PDA

View Full Version : Breakthrough!

elaine
20-Sep-06, 19:46
I had a major breakthrough at work today and I'm so chuffed that I just had to talk about it!

I work in a high school teaching music and found out this year that a pupil with Down's Syndrome would be in one of my first year classes. We had a meeting at the start about his general ability and it turned out to be pre-level A (pre-primary 1) reading and writing. His parents are insistant that he attends the school even though learning support advised that there was a school up the road much more suited to his needs.

I thought to myself, "Blimey, my first years start off with a unit of keyboard then guitar, then drumkit - What am I going to do with him?? Help!"

After two weeks it was clear that he did not have the dexterity for keyboard and did not really understand letter names. We had a fab supply music teacher in who had done some Special Ed and she told me that he would most likely understand colours better than letters and a bigger instrument like the xylophone would be easier for him etc, etc.

So......... I went on to devise a very basic colour-coded tune for him. Today I stuck coloured dots on the xylophone and gave him the "colour-chart" for Merrily We Roll Along. Lo and behold! One period later he could play tune perfectly (with some help from the assistant who showed him what line he was on).

I was absolutely delighted with him and gave him a Merit for his success and next week he will perform it to his class (who can't wait to hear what he has been working on all this time!). If he manages to perform in front of them I'm thinking of giving him a spot in the X-mas show - I'm hoping this will be a great confidence booster, what do you all think? Does anyone out there have experience of kids with Down's? If so, any advise would be gratefully received!

changilass
20-Sep-06, 20:05
Elaine that is lovely to hear, I am glad his parents stuck to their guns about putting him in mainstream rather than a special school.

The more of these kids in mainstream education the better the understanding of others to their condition, which will in turn hopefully lead to less discrimination.

It is the fear of the unknown that frightens folk and leads to discrimination.

I hope you continue to feel the benefits of teaching this student, I know from personal experience how rewarding working with special needs kids can be.:D

Thanks for sharing

cuddlepop
20-Sep-06, 20:11
Y ou are an amazing teacher ,you saw a problem and found a way round it.
Too often we have found that our kids appear to be a :problem :for the learning support department.Mainstream for these kids only work when the teaching staff have the ability to be flexible in their approach to learning.

elaine
20-Sep-06, 20:26
Cheers guys!

Rewarding isn't the word! Today was the first time that I have seen him smile!! Am gonna do him Eastenders this weekend!!

sam
20-Sep-06, 21:02
its heartwarming to hear of kids with special needs being given that bit more support & encouragement, many of then can go on to achieve great things, all to often there is not enought support and encouragment for them, well done elaine :D

r.rackstraw
20-Sep-06, 23:18
Elaine
I take my hat off to you! Keep up the good work

Piglet
20-Sep-06, 23:25
Well done Elaine.
It's great to hear your good news - keep up the good work & support. :)

Lucy
21-Sep-06, 16:03
Well done Elaine, i bet your chuffed to bits. Pass on a great big Well done to your pupil and his support teacher.:D

goldenguernsey
21-Sep-06, 22:19
Just goes to show what fantastic results can be acieved through good communication and people willing to take the time.
Well done

Lolabelle
21-Sep-06, 22:32
I think you have been brilliant to have come up with a way to break down the barriers between the kids. What thrilled me most is that the other kids are keen to hear his performance. This kind of interaction can only be good for all. The Downs boy being accepted and the others learning to accept someone who is different.
Good on you.:Razz

Errogie
24-Sep-06, 21:33
Would it be worthwhile trying to get him to play by ear? From my experience in traditional music it seems to be one of the most undeveloped faculties which is usually available to most people and might be an area which his handicap doesn't intrude upon.

roblovesplastic
24-Sep-06, 21:37
I had a major breakthrough at work today and I'm so chuffed that I just had to talk about it!

I work in a high school teaching music and found out this year that a pupil with Down's Syndrome would be in one of my first year classes. We had a meeting at the start about his general ability and it turned out to be pre-level A (pre-primary 1) reading and writing. His parents are insistant that he attends the school even though learning support advised that there was a school up the road much more suited to his needs.

I thought to myself, "Blimey, my first years start off with a unit of keyboard then guitar, then drumkit - What am I going to do with him?? Help!"

After two weeks it was clear that he did not have the dexterity for keyboard and did not really understand letter names. We had a fab supply music teacher in who had done some Special Ed and she told me that he would most likely understand colours better than letters and a bigger instrument like the xylophone would be easier for him etc, etc.

So......... I went on to devise a very basic colour-coded tune for him. Today I stuck coloured dots on the xylophone and gave him the "colour-chart" for Merrily We Roll Along. Lo and behold! One period later he could play tune perfectly (with some help from the assistant who showed him what line he was on).

I was absolutely delighted with him and gave him a Merit for his success and next week he will perform it to his class (who can't wait to hear what he has been working on all this time!). If he manages to perform in front of them I'm thinking of giving him a spot in the X-mas show - I'm hoping this will be a great confidence booster, what do you all think? Does anyone out there have experience of kids with Down's? If so, any advise would be gratefully received!

these are the words of a teacher that actually gives a crap