PDA

View Full Version : Hippophae Rhamnoides / Sea Buckthorn.

Kenn
11-Jun-11, 18:49
Does any one have this in their garden?
I have the right type of soil to grow this lovely shrub but don't know if it would over winter here.

Anji
12-Jun-11, 10:10
There's Sea Buckthorn on the edge of Dunnet Forest and so it survives well in Caithness, but I've not seen any for sale locally. I'd like some myself.

Violetsky
15-Jun-11, 08:57
My mother grows this very successfully in her garden in Scarfskerry. The garden is right next to the sea and it survives there no bother, so would imagine it would grow anywhere in Caithness. Dont know where to get it though as she was given a cutting many years ago from somebody that is no longer with us.

singysmum
15-Jun-11, 16:07
I bought a bundle of bare root Seabuckthorn form Castletown nurseries a couple of winters ago. They have survived but suffered from the last two harsh winters and don't look as good as the ones in Dunnet Forest just yet!! Hubby gave them a 'tidying' prune in spring and they seem to have got a good hold this year. We are in Staxigoe and they are planted as a hedge on the road side border of the garden. I haven't had much success with cuttings as yet, although I read that they are quite easy to grow from seeded berries if you can get hold of them. Hope this helps.

Helen

Kenn
16-Jun-11, 00:43
Many thanks for all the information both here and by pm, think I will be ordering this shrub shortly both male and female, here's hoping I can establish it.