PDA

View Full Version : Electric Wet Central Heating Systems

carasmam
20-Sep-06, 16:49
Does anyone have any experience of an electric combi boiler as opposed to gas or oil ? We live in an area where there is no mains gas and are debating all the pros and cons of oil, gas or electric heating. At the mo we have nightstores heaters and hate them - it is so hard to control the release of heat and a lot is being wasted when we are out at work and then the house is cold in the evening when we need it. Any opinions/advice from the orgers :cool:

lab
20-Sep-06, 17:42
we have just had this installed we did have storage heaters we put it on timer for the times we are in, and find it cheaper to run so far than our old heaters and water heater, it heats up almost insantly and is far warmer than old. you do need a seperate water tank for heating though and i found this the most expensive thing in the instalation.

j4bberw0ck
20-Sep-06, 17:54
There's a rule of thumb that says that oil is most expensive to install and cheapest to run; electric storage heathers are cheapest to install, most expensive to run. I had them in one house some years ago and they are truly wasteful. Freeze on winter evenings and have the windows open during the day to cool the place down, was my experience.

Don't know about bottled gas (I suspect that's very pricey for CH) or bulk Calor, but my choice would be oil every time.

George Brims
20-Sep-06, 20:26
Peats! Seriously, burn peats.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Sep-06, 21:23
There's a rule of thumb that says that oil is most expensive to install and cheapest to run;

Is that still the case our oil bill has more than doubled in the past 12 months, not because or consuption has increased but just due to the price per litre of oil. But yes I agree with the fact that stoage heaters are rubbish we ripped ours out a few years ago and put in oil central heating. an electric combi boiler sounds interesting though. I wonder how much they cost to run copmared to oil or gas.

carasmam
20-Sep-06, 22:19
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll phone for a quote for installation and see if I can find out more about running costs.
George Brims - do you know a good brickie? I'll need someone to build me a lum if I'm going to burn peats ;) Can I borrow a tusker too :Razz

Piglet
20-Sep-06, 23:08
Last year we changed to bottled gas cos we dont have the option of oil . . . garden to small but this has worked out a lot cheaper for us. The bottled gas dose our cooker as well as our heating. It works out alot better for us anyway. :)