PDA

View Full Version : I tasted the brose!

nevergiveup
16-Jun-11, 21:56
During a recent trip home to Thurso i made it my mission to buy some Brose! I was delighted to find it in Mackays next to the Bistro restaurant.I opened the packet took a deep sniff and was not disappointed.
All the memories came flooding back.Next morning for breakfast it was on the menu!
Then the preparation,take 2 heaped tablespoons put in small bowl,add boilingwater and knob of butter,mix to a stiff paste,add cold milk,then TASTE!
It tasted just as i remembered it,beautiful,like peanut butter custard!
S:Razz:Razzo after more than 50 years i was pleasantly surprised that this once staple breakfastfood had not changed.

changilass
16-Jun-11, 22:04
I have only tasted it once, I promptly threw up, so havn't gone back there again. YEUK

sandyr1
16-Jun-11, 22:27
During a recent trip home to Thurso i made it my mission to buy some Brose! I was delighted to find it in Mackays next to the Bistro restaurant.I opened the packet took a deep sniff and was not disappointed.
All the memories came flooding back.Next morning for breakfast it was on the menu!
Then the preparation,take 2 heaped tablespoons put in small bowl,add boilingwater and knob of butter,mix to a stiff paste,add cold milk,then TASTE!
It tasted just as i remembered it,beautiful,like peanut butter custard!
S:Razz:Razzo after more than 50 years i was pleasantly surprised that this once staple breakfastfood had not changed.

Vunderful stuff!! Doth bring back memories.....

Dadie
16-Jun-11, 23:23
I like it plain without butter and salt and added milk!
just as it comes when "cooked"

golach
16-Jun-11, 23:26
Not had proper Brose since I was a bairn

linnie612
17-Jun-11, 00:11

What is it?

golach
17-Jun-11, 00:16
What is it?

As far as i can remember it was fine milled oat meal, my father as a farm worker got a bag of oat meal as part of his wages, his "Perks" or Perquisits (sp) if I remember it was half a hundredweight known as a bole of meal, half went to the hens, the rest to the family.

annemarie482
17-Jun-11, 00:19
What is it?

i wasnt sure either so googled it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brose

linnie612
17-Jun-11, 00:32
As far as i can remember it was fine milled oat meal, my father as a farm worker got a bag of oat meal as part of his wages, his "Perks" or Perquisits (sp) if I remember it was half a hundredweight known as a bole of meal, half went to the hens, the rest to the family.

i wasnt sure either so googled it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brose

Mmm..Thanks both. I like oatmeal but I don't think this is the dish for me - must ask if my mum if she has tried it though!

Leanne
17-Jun-11, 01:09
I'm imagining a baby food version of porridge and boking...

sandyr1
17-Jun-11, 01:11
It puts a lining on your stomach....That's an awful word....BOKING>>> Shud be banned.

seadog
17-Jun-11, 01:22

I liked oatmeal brose when I was a bairn,, my brother liked peasmeal brose, you need plenty salt to savour the taste although that may not be good for you.

changilass
17-Jun-11, 01:25
It was the peasmeal brose I tasted, must try oatmeal brose, sounds a bitty friendlier on the stomach.

nevergiveup
17-Jun-11, 09:41
You can also add porridge oats to the peasemeal mixture. Tasty and healthy food! an aquired taste, dont give up, try it !!