PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone researching the Downie Family?

sgmcgregor
17-Jun-11, 23:36
Good evening,

....or maybe I should say "Good night" given the time I am posting this.

I have a George Downie (1855-1893) married to Mary Miller (1858-1932), and was wondering if anyone knows the origin of the Downie family in Caithness. George was a fisherman, and was lost at sea on the 14th or 15th of February 1893 on a fishing boat registered as WK327 Charlotte. Mary Miller is my family line, but I thought that Downie was an unsual name, and was wondering whether anyone knew what part of the world it originated from - surely it isn't a Caithness name?

George Downie's parents were George Downie and Ann (Annie) Oag, and Sarclet (Thrumster) is the area of interest.

Any information would be very helpful.

Regards,
Steven

Fraslet
19-Jun-11, 18:09
As far as I can tell George Downie b 1855 was the son of George Downie (b 1831, West Lothian, 1841 Census at High St Linlithgow) and Anne Oag (1828-1873, Sarclet), that George Downie's parents were Alexander Downie (b 1811, West Lothian, 1841 Census at High St Linlithgow) and Janet Corner (b 1811, Laurieston, Stirlingshire, 1841 Census at High St Linlithgow, 1851 Census at North Basin St Grangemouth).

George Downie b 1855 was the brother in law of my great grand aunt.

I don't know any further back than that.

sgmcgregor
19-Jun-11, 19:27
Thanks for the information, very interesting.

I had no idea where the Downie family had come from, as I hadn't gone back any further.

Regards,
Steven

robbain
19-Jun-11, 19:31
Steven
George Downie is relative of mine drop me an email to robert@eilrobcatz2.freeserve.co.uk he is my 2nd cousin 3 times removed

Ashes
20-Jun-11, 23:51
George Downie

He was my fathers Grandfather, I have traced the Downies back to the Black Isles, Fortrose/Rosemarkie.
I also have the news paper cutting reporting the Charlotte losing 10 family members.

sgmcgregor
21-Jun-11, 18:17
Ashes,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I too have a copy of the newspaper article about the loss of the Charlotte, but I also have some other documents available for the Downie family which may be of interest to you.

I have an entry for George Downie and Mary Miller's son, George, taken from the Royal Naval Reserve Enrolment Book (dated 2 April 1906);
Poor Relief Records relating to Mary Downie (nee Miller), and Margaret Anderson (nee Downie), the widow of Joseph Anderson who was also lost in the same accident;
Poor Relief Records relating to Johan Miller (nee Downie);
Also some records relating to Helen Downie, and Annie Swanson Downie

If you would like any of these records, please PM me with your email address, and I can forward them on. We can also exchange other information if you are happy to.

Regards,
Steven