PDA

View Full Version : hen sitting on eggs

donnick
13-Jun-11, 22:19
hi i have a hen sitting on fertalized eggs but today when i went up she was off them and the were cold but she is back on them now ,do u think they will be knackerd .I have tryed moving her out of the hen house so she is only sitting on these eggs but she flew out of there back to hen hoose so again they were unattended for a couple of hrs.I am guessing they will be knackerd .:(

_Ju_
14-Jun-11, 07:29
I would let her carry on with the eggs. Hens know what they are doing. Give her the full three weeks plus a few extra days. Tell us if any hatch or if only some hatch!

donnick
14-Jun-11, 17:13
ok thanks i will do

Leanne
14-Jun-11, 18:47
This happened to mine last year - took the eggs in and popped them in an incubator. They hatched ok, just a couple of days late. I suppose it depends how old the eggs are. Let us know how you get on.

thomas1donald
14-Jun-11, 20:13
hi we have a few hens and one sitts on her hegs all night and of them 2 to 3 hours every day and we still got a clutch of chicks so wouldnt worry about her leaving them

donnick
14-Jun-11, 22:45
cool that sound promising thanks will defo keep you all updated not due untill around the 24th

Stefan
14-Jun-11, 22:58
One of mine recently got startled and flew over the poultry netting then couldn't get back. She must have been off the eggs most of the day. Put her back in at night, same happened couple days later. Still got 8 out of 11.
Had another hen who would be off her eggs for several hours each day.... they know what they are doing. It's us with all that high tech stuff who get worried sick if the temperature drops by 0.1°C for more than 4 minutes or the humidity rises over 46% because it's raining....

piratelassie
17-Jun-11, 23:49
I have two broody hens who sit all day with no eggs underneath them, I have to lift them outside to get some food and water, but they want to go straight back in the coop,,Its getting a bit flustrating as it been going on now for over six weeks or more..