long!

changilass
22-Sep-06, 18:02
Havn't needed to give it a couple of weeks to see if they kept it up Jay, been in today and its back to normal.

As for sending this link to Somerfields, I stand by my decision, if the powers that be don't know whats going on then how can we expect changes.

jay
22-Sep-06, 18:58
well I was in the Thurso store today and it's still clean and bright and the staff were still looking happier and the shelves were still fuller - so presume you must in Wick then! The thurso store has a comment book on the deli counter - it's been there for weeks and I haven't noticed any adverse comments on it - just anonymous ones here! if you have complaints speak to the new management - there seems to be plenty of them and there are photos, names and positions on a board just inside the door

obiron
22-Sep-06, 19:06
Havn't needed to give it a couple of weeks to see if they kept it up Jay, been in today and its back to normal.

As for sending this link to Somerfields, I stand by my decision, if the powers that be don't know whats going on then how can we expect changes.

Sorry changilass but i think its a bit petty to send a link. Im sure most places really tidy things up a bit when the head boss is coming. The shops must be suffering with people leaving. the folk there are still doing there best. cut them a little slack.

WeeBurd
22-Sep-06, 21:14
some people are just never happy! there is a regular pop at Somerfield on this forum and now they are trying to improve things you still critisise! As for sending this link to Somerfield - how petty can you get! The shop has new management and it has been steadily improving for weeks now - the staff look far happier and the shop is brighter and better over all - give them a chance! Okay so they may have pushed the boat out for a visit from the bosses - but how many of us don't tidy up etc if we're having visitors - the proof will be seen over the next few weeks - see if they keep the standard up before slagging them off. I for one think the staff deserve credit for pulling things around - I wonder just how long it will take you to start slagging off Tesco - given that its the old somerfield management somehow I don't think it'll be long!

well I was in the Thurso store today and it's still clean and bright and the staff were still looking happier and the shelves were still fuller - so presume you must in Wick then! The thurso store has a comment book on the deli counter - it's been there for weeks and I haven't noticed any adverse comments on it - just anonymous ones here! if you have complaints speak to the new management - there seems to be plenty of them and there are photos, names and positions on a board just inside the door

Oh Jay, I’m guessing you either work there, or know someone who does, right? Hmmmm, I guess you're using your right to anonymity too?

I'd like to make it clear that I have never had a "pop" at Somerfields on the Org, so this thread is not part of some big conspiracy against them on my part. I do, however, often have a moan, both inside the shop, and towards friends and family about low stock, I'll hold my hands up to that one.

I shop in the Thurso shop at least 4 times a week, every week, that includes our main grocery shop. I am constantly disappointed at their lack of many things, more often than not bread, fresh chicken breasts & nappies (when the nappies are on offer)... I shop there as it is the easiest for parking, and it's on the road out of town, although I have now started to go to the Co-op once a week, to get my nappies. Had I know there was a comments book, I would certainly have used it, but I don't use the deli counter in there (personal choice, will not tarnish them publicly for that!). Obviously I'll not use it now, as my cover will be blown [para] ! I know many people that work there, and have no issue with the staff which I did state clearly in my original post. The point of this thread was to say the shop was fantastic on Wednesday, so why can't it always be like that? It's not a pop; it’s a genuine and valid comment. Funny really, that just one person's thoughts has touched such a raw nerve though, huh? :confused

Please pick your toys back up now, and take it on the chin as Dunderheed has so graciously done before you.

I look forward to seeing if it’s still looking good tomorrow afternoon…

Just to add, Somerfields now have my details and comments.

WeeBurd
22-Sep-06, 21:44
Sorry changilass but i think its a bit petty to send a link. Im sure most places really tidy things up a bit when the head boss is coming. The shops must be suffering with people leaving. the folk there are still doing there best. cut them a little slack.

Obiron, I think the gist of the original post has been lost somewhere though, my point was that it was a pleasure shoping there on Wednesday, and it would be great if it could always be like that. I have no issues with store cleanliness or staff attitude or anything like that - I think the team in Thurso are doing a great job as far as that goes. It was the fully stocked shelves that impressed (and perhaps frustrated) me. I agree, everyone tidy's up when the boss is due a visit, but shouldn't the shelves be stocked already?:confused

Buttercup
22-Sep-06, 21:49
Never knew they had a Comment Book! :eek: When did that appear? :confused

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Sep-06, 23:52
Never knew they had a Comment Book! :eek: When did that appear? :confused

Always had a comment book Buttercup.Mostly for the customers who have a complaint or a praise.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Sep-06, 00:17
Glad to hear they have a comment book.The only problem I can see with that is that if you are complaining and putting your name to it you then become public enemy number 1.If you put out a complaints book then you should act upon it and that doesnt mean resenting the person who complains which I would bet will be the first thing that will happen maybe Im wrong but I wonder how many members of staff read the book thinking I wonder who has said what today to help us maintain a good standard or is it I wonder whos been moaning today and trying to get us into bother?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Sep-06, 00:24
Glad to hear they have a comment book.The only problem I can see with that is that if you are complaining and putting your name to it you then become public enemy number 1.If you put out a complaints book then you should act upon it and that doesnt mean resenting the person who complains which I would bet will be the first thing that will happen maybe Im wrong but I wonder how many members of staff read the book thinking I wonder who has said what today to help us maintain a good standard or is it I wonder whos been moaning today and trying to get us into bother?

Alice,the best thing would be to speak out loud about it to the member of staff,cos once they know about it,they will try their hardest to do somethin about it.

changilass
23-Sep-06, 00:34
Alice,the best thing would be to speak out loud about it to the member of staff,cos once they know about it,they will try their hardest to do somethin about it.

Cedric, I have complained descreetly to the manager on a number of occassions, but it has made no difference

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Sep-06, 00:39
Cedric, I have complained descreetly to the manager on a number of occassions, but it has made no difference

Which store?

Alice in Blunderland
23-Sep-06, 00:45
Thanks for that Cedric I have no problem with speaking out and putting my name to it but openly signing your name in a book on display may put other people off which defeats the purpose of having a complaints book.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Sep-06, 00:52
Thanks for that Cedric I have no problem with speaking out and putting my name to it but openly signing your name in a book on display may put other people off which defeats the purpose of having a complaints book.

I know orgers by their avators,I know orgers by their user name.I know orgers by their avators,user name and TRUE identity.Their secrets shall remain my own.

Same goes for the complaints book,yer only putting what ye truly feel.Sometimes its good to talk?

jay
23-Sep-06, 06:46
no I don't work there, yes I do know people who work there, I also know people who work in the co-op and lidl's - just so fed up with so many threads on this forum starting off well and becoming so negative, it's happening far to often now

as for speaking to the manager, I've spoken to the new manager and I think you'll find that he'd take any complaint seriously

concerned resident
23-Sep-06, 07:20
Things appear to be back to normal, met daughter in somerfield friday afternoon,
she was not in a good mood, as she and my young grandson had been standing waiting to be served at the deli counter, assitant ignored her, and there was nobody else waiting to be served, then when some one else arrived who she new, she served them. My daughter just walked of in disgust. I have had this happen to me before, so as i said back to normal.

jay
23-Sep-06, 08:42
that should not happen, but if it was me, I would have said something there and then, have to bow out of this debate now as I'm heading south for a few weeks and will not have internet access

Wee Monkee
23-Sep-06, 10:46
no I don't work there, yes I do know people who work there, I also know people who work in the co-op and lidl's - just so fed up with so many threads on this forum starting off well and becoming so negative, it's happening far to often now

as for speaking to the manager, I've spoken to the new manager and I think you'll find that he'd take any complaint seriously

Well Jay please tell me if i'm wrong but weren't you the one that started all the continuous negative posts?:confused I have to agree with Wee Burd on this one though, every time i'm in Somerfields the shelves DO seem very low in stock & I find that if there is an offer on they only have a small number of the item in!

Buttercup
23-Sep-06, 19:27
Was in the Thurso store this afternoon and no sign of a comment book on the Deli counter! :confused

WeeBurd
23-Sep-06, 19:52
You noticed that too? I'm guessing I was supposed to ASK for it :roll: ,thus waiving my right to anonymity? Ah well...

On a positive note, whilst it wasn't as well stocked as Wednesday, I did manage to get everything on my list, even my favourite bread. Well done, Somerfields, keep up the good work!

Royster1911
23-Sep-06, 22:34
We who are at a higher level of intelligence than the local population of Thurso / Wick take it upon ourselves to visit and inspect premises which we provide for your conveniance to do your shopping. Should our visit cost more than twice your yearly salary,then this is why you employees are paid so little. Be greatfull that we can come to your store and see all the shelves full and all the staff enjoying themselves, albeit for one day only. Next time you are looking for boy one get one free and their is only one one the shelf, tough titty
[disgust]

dunderheed
25-Sep-06, 08:03
Things appear to be back to normal, met daughter in somerfield friday afternoon,
she was not in a good mood, as she and my young grandson had been standing waiting to be served at the deli counter, assitant ignored her, and there was nobody else waiting to be served, then when some one else arrived who she new, she served them. My daughter just walked of in disgust. I have had this happen to me before, so as i said back to normal.
i sometimes cover the lunchbreaks in the deli in the thurso store, if your back is turned to either slice meats ,make up pizzas or remove chickens from the rotisserie, it is sometimes hard to know who is first to be served, i personally ask who is first . sometimes the person behind the deli will make a mistake, afterall we are only human.
as for the missing comments book, i will look into this issue this morning when i start work.failing that why not just pass on your comments to the new management team or if your not comfortable with that , why not pass your comments to me and i'll gladly pass them onto the management. i can usually be found in the BWS aisle.

henry20
25-Sep-06, 08:55
I decided to go into Somerfields in Wick a few weeks ago and went to purchase a few different items (it was not a big weekly shop) and there were at least 3 different items that were rotten or mouldy. I know that these things will happen on occassions, but I've never seen it in Wick co-op or thurso co-op or somerfields. Maybe it was just a bad day, but it certainly put me off shopping there. None of the items were out of date and it made me wonder if they are stored correctly. They possibly are, but once I get a thought in my head, it can be hard to shake off!

Scunner
25-Sep-06, 09:04
Haven't been to Somerfield in Wick for some time. Can someone tell me if the entrance door or exit door look any cleaner than some time ago. A clean or a fresh coat of paint would not go amiss. Chipped and battered paint is not a welcoming sign.

The service at the check out was beyond compare. A young man with a slouch, with a please don't bother me look on his countenance, and without a please or thankyou. Maybe a Royal visit or a royal something else would not have gone amiss.

dunderheed
26-Sep-06, 07:14
when i went into work yesterday, as promised i looked into this for you. the old comments book had been filled ,we are at present waiting for a new one to come in ,however, there is another one in the coffee shop that you all are welcome to use.

Buttercup
26-Sep-06, 17:22
when i went into work yesterday, as promised i looked into this for you. the old comments book had been filled ,we are at present waiting for a new one to come in ,however, there is another one in the coffee shop that you all are welcome to use.
Thanks for that, I remember next time I'm in. ;)