PDA

View Full Version : McDonald/MacDonald of Staxigoe, Wick

sgmcgregor
16-Jun-11, 21:31
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone was researching the following family...

Margaret Miller (1831-1906) and Donald McDonald (c.1831-1892). They were married on 26 November 1858 in Wick, and they had at least five children...

Kenneth; Alexander; Robert; Archibald Caskie; and Donald.

The above children are in no order of year born, as I don't have much on them at present. This family isn't a direct ancestor, but Margaret Miller is a sister of my G.G.G. Grandmother. I'm just trying to track what happened to various members of the family, whether they remained in Caithness, or may have moved away south.

Kenneth McDonald married Peterina Marshall in 1880, Wick, and had at least two daughters;
It is believed that Robert McDonald married, but it isn't known to whom (he is mentioned as married in a Poor Relief Application by his mother);
Archibald Caskie McDonald married twice - 1. Jessie Taylor, in 1891, Wick, and they had at least two daughters; 2. Johan Dunnett, no children from this marriage;
Donald McDonald married Elizabeth Sinclair in 1887, Wick. I believe that they had at least six children. The local newspapers of the World War 1 era mention a Mr and Mrs Donald McDonald, of Staxigoe, who have five sons serving in uniform, and one son-in-law named Harry Rosie.

If anyone has any information, or think there is any link, I would love to hear from you.

Regards,
Steven

Murdoch
02-Jun-13, 23:50
Hi, My Grandmother was Johan Dunnet & she was born 30.10.1891 & died in 1966 at Punchbowl, NSW, Australia & the record shows Bankstown NSW Australia as this was the district. She was married to my Grand father Roderick MacDonald born 8.9.1881 & I am not sure when he died (about 1940) as my father remembers coming home from work when he was about 15 & seeing the hearse at their home & his father deceased on the floor & his half brother Jackie had laid him out. What is interesting in your post is that you had said that Johan Dunnett had been previously married which is also known to be the case with my grandmother Johan Dunnet (Dunnett) & my uncle Jackie was also born as a Dunnet. Johan Dunnet's mother appears to be Annie Rose Dunnet & her father John Dunnet but our Births Deaths & marriages shows her father as Joaan & not john which may confirm the Nordic (Nowegian) connection in our family. I hope this helps you & do you have anything that may interest me as both my sister & myself are in the very early stages of research. Very best regards, Murdoch MacDonald

sgmcgregor
03-Jun-13, 17:07
Hi, My Grandmother was Johan Dunnet & she was born 30.10.1891 & died in 1966 at Punchbowl, NSW, Australia & the record shows Bankstown NSW Australia as this was the district. She was married to my Grand father Roderick MacDonald born 8.9.1881 & I am not sure when he died (about 1940) as my father remembers coming home from work when he was about 15 & seeing the hearse at their home & his father deceased on the floor & his half brother Jackie had laid him out. What is interesting in your post is that you had said that Johan Dunnett had been previously married which is also known to be the case with my grandmother Johan Dunnet (Dunnett) & my uncle Jackie was also born as a Dunnet. Johan Dunnet's mother appears to be Annie Rose Dunnet & her father John Dunnet but our Births Deaths & marriages shows her father as Joaan & not john which may confirm the Nordic (Nowegian) connection in our family. I hope this helps you & do you have anything that may interest me as both my sister & myself are in the very early stages of research. Very best regards, Murdoch MacDonald

Murdoch,

Johan Dunnett (in my family tree) married Archibald McDonald on 24 June 1919. On the marriage certificate she is recorded as a widow, and her name is given as Johan Bain - so her previous husband must have been "Bain". Her age is recorded as 43 (so born circa 1876), and her parents are recorded as William Dunnett and Jessie Bremner.

Unfortunately I don't think this ties in with the family you are researching, so I am unable to help with any details that would be relevant to your research.

Sorry I can't be of help to you, but good luck with your research.

Kind Regards,
Steven

Oddquine
08-Jun-13, 20:46
PM'd you Murdoch!

debimac
09-Jun-13, 18:41
Hi Steven. There is pic's on here in the staxigoe A to Z listings only going back to the 1920's of people living in and around staxigoe Area . My father Donald Macdonald not in the pic but told me his mother ( Annie dunnett ) and brother( cisher a Macdonald ) and sister ( bettie don ) are in the pic. My father was born in staxigoe and his father Alexander Macdonald also born in staxigoe , so I assume they may be the same family as you are researching,I no longer live in wick but still have cousins living there ( not spoken to for a long time ) but they have got a family tree going back a few generations I will see if I can dig out his number and see what I can come up with !!! And let you know. Wynn Macdonald. I am signed in under my wife's name lol !!!!

sgmcgregor
10-Jun-13, 17:40
Wynn,

Thank you for your reply. I believe there may have been two McDonald/MacDonald families in the Staxigoe area, but if you can trace your lineage back to Donald McDonald and Margaret Miller, then there is a link. Of their family I now know most about Donald McDonald and Elizabeth Sinclair's family.

If you think there is a link then I can PM you with my email address.

Regards,
Steven