PDA

View Full Version : george dunnets shop?

brandy
18-Jun-11, 16:07
what type of shop was this? trying to figure out the history of my shop.. and looking thru the old pics *G* any one have any ideas on its history?

Stack Rock
18-Jun-11, 16:45
If the shop is on the left at the top end of Bridge St, Wick it was a shoe shop.

Birons
18-Jun-11, 18:32
It sounds like you have the bug as well, Brandy.:Razz

I have had a few interesting conversations with the elder folk of the parish about how our shop used to be, I find it facinating as well.

Good luck with your new venture, I'm sure you will have plenty of people that will help fill in some blank spaces in the shops history when you are open.

bagpuss
18-Jun-11, 22:09
The shop you mention Brandy was for a while a paper shop. it also ran as a fruit shop for a while, but up until about 1973 it was George Dunnet's shoe shop. The Dunnets moved south (one son teaches in the Borders, the other in Colorado) round about then.

Birons premises was occupied for a while by Victoria Wine, but that shop, together with K2 and The Reel Thing was Billy Mowat's department store. Billy's youngest daughter is the actress Aline Mowat. Billy was the town provost, and his wife, also Aline taught at Wick High and founded the Arion choir.

Other businesses people might mention are: M&Co- formerly Fred Shearers; Morags- Black's department store; HB Reid- Sutherland Bros grocers; the Indian takeaway near the bookies- Turners.

then there was also Mackenzies (now Blythswood); Currys (Cancer research) Graham Dunnets shoe shop (the Hospice shop)

suzyq
18-Jun-11, 22:38
Have you tried any old trade directories. - Libraries often have them - usually under lock and key but just ask.

Birons
19-Jun-11, 09:43

Birons premises was occupied for a while by Victoria Wine, but that shop, together with K2 and The Reel Thing was Billy Mowat's department store. Billy's youngest daughter is the actress Aline Mowat. Billy was the town provost, and his wife, also Aline taught at Wick High and founded the Arion choir.
Thanks for the heads up, Bagpuss. I was aware that the late Mr Mowat had a daughter that’s an actress, but it wasn’t until you mentioned her name that I realized who she was.:Razz

I wonder if she still visits Wick, I could ask her to do an official opening for us.
:D

Have you tried any old trade directories. - Libraries often have them - usually under lock and key but just ask.

I have never done much with a library before, perhaps I ought to have a look before it’s too late. Thanks suzyq.

bagpuss
19-Jun-11, 17:51
Aline's sister Lesley Mackay lives in Reay- she might be your best bet if you want to ask her

linnie612
09-Jul-11, 16:44
The shop you mention Brandy was for a while a paper shop. it also ran as a fruit shop for a while, but up until about 1973 it was George Dunnet's shoe shop. The Dunnets moved south (one son teaches in the Borders, the other in Colorado) round about then.

Other businesses people might mention are: M&Co- formerly Fred Shearers; Morags- Black's department store; HB Reid- Sutherland Bros grocers; the Indian takeaway near the bookies- Turners.

then there was also Mackenzies (now Blythswood); Currys (Cancer research) Graham Dunnets shoe shop (the Hospice shop)

The building that now holds the Social Work Department housed a business at one time - was it also Sutherland Bros.? I remember the front door facing towards the bay down the wee steps.

secrets in symmetry
09-Jul-11, 16:47
I don't know anything about George Dunnet's shop Brandy, but good luck with your new venture!

Scunner
09-Jul-11, 17:34
The building that now holds the Social Work Department housed a business at one time - was it also Sutherland Bros.? I remember the front door facing towards the bay down the wee steps.

Sorry to disagree with you, but it was not Sutherland Bros, but Sutherland Furnishers

linnie612
09-Jul-11, 18:11

Sorry to disagree with you, but it was not Sutherland Bros, but Sutherland Furnishers

You haven't disagreed with me, I was merely asking a question - see above! I thought it was Sutherland something, and now you come to mention it, there was an awful lot of furniture about.........;). Any idea when it closed, or has that got you 'Scunnered'?:)

Mosser
10-Jul-11, 16:16

It was Sutherland's the Furnishers

Mosser

sweep
10-Jul-11, 18:22
it was sutherland's furniture shop ( danie dip). george dunnet's shop (as i remember) was where fraser's wallpaper shop is now! as a kid (pony mad) i went in to look at the saddlery and i still remember the smell of leather.....

Mosser
11-Jul-11, 17:56
it was sutherland's furniture shop ( danie dip). george dunnet's shop (as i remember) was where fraser's wallpaper shop is now! as a kid (pony mad) i went in to look at the saddlery and i still remember the smell of leather.....

The paint shop was formerly Dunnett's the Saddlers, Goerge Dunnett's shop was what is now Brandy's
Mosser

bagpuss
11-Jul-11, 22:32
The Sutherland family had three businesses: the wholesalers (Skirl and Gordon); the grocery shop (where HB Reid's shop now stands) and the furniture shop where the social work offices now stand.

Similarly the Mackenzies had the furniture shop (now Blythswood); the Furniture Village and Kiare in Brown Place; a pram shop where the bookies now stands, and the removals business. Alan and Alison also had Headlines hair salon and head Gardiner in inverness

and don't forget Fairways which was where Made in Caithness now operates- or Cabrellis which had the cafe at the Camps along with the Rendevous restaurant and the cafe where Semi Chem operates

Torvaig
12-Jul-11, 02:09
9745Sutherland Bros., now Sandy Manson's chemist shop. Photo taken in the late 1800's