PDA

View Full Version : Broadband upgrade

weezer 316
16-Jun-11, 11:20
No sure if anyone has any more info on this, but I was talking to sky the other day and they were trying to flog me their broadband. They said when they put my number into their checker that their unbundled packages will be available within the next 3-6 months at Thurso exchange, although they had no fixed date. Anyone heard anything about unbundling going on? We still waiting a date on the 21cn up here as far as I know which will allow 20mb

poppett
16-Jun-11, 12:24
I am with PIPEX and was told my package price would reduce in September when the Thurso exchange is upgraded/unbundled.

RecQuery
16-Jun-11, 12:25
That's interesting. I know there was a tender contract (http://www.publiccontractsscotland.gov.uk/search/show/Search_View.aspx?id=JUN093604) put up recently to improve broadband in the area and that there's been a fair amount of funding received. That request specifies 30Mbps or above to all by 2020 so I don't think it's the same thing, but it could be a staggered timescale with some areas getting better earlier.

If all that money is wasted on giving ADSL2+ to people in the area I'll be annoyed to say the least, we'll have overpaid for crap, recommended by dodgy consultants and constantly be playing catchup if that's the case.

EDIT: Actually, I did hear that Tesco have a contract with Cable and Wireless to LLU all exchanges where they build a store so perhaps it's that.

weezer 316
16-Jun-11, 12:48
Yeah agreed, ADSL2+ state of the art about 4-5 years ago at the latest. Must say the pipex post makes a bit of sense as when I worked for BT I heard they were simply clubbing together to hire a few openreach bods and then half a dozen companies all get their stuff installed at the same time. Seems to make sense, would then result in a whole host of unbundled services being available all at once

RecQuery
16-Jun-11, 15:02
Thurso Exchange details (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSTHU)
Wick Exchange details (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSWIC)

Both of those look the same they always have, still I'm hopeful. Might get onto my ISP (AAISP) see what their take on it is. Regardless of LLU provider most of them resell access to others or share space anyway.

gillsbay
16-Jun-11, 17:00
This sounds possible as lots of LLU equipment will be going spare due to most of the LLU providers taking the gear out of exchanges which have 21CN, thus meaning they would be able to use it in exchanges where there is currently no LLU at relatively low cost

secrets in symmetry
17-Jun-11, 00:27
"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning: "I can't configure Debian."After spending a few hours last month fighting with a very buggy Unity in Natty, I considered switching to Debian. But my Fedora friends report that Gnome 3 is in a similar state, so I think I'll sit it out until Oneiric makes its appearance.

Staying on topic, one advantage of making the move South is that one no longer needs to worry about internet speed. My ISP is trying to sell me a 100Mbps package...