PDA

View Full Version : Who owns this ginger tomcat???

EJG
17-Jun-11, 00:02
Hi there - I wonder if anyone can help. I live in the Wick High School area and for the last year at least this massive ginger tom cat with a red collar has been coming round my house several times each day. I cant leave my door open on a sunny day as he comes in and sprays in my home. I shut the door and leave the kitchen window slightly ajar but he comes in there and growls ready to attack my kitten! I love animals but this moggy is a total thug [evil]- he has mauled neighbours cats over and over and they are sick of paying vets bills - my last cat had to spend the last 4 months of her life indoors as she was so badly mauled by him on two occasions that she couldn't stand or eat for days. This is not normal cat wounds - they are 1 inch lacerations - I've never seen cat wounds like it. I now have a nine month old cat who I adore and she is lying beside me as I type with a massive wound in her side and she howls when she tries to stand. I've had enough!
I know that cats can do what they want and go where they want - but as far as I can see this cat doesn't look as if he's been dressed so please please please - whoever he belongs to - take the steps of doing this to see if his behaviour improves - it certainly cant get worse!
Thanks for you appreciated help.

http://forum.caithness.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Corrie 3
17-Jun-11, 08:49
You need to have a water pistol to hand and give him a few squirts with it, he wont come round again!!!

C3......;)

Dadie
17-Jun-11, 09:33
You will need something more of a detterant than a wee water pistol as it seems that he is the leader of the pack so to speak...
A good soaking with the garden hose everytime he sets foot in your garden might do it!
He thinks your cat is in his territory and needs something to change his mind about where his territory boundaries lie!

changilass
17-Jun-11, 09:35
Have you contactes sspca, sounds like it needs more than just a soaking.

Carole
17-Jun-11, 09:52
Given the injuries your cat and others have sustained, I wouldn't play around with water jets. I'd have caught this cat and handed it over to the authorities with a full list of its 'misdeeds'. If it was a dog, it wouldn't have got away with such violent behaviour for so long.

EJG
18-Jun-11, 01:01
Hi and thanks for that. Unfortunately I am unable to catch it myself but the fact that it has a collar will undoubtably mean that it has an owner and I would hope that this link may get the message through to them. If it happens again which it undoubtably will I think I will phone the SSPCA or Cats Protection for advice. Ive had cats all my life and never come across such a horror - its maybe not the cats fault but getting it dressed should hopefully improve his behaviour. If not I hope he goes a long holiday and doesnt come back! lol
Fingers crossed!!!!

ps - Kitten is eating ok thank goodness but she wont let me see her wound - Will just have to watch her closely incase infection occurs. Sigh

bobman
18-Jun-11, 11:52
Do you have a air gun?

Carole
18-Jun-11, 22:41
Do you have a air gun?

...Meaning?

suzyq
18-Jun-11, 22:46
As the cat is marking 'his' territory I suggest buckets of urine over it (outside of course) to establish yourself as the aplha animal. Let the urine stand if you can so it's a bit more pungent.

Dadie
18-Jun-11, 22:47
Cats are a lawless breed as they have rights to wander and owners are not libel for their actions....
Would catching the cat and paying for his op be a viable option I would be tempted...even though his owner might be worried for a while...and might be surprised about missing bits!
But thats not really going to happen...think you could get in all sorts of trouble....
Is there not a phone no or anything on the cats tag, as you say he is collared that could lead you to his slaves/owners?

Carole
18-Jun-11, 23:05
Would catching the cat and paying for his op be a viable option I would be tempted...even though his owner might be worried for a while...and might be surprised about missing bits!
I was thinking more of handing the cat over to the police or SSPCA (if they would accept it) saying it was injuring others. At the very least it would cause the owner to take note of their pet's activities and hopefully they would be spurred into taking some action.

As the cat is marking 'his' territory I suggest buckets of urine over it (outside of course) to establish yourself as the aplha animal. Let the urine stand if you can so it's a bit more pungent.
I like this.

Dadie
18-Jun-11, 23:12
Errmm selective quoting!
And said you would get into trouble!...
Not really like alien abduction where the intended wakes up without a clue the vets will have records!

Carole
18-Jun-11, 23:24
Errmm selective quoting!
And said you would get into trouble!...
Not really like alien abduction where the intended wakes up without a clue the vets will have records!

Errmm, not exactly disagreeing with you. It's late, maybe one of us has misunderstood the meaning of the other's post?

cat2411
19-Jun-11, 00:03
No doubt this cat will have a pattern for when it goes out visiting. Perhaps the vets or sspca could catch it for you to see if its chipped. My cat is nearly 16 and not so long ago she was also attacked by another cat. I had to take her to the vets due to the wounds she had. Then had to watch her move about in pain whilst the antibiotics and painkillers kicked in. Some cats are just plain nasty!! The only way I got the other cat to stop visiting was to throw a jug of water beside it. Its not been back since.

badger
20-Jun-11, 15:47
I'd be banned if I said what I would do to that cat. Why is that cats are allowed to roam free? No other domestic animals can. Dogs wandering can be caught by the dog warden. I am fed up with the cats that come into my garden and frighten the birds. Saw one yesterday with a bird in its mouth and the poor bird parents going frantic. If I'd been quick enough I would have thrown something hard at it. I love my birds and now hate cats. Wish their owners would keep them indoors or in a cage in the garden with a run like rabbits. I've tried hose and water pistol in the past but by the time it's ready the cat has gone.

They're also a danger on the roads running across with no warning but there's a frightful fuss if beloved pet gets run over. Sorry, they shouldn't be there.

That's going to get me lynched [evil]